PDA

View Full Version : Moving and leveling topsoil?

kc2006
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Just wondering what the easiest way to move and level topsoil is, in everyones opinion?

I'm bidding on an install job and it's going to need 35 yards of topsoil. I planned on renting either a skid steer or a mini skid (the walkbehind, mt52) with a utility blade and a landscape rake.

What would you guys use to move and level the soil though?

PlatinumLandCon
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
moving it how far?

kc2006
10-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Sorry I said it wrong, just spreading it and leveling it.

It's for a lawn install, going to be dropped in 5 yard piles and needs to be spread and finish graded. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way of moving it around.

cantoo
10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I use my two Steiners and a combination of blades and rakes that I built myself. Pics are on a thread here titled Steiner or search my user name. I only do a few lawns every year but they work well and the price is right. Usually I have an excavation company do the rough grade then I come in and level and seed. I also use my Ford 1520 compact tractor with loader and self built cultivator and leveler to move soil if needed. Did one last weekend around an acre.

jrlandscaping781
10-09-2007, 10:18 PM
I would like to know different methods for spreading as well. I take a bucket full dump it, angle the bucket and back spread it. After I get an area spread like this I run over in lightly with the Harley rake. How thick do you guys spread topsoil. Yards in my area range from 1/2 acre to 2. Couple contracors I saw doing a job only spread topsoil about an inch thick. I'd prefer 3-4 but that can get expensive real quick for th customer on the larger lots.

creeper
10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Rent a small tractor with a box blade, drop piles at random intervals spread and level with box blade and hand rake to finish(optional).You can set the box blade at different heights.

Smallaxe
10-10-2007, 07:58 AM
I use my two Steiners and a combination of blades and rakes that I built myself. Pics are on a thread here titled Steiner or search my user name. I only do a few lawns every year but they work well and the price is right. Usually I have an excavation company do the rough grade then I come in and level and seed. I also use my Ford 1520 compact tractor with loader and self built cultivator and leveler to move soil if needed. Did one last weekend around an acre.

I like that you do the cultivating as you spread it about. I am sick of coming onto new lawns with topsoil spread with a multi ton machine packing and pressing in all different levels ruts etc.
Even if it looks smooth as glass you wouldn't be able to stick a handrake into the soil - yet this is the description of a seed bed for grass?!?!