PDA

View Full Version : horizontal grinder

YellowDogSVC
10-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Anyone have information on the new Bandit 1680 "son of a beast" horizontal grinder such as weight and size? I just saw a partial ad in my tree trader. I've been looking for a horizontal that's easy to tow and navigate into tighter areas.

GradeMan
10-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Wish i could help buddy, Why do you want a smaller one when you have a mulcher head? And that beautiful chipper

P.Services
10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
a guy has one for sale in that mag. with about 4hrs on it. did you see that ad? might be your boat!!!

YellowDogSVC
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Wish i could help buddy, Why do you want a smaller one when you have a mulcher head? And that beautiful chipper

Grinder head is frustrating because isn't always easy to get a good finished product without a lot of passes. Chipper is frustrating because of dull blades and having to change blades frequently and the fact that I have to separate stumps. I rather use the bobcat and grapple to dump into a grinder than use the loader on the chipper.

YellowDogSVC
10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
a guy has one for sale in that mag. with about 4hrs on it. did you see that ad? might be your boat!!!

I saw a 2680 but not the 1680. What page and what was the price?

#1 Catman
11-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Here is what I seen. Could not tell you much but it was a pretty kitty on top for power. The guy were at lunch when I went buy. This is competing with Morbarks Little Guy 2600 that I use. $150-160s make a nice grinder @ 26000lbs of course Air brakes.

YellowDogSVC
11-02-2007, 09:26 PM
i think the 1680 is just under 20k lbs. a little heavy for what I want right now but still in the range of what I think I want in a few years.

#1 Catman
11-02-2007, 10:32 PM
It seems like we are in the same business. What do you think of the deticated track mulcher (Kodiak Kutter B160) I guss it will be the next step up from our Skids w/ mulcher heads.

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 11:09 AM
I think all of the dedicated mulchers have their place. For me, I would still need a chipper and skidsteer for cleanup. I pick up a lot of work cleaning up after those dedicated machines which usually don't have support machines following them around. Lots of complaints about shreds being too coarse, thick, or all over the place. I just finished a couple of jobs cleaning up after the guy who runs the big machine around here. He had supposedly promised a park-like property and left the people a holy mess. It was for a Catholic shrine and the elderly people couldn't even walk over the shreds and he missed so many logs and limbs that I had to regrind the whole property and shear and chip a lot of trees he couldn't get to or damaged.
I think if the machines are used responsibly and for general clearing without the "park-like" look in one pass promise, they are great for opening up a large property. Problem is, I see those things tackling trees that are way too big to do and leaving huge half-shredded stumps, limbs, and crap hanging over fences and on other trees.
Have you seen the PT Gator and Gyro-trak or Fecon carriers?

SiteSolutions
11-03-2007, 03:41 PM
The Gyrotrac is supposed to produce a better end result (smaller chips vs. big shreds) with cutting knives instead of hammers, although the maintenance is a real pain... have to grind an edge back on them every day is what I heard.

YellowDogSVC
11-03-2007, 03:49 PM
i have a friend using the gyrotrack head. He loves the chips but in my application, rocky, I have to use the carbide tipped teeth. You should see what happens to brushhog blades around here!