PDA

View Full Version : I used my Davco Brush Cutter for the Second time.

smalley360
10-08-2007, 06:57 AM
I have a half acre for sale but when people check it out it only looks like a quarter acre due to the gulch. I used the RC-30 with the 4 in 1 to cut a road to the second level and then put on the Davco and went to work. The saplings were waddle and eucalyptus trees.

smalley360
10-08-2007, 07:03 AM
If you noticed the color change of the house on the other side of the gulch, the overgrown photo's were taken over a year ago so the vegetation had grown a lot more.

smalley360
10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Here are more photo's and a few video's of the RC-30 and Davco.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/553541476QzcbEE

deere615
10-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Looks like fun!

SiteSolutions
10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
How big is the Davco?
Where'd you get it?
How much was it?

Have you hit many rocks with it? How does it handle hitting stray rocks?

smalley360
10-09-2007, 02:13 AM
The Davco cuts 47"s wide. Here is the specs from the asv site http://www.asvi.com/documents/tools/asvpb0061.pdf
It cost around $5k (in Hawaii, they kill us on shipping)
I bought it from the ASV dealer here in Maui.

If you watch the video you can see I was attacking the bunch of trees too fast. I had to back off and wait for it to speed up again. It cuts saplings larger than two inches you just go at it slow, bend the tree over with the front of the Davco until the teeth contact and start cutting it like a chainsaw but you are pushing as you go so it topples away from you. Once it falls you then slowly lower the cutter down on the stump slowly chopping until flush with the ground.
It was great fun until the left side track slid off the edge of the gulch into a hole and I could not get out. The machine was slowly tipping over on its side so I had to wedge logs under the tracks and then hooked up the machine to my Dodge Diesel 2500 and put tension on the machine while I backed up and my wife drove forward in 4wd. I had to use 4 tow straps to reach the machine. I got in this predicament due to the last people who cleared the lot before we bought it stacked all the old trees/bushes on the edge of the gulch. I could not see where the edge of the gulch started and the stack of trees began due to all the overgrowth. It worked out well but that would really have been a bummer seeing my new machine roll down the hill. I guess it comes with job. I will do a little more preplanning next time.
I did hit a few rocks. You have to keep the tip of the cutter low and be careful of where you point it since it shoots debree quite far, sometimes up to 100 yards or more.