PDA

View Full Version : What improvements would you like to see-Fixtures

pete scalia
10-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Let's brain storm some ideas for our own benefit and the benefit of the manufacturers that read this board. Not on specific brands but what improvements would you like to see made to fixtures that will improve the usability and performance and make your life a bit easier.

I am really full of piss and vinegar tonight.

Lite4
10-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Ease of serviceability is always a hot button for me. On some fixtures when you remove shrouds it causes so much wear and tear on the rubber o rings that I seem to have to replace them sooner than later.

I like how Unique includes all the necessary lenses with their Odyssey fixtures. This saves me having to make an additional run to the store should I decide a particular fixture may need a louver or a blue lense. I wish this was something included in all directional spots or floods/wells.

In ground wells are always a problem. No matter how much silicone I encase around the connections it seems I am always having to replace the corroded connectors after about 2 years. whoever figuires this one out will probably corner the market on wells.

pete scalia
10-11-2007, 02:03 AM
Ease of serviceability is always a hot button for me. On some fixtures when you remove shrouds it causes so much wear and tear on the rubber o rings that I seem to have to replace them sooner than later.

I like how Unique includes all the necessary lenses with their Odyssey fixtures. This saves me having to make an additional run to the store should I decide a particular fixture may need a louver or a blue lense. I wish this was something included in all directional spots or floods/wells.

In ground wells are always a problem. No matter how much silicone I encase around the connections it seems I am always having to replace the corroded connectors after about 2 years. whoever figuires this one out will probably corner the market on wells.

Tim do you mean MR wells?

bmwsmity
10-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Tim, if you are using rubber-boot wells, such as Kichler's 15488, you may want to make sure they aren't filling up with water, hence causing excessive corrosion.

I've noticed these are terrible for this, and I often have to replace bulbs because they fill up so much that they short the bulb out. The only way to fix it is to poke a hole in the bottom of the boot.

Pro-Scapes
10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
for you guys using MR wells have you not tried a sealed unit like the Copper moon, Kim mini vault or the focus ? I am lighting a flag pole next month and I am going to use the kims in the turf. These things are TANKS and highly adjustable. Also they are large enough to hopefully eliminate the hotspots I hate so much.

As for fixture improvment... I think this has to go on specific fixtures. Just to name a few

Cast bullet... O ring issues constantly
Kichler 15384 line... why are the leads so short and such a small gauge ?
Cast tree light... the only tree light we use but sould use a shorter version or an uplight version with the same flange to use the tree hardware with.

Kichler 15443 paths... nut in top of the shade easily breaks off.

This is really nit picking tho. More so than fixtures I would like to see some REAL working space in a trans... make the thing 3 inches taller already and give us 6 inches below the terminal block!

I've noticed these are terrible for this, and I often have to replace bulbs because they fill up so much that they short the bulb out. The only way to fix it is to poke a hole in the bottom of the boot.

Have you tried digging your hole deeper and filling it with pea gravel to help drain the water away ?

Eden Lights
10-11-2007, 09:56 AM
MR Fixture:

Infinite adjustment knuckle that locks down, such as the Lumiere 203

Conduit style nut that can be easily adjusted and locked down, but doesn't seize with time because it's too big.

Complete glare control with various hoods, shields, caps, louvers and etc. Such as the HK Lighting group line.

Large opening split ground stake that can be hammered in the ground.

Must accept multiple lenses, louvers, and etc.

Excellent Finish

Socket can be serviced easily.

Stem wire way is waterproof enough to turn upside down without water entry.

Retail under $100, any ideas??

Eden Lights
10-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Joey, I was checking out the Stellar from the gutter mount thread and was wondering? What's up with the lock and load socket? It's still all over the website. Is it still being used and in what fixtures?

bmwsmity
10-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Have you tried digging your hole deeper and filling it with pea gravel to help drain the water away ?

