PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Zones Running

bgmoney7
10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
I have a property that has 2 time clocks 24 zones on each. They had some landscape installed by an another contractor and now when I turn on my clock 3-4 zones all come on at once. Also, I have some zones on the second clock that come up as soon as I turn the water on with the first clock. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kiril
10-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Assuming they didn't mess with the clocks, and the clocks are wired correctly, perhaps they either nicked some control wires or they rewired the valves for some unknown reason.

Mike Leary
10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Most clocks are not strong enough to fire three zones at once...check to see
the manual bleeders are all off. Do both clocks share the common?

Mike Leary
10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Another thought..contractor broke pipe a few times during install..crap got in
& fouled the diaphrams & solenoid ports..check bleeders first.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Mike this is what i was thinking....this happened to us once..Contractor 6 zone feeds..we get the call...After some investigation we notice that 5 zones after the manifold are connected together :cry: :cry:

HA!
as mr haze says,"I dont think that monkey had his banana that day" or something to the effect.

Also def check bleeders and valves themselves to make sure they are not the problem...Then check wiring and controllers is what I would do.

Mike Leary
10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Hydraulics first wire second vacation next

Kiril
10-10-2007, 05:27 PM

Not consistent with the information provided. He stated that the valves come on when the clock is fired, not that they won't shut off.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Hydraulics first wire second vacation next

agreed to the Nth degree

Mike Leary
10-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Not consistent with the information provided. He stated that the valves come on when the clock is fired, not that they won't shut off.

Unless it has a master valve Mr. Payattention smarty pants.

Kiril
10-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Good point. I will now commence head banging :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Mike Leary
10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Every "huh" service call I've ever been on, I'm saying, " you have any
landscape changes lately, any digging..cable TV..dog wire? huh huh?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I have a property that has 2 time clocks 24 zones on each. They had some landscape installed by an another contractor and now when I turn on my clock 3-4 zones all come on at once. Also, I have some zones on the second clock that come up as soon as I turn the water on with the first clock. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You need to get that landscaper out there and see if he'll fess up to something. If he thinks it is coming out of his pocket he may walk you right to the problem.

Mike Leary
10-10-2007, 07:14 PM
You need to get that landscaper out there and see if he'll fess up to something. If he thinks it is coming out of his pocket he may walk you right to the problem.

Fessing up is one thing..figuring out what hooks back to what is the irri
nitemare....could be a start over.:cry:

PurpHaze
10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Fessing up is one thing..figuring out what hooks back to what is the irri
nitemare....could be a start over.:cry:

Hey I thought multi-wire was God's gift to irrigation since the color schemes are all different and it's such a snap to wire back together? :)

I'll stick to my 14 gauge wire and my toner. :laugh:

I'm guessing that some monkey hit the wiring and just willy-nilly spliced things back together. He prolly had a rotten banana for lunch. :dizzy:

bgmoney7
10-11-2007, 07:31 AM
I had someone tell me it could be the clock which I would have never guessed anyone know if this is possible

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Anything is possible but my past experience tells me from what you describe it is unlikely to be the clocks. Easy to check out with a voltmeter. What is the name and model number of the controllers?

bgmoney7
10-11-2007, 07:54 AM
It is a rainbird ESP24Lx

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-11-2007, 08:01 AM
IF you put it in the off position then hold down the two buttons on the left for a few seconds you can start a raster test which will tell you open zones and other problems. Might help a little. I really think somebody cut your wires and hooked the wrong strands back together. I bet you find the problem under a newly planted shrub. Maybe you can bribe London Rain to drive down and fix it for you. He is the most experienced wiring troubleshooter I know close to you.

bgmoney7
10-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah I think they hit wires too the problem is they just installed 2000' of new plants where the main runs but they aren's admitting anything. It is only a one time deal for them so they don't care.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah I think they hit wires too the problem is they just installed 2000' of new plants where the main runs but they aren's admitting anything. It is only a one time deal for them so they don't care.

May have hit the wires several times. If it is multistrand respliced wrong in several places it could be a real headache to troubleshoot. Good Luck. I'd sure try to get the landscapers to be liable for it. Accidents happen but responsible parties don't hide and bury them.

WalkGood
10-11-2007, 08:24 AM

With a commercial property that large, might be a pump "acting" like a master valve.

Kiril
10-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Accidents happen but responsible parties don't hide and bury them.

Responsible parties should fix the problem correctly or call someone in that can. :)

PurpHaze
10-11-2007, 08:28 AM
I had someone tell me it could be the clock which I would have never guessed anyone know if this is possible

Electrical troubleshooting problems should always start at the controllers and work outwards through the wiring and end at the valves so they can be eliminated. You'll have to get a VOM (volt ohm meter) to check them out. The main keys to controller troubleshooting is that 110v-115v power is reaching the controller through the step-down transformer and then 24v-26v is being outputted to each valve wire when a particular zone is activated and a circuit is completed. Since you have two controllers and various zones are firing on the two controller systems when only one is activated I'm still betting on a field wiring problem.

There are just so many steps that we'd go through automatically if on site to check things out and we'd prolly forget one or two steps by trying to analyze over the net. I'd suggest that you go to the Rainbird web site, look up the owner's manual for your specific controllers and then follow their step-by-step troubleshooting procedures.

WalkGood
10-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Take pictures of everything you find. Bring out the customer and show them what you found.

You bill the customer; it's up to them to back-charge the landscaper.

Make sure the customer understands that they are paying your bill.

PurpHaze
10-11-2007, 08:35 AM
http://rainbird.com/landscape/products/controllers/esplxmodular.htm

They also have a reference section on how to use a VOM. Print it out and follow it step-by-step.