PDA

View Full Version : Thing about starting a business (not sure if its worth it)

RLS24
10-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Ok, I have a bit of a unique situation here. I am currently a full-time EMT and spend 4 days a week on an ambulance. While the pay is ok, a little extra would be nice, so i was thinking about starting up a small lawn cutting business. I work on a rotation shift, so its 4 days on, 4 days off. I would probably only do 10-15 accounts, just enough to keep bussy? anyway, as far as equipment goes, I have a Honda 21", brand new echo PB-200 blower, brand new echo trimmer (cant remember the model, its a Commercial grade one though) and at the very least was thinking of picking up a McLane edger next spring. I have a'03 Ford Explorer with a V8 in it, so i figure it would be enough to tow a small trailer. I'm thinking all i'd really need would be a walk-behind (i was thinking a 36" would do) and the trailer? any suggestions on equipment and business ideas would be great! thanks!

HOOLIE
10-07-2007, 12:35 AM
You might be able to fit all that stuff into the Explorer and not need a trailer...of course if you want a 36" then you'd need a trailer. That of else sell the Explorer and buy a truck and use ramps for a 36"

10-15 jobs would be good...still leave you a buffer for rain.

capetan
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
15 accounts sounds responsible, a 36 would be nice, you might want to look at an exmark model, either get a truck or trailer..... good luck, sounds like your on the right track

All_Toro_4ME
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
10-15 accounts sounds like that will keep you plenty busy. For the trailer, you will probably do fine with a 5 x 10. You may outgrow it before you know it though. The 36" will be a good machine to buy as well. Get a sulky for it though, you will be more productive.

Integritylawncare
10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
10-15 accounts will keep you busy. Go for a enclosed if security is an issue if not an open trailer will allow you to take care of leaves and delivery of loose items.
Don't be surprised if you business doesn't grow as fast as others on the forums has but keep at it. It takes time for word of mouth to get around. This is my second season and it has been a slow growing business for me.
Go for a 36 inch hydro.

DillonsLawnCare
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
heres the equipment that i would recomend and the price.

Trailer 5 x 10 $400

36" Used eXmark Viking Hydro WalkBehind w/ECS $1,500-$2,500

Echo,Stihl,Shidaiwa,Husqvarna Backpack Blower $250

Weed-Eater(whatever you mentioned earlier) $250

Advertising- $500(flyers, cards, signs)

You're looking around $3,500 to get started. some might disagree on the info that i gave you but it was a quicky kind of answer, so JMO.

LindblomRJ
10-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Trade the exploder for a pickup. 36" is a good match. With 36 in the pickup it can be done.

sancho_man_orlando
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Trade the explorer, get an older model pick up that looks and runs good, hopefully you'll have a few bucks left over to get a small trailer that you could put a large sign on the tailgate to start earning some money.