PDA

View Full Version : At Wits End with St. Augustine Lawn

jburns
09-24-2001, 11:58 PM
My St. Augustine lawn in Florida constantly seems to be suffering from some sort of ailment. I had chinch bugs and have used diazinon twice in the past three months. The lawn often stays wet all night due to evening rains so I battle fungus with Daconil, which is expensive and only seems to work temporarily. I was told by the county extension office that mole crickets occasionally infest St. Augustine, and the lawn did have the small raised ridges they leave in the soil. I used Oftanol for that, which seemed to work. I now am finding mole tunnels but that damage is confined to small areas.

As frustrating as all the above problems are, I have seen them often enough to recognize and treat them. But large areas of the lawn seem to gradually thin out and die. If I pull up a runner it's mostly dead, almost rotting, with very little root structure. A whole section of my yard will get like this, with what seems like a few living runners and a bunch of dead runners underneath. This damage seems worse in the areas getting the most sun.

Thanks for any help - Jim B.

Fantasy Lawns
09-26-2001, 01:48 AM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH010

hire a local pest spray ......like "Pest Prescription or Black' Spray" .... (Diazinon won't do it) ....let her grow real tall 4.5" (get those roots established) ..... with the wet season on water is not an issue ..... keep your blades real sharp .....only remove 1/3 blade height .....

can you post a photo .... is it full sun .....if you have moles .....than you have white grubs (they love em) n the grubs love the soft tender roots of St. Aug ..... DON'T over water ....get those roots DEEP n Strong .....the above site has Great INFO

fungus issues are not really a major problems with St. Aug ....so don't worry to much of wet grass at night ..... it's bad when the shrooms are in the beds .....

without seeing it ..... sounds like chinch or grub problems (brown patch which seems to grow)