PDA

View Full Version : Want a system to handle 4 acres.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
This would be for our own property. We have about 6.5 acres and after subtracting both shops and 3 homes its about 4 that I would like to work with. We seeded about 7 years ago, and have done some fert apps. The yard is doing ok but with such a dry summer I would really like to add a irrigation system. It will be metered, The front is about 2.5 acres, perfectly square. This is my main focus for now as the other 1.5 is a side yard that I will focus on later. For the 2.5 acres how many heads, zones, and how much pressure would you recommend? The rainbird products is pretty much the only one available here. I'm assuming I'll have to run atleast 2.5" pipe, so would it be better to connect into my water supply out towards the meter (125' from house) or connect closer to the house? Oh, and if you can't tell after reading this, I do not do irrigation systems for a living. Thanks for any help.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-09-2007, 10:06 PM
What size meter and what is your current pressure? Be careful about assuming. It's a math problem that can be done with a great deal of accuracy.

PurpHaze
10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
330' x 330' approximately?

How fancy of a system do you want to install?

Are there perimeters that need consideration, i.e. streets, drives, houses, fences, etc?

How many hours a day in midsummer do you want to water or are restricted to?

How many GPM and what is the PSI at this 2-1/2" line?

There are MANY more questions that are not condusive to even begin to answer your question. My suggestion is that you contact an irrigation designer in your area who can actually look at the property and start coming up with the multitude of variables that might actually be involved in installing a quality irrigation system.

Mjtrole
10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
330' x 330' approximately?

How fancy of a system do you want to install?

Are there perimeters that need consideration, i.e. streets, drives, houses, fences, etc?

How many hours a day in midsummer do you want to water or are restricted to?

How many GPM and what is the PSI at this 2-1/2" line?

There are MANY more questions that are not condusive to even begin to answer your question. My suggestion is that you contact an irrigation designer in your area who can actually look at the property and start coming up with the multitude of variables that might actually be involved in installing a quality irrigation system.

I wholeheartedly agree, it would first goto a supply house and let them know you would be purchasing supplies from them and you may be able to get a free design out of it. Did a 5 acre system some years ago and it ran fine with a 2" main with 1.5" valves.

Kiril
10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
One might be tempted in an area that rarely requires supplemental water to use QCV's instead of a full blown system.

regularguy
10-10-2007, 05:06 PM
One suggestion that I would make is to calculate approximately how much water a system like that might consume. I believe that you are using city water and to water five acres with city water could get very expensive. My lawn is two acres and I water it alot, my calculated water usage for this year is nearing one million gallons. ;)

Kiril
10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
My lawn is two acres and I water it alot, my calculated water usage for this year is nearing one million gallons. ;)

That is downright sad. :cry: :cry: Get rid of some of that turf man.

regularguy
10-10-2007, 06:54 PM
That is downright sad. :cry: :cry: Get rid of some of that turf man.

Lot's of people have hobbies that are expensive and wasteful, I guess that mine is no exception. If you have a big powerful motorboat or a large expensive SUV all of those things utilize precious natural resources much like my 2 acre lawn, I guess that it is different strokes for different folks.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey kiril-

Can we please put your NON turf campaign on Ice for a little while?

please?

Mike Leary
10-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Lot's of people have hobbies that are expensive and wasteful, I guess that mine is no exception. If you have a big powerful motorboat or a large expensive SUV all of those things utilize precious natural resources much like my 2 acre lawn, I guess that it is different strokes for different folks.

:::fires up motor home::::

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey kiril-

Can we please put your NON turf campaign on Ice for a little while?

please?

You would be asking Kiril not to be Kiril. It would be like us asking you to quit saying WICKED PISSAH

irrig8r
10-10-2007, 10:41 PM
You would be asking Kiril not to be Kiril. It would be like us asking you to quit saying WICKED PISSAH

Now that was funny!:laugh:

PurpHaze
10-10-2007, 11:13 PM

LOL... touche Kiril. :)

PurpHaze
10-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Now that was funny!:laugh:

Spooky avatar Gregg. I think I'll look for a good Halloween one just for the season. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

OMG>>>

I JUST got owned by a over the hill has been...

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
OMG>>>

I JUST got owned by a over the hill has been...

That hurt. Now I'm going to pout all day.:cry:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-11-2007, 08:56 AM

If I can ever dedicate enough time to it my hobby is going to be wood turning on a lathe. I'm going to hire homeless people to peddle a bike to turn my lathe. I'll get my wood from tree trimmings I see piled in peoples yards. :rolleyes:

Kiril
10-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Good point, still doesn't make it right. I don't have any hobby that is expensive or wasteful, not enough money or time. My hobby (or job as it seems) this year is rebuilding my house.

04superduty
10-11-2007, 06:01 PM
we have a .62 acre lot, about .4 acres is actually lawn. for the year we spend on average $1000 to water it, that is city water on a seperate meter so we do not get charged for sewer.
you might want to look into dropping a well for your irigation needs. then you can spec out your system without needing to cut corners. since i only have a 5/8 meter, i can only get roughly 10 gpm. with the way my yard is layed out it is broken up alot by my garage, walks, drive fence etc. since it is broken up so much, and since i have such a low GPM number i have alot of zones, right at 15 for now. each zone adds alot of $$, more valves, more wire etc. if you were to get a large well you would be able to water with less zones, and less watering time.