PDA

View Full Version : Patio Lighting

JC Lighting
10-09-2007, 12:40 AM
I continue to have requests from clients for lighting patios, tables, bar areas etc. when there are no arbors or mature trees or anything else to attach down lights to. I usually tell them to use hurricane candles, tiki torches etc. On the rare occasion, at the customer's request, I have mounted a down light under the eve of the house and angled it onto the patio, but I don't care much for the resulting glare. I have considered stringing white Christmas type lights 10 or 12 feet high over the patio in a tic-tac-toe pattern. I saw this in a couple of movies. It increases the ambient light and adds "sparkle" to the scene. However, I haven't tried this yet.

Suggestions welcomed.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-09-2007, 08:07 AM
I usually suggest general path type lighting around the patio, then depending on the use I sugest rechargeable LED type table lamps, ie if its an outdoor eating area at a restaurant. I'd spec www.neoz.com, it has hi and low...approx $300usd/each though. Or you can get less expenmsive ones here in the states...Also consider Kichler's outdoor lamps series with Sunbrella shades. Tiki torches are great for pig roasts but not a nice elegant setting.

Chris J
10-09-2007, 08:12 AM
What about the tiki torch looking lights from Kichler that are low voltage? Fixtures such as the 15387BE. It stands 57" tall, and the lamp is encased with frosted glass. I have never used these, but it may be a possible solution to your dilema. If anyone has tried them, what did you think?

JC Lighting
10-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Jim C.

Pro-Scapes
10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Hey Jim sorry we missed you when we were out there. This is really a tough call sometimes. Anytime you got downlighting and you look up chances are there is going to be some glare unless i totally missed a day of class someplace.

If its in the clients budget suggest they get a few large trees installed :-) there are some tall paths or paths you can extend up. The problem is they become unstable the higher you go so its best to have something to stabalize em. This is really going to have to be thought out on a case per case basis. Dont be afraid to make suggestions to your clients to help them achive what they are after. If an arbor or other structure would fit the patio nice then find someone who does that type of work and get a price on it and suggest it to the clients. Your client base there is not afraid to spend money. Suggest to them a couple nice trees... an arbor... and turn thier back yard into a fairytale...

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-11-2007, 08:37 AM
thats good idea...if you do an arbor make sure you add one of my misting/fogging systems...I just start selling these and how cool...no pun intended!

Pro-Scapes
10-12-2007, 08:47 AM
thats good idea...if you do an arbor make sure you add one of my misting/fogging systems...I just start selling these and how cool...no pun intended!

When I lived in vegas misting systems were just the total bomb. Couldnt live without em. Here in the south the last thing we want to do is add more moisture to things!

Where Jim is (where I grew up!!) is really some nice weather. When we were out there in late july we didnt see a day above 90... In san fran we were looking at low 70's