PDA

View Full Version : bought a ctl on friday

docholiday
10-07-2007, 10:42 PM
thanks you guys and maybe even a gal or two for all your responses on what ctl to buy(t140 or rc50).
i bought the rc50. it just seems like a better machine.
i did not get heat or a/c with it.
with the a/c unit it would not fit in the garage,and ive been driving a ready mix truck for 20 years with out a/c and it would be nice but a small fan will suffice.
the heater, well as much as i hate cold weather i opted not to get that too.
it wont get much use in the real cold weather and when it does i can deal with it.
you folks should try patagonia base layer clothing for those really cold days, that stuff is fantastic,and comfortable.
thankyou for all your replies
doc holiday

RockSet N' Grade
10-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Hey Doc........does your machine have a 12 volt outlet in the cab? If so, Cabela's and other folks offer a 12 volt heater or even a 12volt blanket if it gets a tad bit too chilly :)

Tadams
10-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Got any pics of your new baby?

docholiday
10-08-2007, 08:02 PM
not yet but soon

docholiday
10-08-2007, 08:05 PM
yes it does have the 12 volt plug in the cab.
thankyou for pointing that out.

cddva
10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Congrats on your RC50. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much punch it packs for its size. That 12 volt outlet use was one I never even considered on my own RC50. I should be able to run my electric motorcycle vest off that on cold days!

rguetter
10-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Congrats! I'm heavily leaning towards the SR70 right now. I demo'd both the 60 and 70 the other night and the 70 seems to suit my purposes. Does anyone have any opinions or heard anything about SR70?

talus
10-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I bought an sr80 a few months ago and love it. The have two interior cab styles out for the sr 70 and 80. The newer one does not have the split lap bar which makes a tight cab a little more roomy. The gauges are in different locations because of this. I'm about 6'1'' 220lbs and fit no problem but the new holland I had was more spacious. I also considered the cat 287 c but was alot more money and was told the woudn't be here untill the fall. The asv also has nearly double the ground clearence of all the others which I think is a big advantage. I'm told that the perkins and cat engines are the same engines both made by mitsubishi. It does say perkins on one side of the valve cover and a small mitsubishi sticker on the other. I do know that cat runs mitsubishi's on the mini excavators so maybe it's true. Well I know you asked about the 70 but with a little more cash I thought was worth it to get the wider tracks and a little more hp. Just my opinoin ,maybe one of the skid steer or ctl guru's will chime in. I think you will be happy with asv. Good luck.

GreenMonster
10-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Congrats! I'm heavily leaning towards the SR70 right now. I demo'd both the 60 and 70 the other night and the 70 seems to suit my purposes. Does anyone have any opinions or heard anything about SR70?

I agree with Talus. Go with the 80 if you can.

I was all set to buy a 70 this spring, and then field tested it and was very dissapointed in the power. The 80, although the same motor with 10 more ponies cranked out of it, has much better power, plus 2 speed, hi flow, and wider tracks. I've been quite happy, with the exception of a few silly electrical issues (bad wiring from factory).

Lawnworks
10-21-2007, 03:30 PM
I agree with Talus. Go with the 80 if you can.

I was all set to buy a 70 this spring, and then field tested it and was very dissapointed in the power. The 80, although the same motor with 10 more ponies cranked out of it, has much better power, plus 2 speed, hi flow, and wider tracks. I've been quite happy, with the exception of a few silly electrical issues (bad wiring from factory).

Didn't you have t190? Did you get rid of it?

GreenMonster
10-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Still have the T190 too. A skid for each install crew.

rguetter
10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your comments. I demo'd both the rc60 and the sr70 and found the 70 to have ample power - at least with digging. Now one of the things I had heard was that that 80 was underpowered due to the wider tracks. The real problem, I think, is that there is not much actual user information(other than sales information) on either of these machines.

The reason I'm leaning towards the 70 is due to the weight and price of the 80. Right now both the 70 and 80 are running some deep discounts in addition to 3 yr 0% finanancing for the 70. Hopefully the 0% is not for a reason??!!!

I'm not a contractor and have a hobby farm so I'm thinking that the 80 will be overbuying and the 70 should suit my needs. The 70 is already pushing it, but I need the hi-flo and lifting capabilities. I figure if I really don't like the 70 I can trade in a couple of years and got some nice financing in the interim.

Definitely go with the MP1 cab, though. I'm not a big guy(6'2"/190) and I found the MP2 cab very restricting and almost claustrophobic(sp). I'm surprised, though, that they were able to put out the MP1 cab w/o a lapbar and only the seatbelt? I would have preferred the lapbar. Hey Talus, how do you like your footpedel? Not sure of that design either - would have thought a standard hand throttle would have been sufficent and probably more convenient.

