PDA

View Full Version : Pipe cutters Ridgid Model 138

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Saw these in a plumbing trade magazine. Model 138. Has anybody tried?
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Plastic-Pipe-Cutters/EN/index.htm

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Or this one.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/PC-1375/EN/index.htm

PurpHaze
10-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Many years ago we used the red one in the first link. It was a good tool and we got it through an electrical supply house because they stocked it for cutting PVC conduit. (Our irrigation supplier wasn't carrying large ratchet cutters at the time.) The supplier stopped carrying it and started stocking the Klein cutter which we switched to and it too was a good tool but very spendy (something like $45 for replacement blades). Now they've stopped carrying the Klein tool and started with something else. In the meantime our irrigation suppliers started carrying the Victor which we've switched to over the past several years which does a fine job and replacement blades are easily available. The key to any ratchet cutter is blade durability. The Victor supplies this so we've stayed with it because replacement blades are easily accessible too.

Kiril
10-08-2007, 08:28 AM
The key to any ratchet cutter is blade durability. The Victor supplies this so we've stayed with it because replacement blades are easily accessible too.

Ditto. Victor blades last a good long time before needing replacement.

I have a bunch of Ridgid tools and have no serious complaints about any of them. Well built tools, although I have never tried any of their cutters. I will say I prefer the ratchet cutters over single stroke any day of the week.

irrig8r
10-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I have 5 Victor cutters including one of the long-handled blue ones with the hook that flips around to hold the pipe.

I actually prefer my smaller MCCs for cutting 3/4 pipe. The blade just lasts longer. Used to have a larger MCC, but I don't even think that company exists or imports them anymore (they were Japanese.)

OK, now i found them: http://www.mccusainc.com/Tools/PVC-Pipe-Cutters.htm

Maybe the Ridgid red one is really an MCC. They sure look similar.

irrig8r
10-08-2007, 01:06 PM
From the MCC "About Us" page:

A major fact that has been forgotten over the years, MCC was the original mechanical and design patent holder for the ratcheting PVC pipe cutters which we introducted to the U.S. market over 25 years ago. After witnessing many copies and variations of our original, we have developed and introduced the new VC-ED cutters.

MCC currently produces OEM private labels for named brands in the U.S.A., Europe and Japan.

I actually just called and confirmed that they do manufacture for Ridgid.

I'd like to replace the corner wrench I got from them. Lost it somewhere over the years. Very useful tool. The foot vise has also comes in very handy.

Mike Leary
10-08-2007, 05:21 PM
A Ridgid tool we have is a pipe cutter (#152) that has a special wheel for
cutting plastic pipe & tube up to 1 1/4". No burrs, no shavings...invaluable
for cutting conduit w/ wire inside.

PurpHaze
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
MCC currently produces OEM private labels for named brands in the U.S.A., Europe and Japan.

I actually just called and confirmed that they do manufacture for Ridgid.

In today's global economy it's hard to tell where all the connections lie. Some companies will manufacture for others while patent swapping is common too. It's hard to tell who's a subsidiary for who nowadays.

Mike Leary
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
In today's global economy it's hard to tell where all the connections lie. Some companies will manufacture for others while patent swapping is common too. It's hard to tell who's a subsidiary for who nowadays.

Point taken..crap is crap tho & Jo & Joe like the bottom line, not quality,
hence the proliferation of the big box.