PDA

View Full Version : Aeration Help

davis45
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, sounds wierd but i have been in the buisness for about 8 years and i have never done any aeration. I've seen post of people saying its hard work and can take an hour for an average sized lawn. I thought you just hooked it up and slowely rode the lawn, shows how much i know. Can someone please tell me how it is done and if i should offer this service or not? thank you

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Aeration is a PITA mostly because the lack of rain this year and try chasing a Ryan or Bluebird WB around the propery. You need to have the soil a little damp to get a good PLUG. We charge around $60 to $75 for a half acre. You do about 10 or 15 properties with a WB pluger and you will see why everyone loves it so.:hammerhead:

KS_Grasscutter
10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Yea, aerating with a regular aerator SUCKS. I need to see about going in on a Walker frontmount aerator with a friend of mine. That would be NICE sitting there riding around instead of walking and trying to turn the SOB around at the end.

avnorm
10-07-2007, 10:44 PM
No effort; no sore arms in using a pull behind like the heavy Turf-aire.com product. The weight is the key!!!

Despite the drought and hard clay, the 650 lb aerator did a great job today. Cores 1.5-2.75", all below current root zone on my fescue. I'm sure it would go deeper after rain,.... I overseed tomorrow. I'll irrigate since rain is sparsely forecast this week.

The current sale price is half of a quality separate unit.

It is not easy for tucking into corners, or small spaces; or for getting into the shed! It turns VERY well because each wheel spins individually.

Check it out. I have the heavy duty 36" turf-aire aerator from Bishop Enterprises. Quick delivery.

davis45
10-07-2007, 11:30 PM
so with the pull behinds, im guessing you have to move extremely slow so you do not tear up the yard? sorry for dumb questions but i, nor any other companies in my area have done this.

avnorm
10-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah, but not even half the speed I mow. Two passes, criss-crossed.

The areas that were torn, more than plugged, were those that were watered or damp near culvert drainage areas (even one week after last thunderstorm rain).

Even tight turning did not tear if at slow speed.

In other words, this aerator worked despite the lack of recent rain.

ccondie
10-08-2007, 12:26 AM
pull behinds are great. very little effort. as long as you have enough weight on it.

JB1
10-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Thinking about getting one like this, anybody tried one of these.

lawn king
10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I have a similar unit (woods) they do a good job but you need to load up the weight tray and you need a tractor that can lift at least 1000 # at the 3 point hitch.

advantage landscaping
10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I was looking at the turf-aire.com products, the 30" rental/homeowner version. Looks good for $299 - Anybody used one with good results? How do you like it and what do you use it with?

turfcobob
10-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Davis. If you want some help give me a call I have been in the aeration and equipment biz 32 years. 402-783-2028

This is not like mowing. Equipment is more specialized and is a real commitment if you want to get into it. But, it will make you more money than mowing.

Turfcobob

DAR57
10-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I'll give you a big hint.......one word for walk behind aerators..............Pluggr. Just came home after being behind one almost all day. Doesn't beat you up. Actually a nice change of pace from mowing!