PDA

View Full Version : weed control in new lawn

fame804
10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
renovated lawn on sept 3.. with no rain here in central va. for a month i watered daily to keep things moist. I now have a few weeds growing in with the new grass. My question is what should be applied to control the weed that will not harm the new grass thats still coming up? or should i cut the grass now and wait a until nov. to apply some form of weed conrol? check out the pics of before and after.

Puttinggreens
10-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Keep watering, the roots are still relatively short and young grass is still thirsty.

Begin mowing: Mowing will encourage the plants to tiller, instead of growing straight up, thin and tall. Mowing is a very important when trying to get the lawn to fill in and thicken up. Mow often if you can to encourage the lawn to thicken quickly

Did you apply any starter fertilizer since you seeded?

Weeds: Some of the weeds will not survive once you begin regular mowing. Some will, these are easily taken care of later in November.

For now, it is more important to mow often, get the lawn thicker, and go after the weeds a little later.

Smallaxe
10-06-2007, 10:09 PM
That section with all the weeds should just be reseeded. If it is too late in VA then wait till spring. Then again.
You may have the best germinating right around the corner.

fame804
10-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the tips.. I ran it down with the mower today and its really starting to look good. Its been about 4 weeks now and i still have new seeding coming in
throughout the yard. I think i will hit it again with starter fertilizer and keep up the watering.

sildoc
10-07-2007, 12:30 AM
This late in the year I would not worry about weeds. Mow and continue a good fert regiment. Next spring hit is with a preem and broad and grassy week killer for those that survived the winter. Your turf is about to hit dormancy and won't grow much but roots (what makes a good lawn). fall is the time to establish turf spring is the time to get it up to snuff.