PDA

View Full Version : customers cancelling fall aeration

americanlawn
10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
We had four cancellations call in today because they could not or would not mark their sprinkler heads & control boxes. We offer to come out & mark their systems for $60, but all 4 refused. Now I'm wondering what their real reason was for cancelling their aeration (all would have been done this week).

Keep in mind that all 4 of these customers ordered aeration last week.

Anybody else have this happen?:waving:

carcrz
10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
If they are one of my "do everything" contracts & their control box is outside, I just mark them for free. It takes me about 20 minutes more, but I figure it is an added bonus to my loyal customers. As for the others, I ask them to make sure everything is marked as I am not responsible for unknown obstacles.

weeble67
10-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I've had two calls this week and two asking if I can still overseed, or if it's to late. I am giving another quote tomorrow. So far I've been lucky.

avnorm
10-09-2007, 07:57 PM
It is so dry here in western MD, and worse in the south, that aeration may damage the lawns at this time. More surface area for evaporative water loss.

After I got my new aerator last Friday, I went ahead and did mine, but four days later my yard is NOTICEABLY browned out compared with neighbors' yards, two of which declined my offer to do their yards for helping me to unload the 655 lb aerator. I starter fert'd and overseeded yesterday. I pray it all works out.

I believe they made the wiser choice.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
10-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I ask the customers to mark them but tell them if they don't have time I can do it. Just add the time into the bill. One guy paid me about $50 just to mark his 23 heads (he didn't know where the were), but he doesn't realize that.

americanlawn
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
It is so dry here in western MD, and worse in the south, that aeration may damage the lawns at this time. More surface area for evaporative water loss.

After I got my new aerator last Friday, I went ahead and did mine, but four days later my yard is NOTICEABLY browned out compared with neighbors' yards, two of which declined my offer to do their yards for helping me to unload the 655 lb aerator. I starter fert'd and overseeded yesterday. I pray it all works out.

I believe they made the wiser choice.

Now those are words of wisdom I seldom hear. avnorm-----I wholeheartedly agree. I see competitors here that aerate as early as August......just cuz the ground is soft after recent rains. Many people (professional & homeowners) don't seem to consider that September & October are often hot & dry. Good point! I aerate MY lawn in late November or early December, and I get deep plugs without the drying out of the ground.:usflag:

wahlturfcare
10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
American, I think maybe they found someone else. Im in the same area as you and havent had that problem yet so far.
I also have noticed some companies that were out aerating in august. one company was doing theirs in early august.

daveyo
10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
We've done about 36 aerations, slit seedings the last 8 days or so. We always mark out the heads, takes about 6-10 minutes $10.00 extra no big deal. A 5000sq' lawn is 85.00 plus 10 = 95.00 so how can I charge 80% more just top mark the heads, unless theres tons of zones.