Thanks Guys...

talus
10-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I like the foot pedal. On the new hooland I had it was on the left side by the door. I found it kind of a pain at times to take one hand off to power up or down. It had the hand/foot controls, if it had pilots and the throttle was in a different location I think it would be more coveinient. You should be happy with any of the three you mentioned. I don't have very many hours on mine but am very happy so far. I wonder what electrical bugs Green Monster had? I Think you would be happy with any of them. Good Luck. Go Sox.

GreenMonster
10-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Right now both the 70 and 80 are running some deep discounts in addition to 3 yr 0% finanancing for the 70. Hopefully the 0% is not for a reason??!!!

FWIW, my salesman told me the the 70 has been a dissapointment, and that they are "sending them all back"

I wonder what electrical bugs Green Monster had? I Think you would be happy with any of them. Good Luck. Go Sox.

Pinched wiring harness, supposedly from factory was causing the lights to blow the fuse everytime they were turned on. Now, my lapbar gauges aren't working. Maybe a fuse again? I don't know. I need to look at tomorrow.

rguetter
10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi GM and talus,

Well we will find out. I am taking the gamble and ordered the 70 - will definitely keep you two up to date on the results. GM, I really sense you don't like this(maybe even asv in general) machine? When did each of you get your machine? I've heard previously, and I heard again today from my salesman, that machines built since July have been working much better. In fact the salesman is at the plant for two days of training on the intimacies of the machine and they were told (for what its worth) that they haven't seen one of the machines built since July come back. I had heard from a couple of people previously that there were some "manufacturing" issues with machines built before July.

In further discussion I was also told that there is a very simple way of turning up the HP on the 70's and were shown how to do it. Apparently its being done on a number of machines in the field with very nice results. I'll also let you know how that pans out! Its the same damm engine - one would think they have to be able to get enough horsies out of the 70 to move the lighter machine! Apparently they have also turned down the speed in 1st and 2nd gear of the 80's. They wouldn't tell him why - I told him to ask tomorrow when he's there ;-)

Yep, could all be BS! You'll be the first to know after I dig into it a little more and then verify after getting the machine... Like I told you, though, during the demo I was pleased with the amount of power the machine had.

GreenMonster
10-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Good luck with the 70. I hope it works well for you.

Oh, I like the ASV. I'm mostly pleased with our 80 that we purchased this spring (aside from the aggravating electical issues). I was not however impressed with the 70. After specing everything out, and making the comparisons, I was ready to buy the 70. I just wanted to demo it before laying out the $$$$. That's when I became very dissapointed and decided on the 80 instead.

I was skeptical about the 80 also before I tried it, because like you said, it is the same engine with 10 more ponies tweaked out of it.

I am curious as to why they lowered the speed on the 80. It's a friggin race horse in hi speed.

talus
10-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Hey Green Monster do you need a service manual for the sr80? Sorry to hear about the electrical issues. How do you like the machine so far? I'm not sure if this is all in my head,but I would swear that my New Holland had more lifting capacity. I'll have to see this weekend moving stuff around the yard. I could be crazy but it does seem like this.

rguetter
10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
-----
Oh, I like the ASV. I'm mostly pleased with our 80 that we purchased this spring (aside from the aggravating electical issues). I was not however impressed with the 70. After specing everything out, and making the comparisons, I was ready to buy the 70. I just wanted to demo it before laying out the $$$$. That's when I became very dissapointed and decided on the 80 instead.
-------
I sure hope I find out differently! It's an awful lot of $$ if I don't like it. I know its not much consolation, but I've heard about the elec. issues from others. I don't think yours is an isolated incident. I would think, though, that once the bugs are worked out of it you should be good to go...

------------
I am curious as to why they lowered the speed on the 80. It's a friggin race horse in hi speed.
-------------
My guess is that it was going too fast and either people we damaging equip or something around them - maybe theres a liability issue. I've only seen the web video of one driving across a gravel pit I think it was. I don't know how you keep that thing on the road! ;-)

My salesman has been a straight shooter and I don't expect any BS from him. He's probably provided me more inside information than he should be, but I would rather know even the cons when making a decision. I believe he genuinely wants is customers to be happy. To me decisions are look for the pros, assume the worst with the cons, and mitigate the risk.

Talus - how about them sox! ;-)

rguetter
10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
p.s. Speed issue: My understanding is that they only lowered it 1mph for both the top and bottom speeds.