PDA

View Full Version : LCO seeking advice for own house

kppurn
10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm strictly in the lawn care end of things and was looking for any advice or ideas for the house my fiance and I bought two months ago. I've been able to get the turf in much better shape and was thinking yesterday some lighting would be nice.

I was just thinking a couple lights, or maybe three in the bed shining up on the house. What type of lights do you recommend? Any other ideas? There is electric available on the porch and I also thought about running it from the garage, since there is an outlet near the garage door on the left.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Chris J
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
kppurn,
Front entry drives are always a challenge because it's difficult to balance the lighting scheme across the entire front of the home without some technical experience. For a very basic plan, you might consider the following:
Left side of the home: use a Kichler 15385 to wash the facade of the home.
Center/inset portion of the home: use two 15396's mounted in the gutters.
Right side: If you can find a way to fish the wire to the top of the gable and mount a fixture up into the very top of the gable and wash the front of the garage in this manner it would look very nice. Another approach would be to create a larger bed around the shrub at the right corner of the garage and place a wash type fixture (such as a 15385) aimed about 2/3 to the top. You will then be left with filling in the left garage door, and that can be accomplished by using the same fixture on the left side of the driveway but with a lower wattage lamp. However, from the looks of your photo the placement of this fixture is going to create a big-time blinding glare when leaving your front door because it will be shining across the walkway and up into your eyes.
As I said, this is not a very easy installation because you don't have much to work with in the way of concealing the light source and you will also have to do some retro fitting to get a few fixtures up and out of the way. Good luck.

JoeyD
10-07-2007, 11:10 PM
This is easy! 3 Unique Pulsar bullet lights on the left w/ 20 watt bab or 35 watt fmw depending on how bright you prefer it to be and linear narrow beam lenses w/ Hex louver glare shields. You could put one Pulsar or Probe on the white collumn next to the front entry. Replace all carriage/coach wall lights from the front door all the way across the garage. Replace w/ Unique Orion12" or 9"120v sconce up and down lights. These lights will give you a nice smooth up and down light that will help balance out the narrow beam up lighting on the left side of the home. Maybe powder coat them White although I would strictly prefer weathered brass. Lastly I would put in a couple down lights into the second story peaks on both left and right sides. Use Unique Probe or Stellar. Through out the second story middle I would also install 4 down lights (Unique Probe's)in between all 3 windows and corners. All second story fixtures powder coated white. You can get the wire up there by running up the rain gutters.
Definitly no more than 20w on the second story and I would install frosted lenses.

Back light the tree in the front or cross light it from the back. 1 35w or 2 20w lamps. Par 36 wells would look good IN MY OPINION, I would use Unique Apollo Star Well Lights with Brass Infinity Rings to help prevent grass from growing directly over the brass cover. Only downside is you will have to keep watch that the leaves don't fall all over the well lights and burn. Otherwise 1 or 2 Unique Pulsars would look fine.

My 2 cents, good luck. I am sure there will be lots of good ideas for you.

Joey D.
check the lights I recommended out at uniquelighting.com

Chris J
10-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I'll be the first to say that this is a better design, but I don't think this guy is willing to spend the money to go the distance.
kppurn, if you are willing to spend the money, the design Joey is giving you is a good one. Just make sure you install it correctly or hire someone to show you how to do it.

kppurn
10-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, definitely gives me some ideas I would have never thought of. Not knowing anything about lighting, I would say Joey has one awesome design. That one may be a little beyond my capabilities. I'll have to decide whether or not to try something a little more simple or hire someone to really do it right.

Would the sconce lights that would replace the garage lights put out much light upwards? The only thing I'm worried about is down lighting from the peaks, as I'm not big on heights. The middle section wouldn't be too bad, but I don't know about the left and right peak.

Chris, is there a certain way to go about hiding the light source if I mounted the two lights on the gutters as you suggested?

Joey, I'll take a look at the lights you have, thanks for the info.

Chris J
10-08-2007, 06:31 PM
The lights won't be completely hidden, but they would be mounted inside of the gutter with the fixture sticking up just enough to not be blocked by the edge of the roof. There are pictures of this type of mounting application somewhere on here and also on Uniques part of Lawnsite. If done properly, it is hardly noticable. What are those rooms in the mid-section of the home. You might not want to do this if they are bedrooms or rooms that you don't want light shining into.

JoeyD
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I was speaking mainly about mounting the lights under the eave and mounting with Sphere Bases and Downlighting the 1st sory roof. Although at minimum you could do exactly what Chris just entioned about utilizing Uni Brackets/Gutter Brackets. The Peaks on the right and left would look awesome being downlit. The Orions will have a softer up light as there will be a frosted lens to protect from rain and elements from above. So the down light is brighter which will give you better path and area lighting.

kppurn
10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I understand what you are saying now Joey. I agree it would look killer with the peaks downlit.

The three windows in the middle are the laundry room on the left and the other two are the loft area, otherwise known as our office.

I really appreciate your help, advice, and ideas. I felt bad after starting this thread and then noticing the sticky at the top about do-it-yourselfers.

JoeyD
10-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Do it right the first time and save yourself the trouble. You will love how your house will look!