No, not inside the plastic part of the well...inside the actual rubber boot that holds the lamp. They are "sealed"....at least from the bottom. The problem is the seal around the lamp itself is not water-tight.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-11-2007, 10:47 AM
hey wait a second there proscapes!!! You reading my email newsletter???

quote in reference to kim lite vault in my september newsletter

This light is perfectly built for installations within grassy areas where mowers would normally destroy the light. Or can be used near streets and sidewalks where you fear car or golf cart traffic. From residential to commercial properties to resorts, anywhere you need a well light, the Lite Vault is the well light of choice.

JoeyD
10-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Joey, I was checking out the Stellar from the gutter mount thread and was wondering? What's up with the lock and load socket? It's still all over the website. Is it still being used and in what fixtures?

NO MORE Lock and Load. We had to give up on it. We have a fix for it so for those who have them in the field and have a problem we can eaisily replace the top portion that is re worked. It was an awesome concept but they just dont hold up over time in certain environments. Where on the website did you notice it? I need to have it removed.

Joey D.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Joey, the exact same thing happened to Hadco a few years ago and they still haven't recovered...they didnt catch the problem and remedy it so fast though...

Eden Lights
10-11-2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/company_info/Installation_Innovations.htm

Most all of your graphics, animations, pictures, and etc. show the lock and load socket. I just wanted to make sure if I ordered something what came with the lock and load socket.

Pro-Scapes
10-11-2007, 12:41 PM
hey wait a second there proscapes!!! You reading my email newsletter???

quote in reference to kim lite vault in my september newsletter

This light is perfectly built for installations within grassy areas where mowers would normally destroy the light. Or can be used near streets and sidewalks where you fear car or golf cart traffic. From residential to commercial properties to resorts, anywhere you need a well light, the Lite Vault is the well light of choice.

I have used the kims in a few different applications ranging from a surface mounted light on a ledge to a surface mounted light on concrete to a buried application. As I said before they are tanks... They cost 50 to 100% more than a traditional well light but i have yet to hear of or have an issue with them. I think someone even said they use em in a drive over application.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I think they are really cool looking too...I love taking them to trade shows and handing them to people...It makes me a chiropractors best friend...

JoeyD
10-11-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/company_info/Installation_Innovations.htm

Most all of your graphics, animations, pictures, and etc. show the lock and load socket. I just wanted to make sure if I ordered something what came with the lock and load socket.

Thanks Eddie. Some of the graphics will still show it but any other reference will now be removed.

This is just another reason I really appreciate you guys. This si stuff that we may overlook but you guys catch. Keep it coming!!

Joey D.

pete scalia
10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
MR Fixture:

Infinite adjustment knuckle that locks down, such as the Lumiere 203

Conduit style nut that can be easily adjusted and locked down, but doesn't seize with time because it's too big.

Complete glare control with various hoods, shields, caps, louvers and etc. Such as the HK Lighting group line.

Large opening split ground stake that can be hammered in the ground.

Must accept multiple lenses, louvers, and etc.

Excellent Finish

Socket can be serviced easily.

Stem wire way is waterproof enough to turn upside down without water entry.

Retail under $100, any ideas??

coupla questions- understand that I'm not challenging you, I respect you and your work and your messages. Just trying to get a better understanding:waving:

what do you mean by infinite adjustments? Isn't like 270 degrees or so of adjustability the max with any bullett fixture regardless of it's config?

when you say complete glare control I think that's impossible as there will always be certain viewing angles that will have glare.

On the ground stake can you be more specific. brass or plastic stake? split you mean so the wire can be removed without breaking splice. etc.

What would you recommend for better serviceability of sockets?

Thanks. Pete

Eden Lights
10-11-2007, 10:48 PM
coupla questions- understand that I'm not challenging you, I respect you and your work and your messages. Just trying to get a better understanding:waving:

what do you mean by infinite adjustments? Isn't like 270 degrees or so of adjustability the max with any bullett fixture regardless of it's config?

when you say complete glare control I think that's impossible as there will always be certain viewing angles that will have glare.

On the ground stake can you be more specific. brass or plastic stake? split you mean so the wire can be removed without breaking splice. etc.

What would you recommend for better serviceability of sockets?

Thanks. Pete

Infinite adjustment - No teeth, but locks down like a vise.

Complete glare control - Fully shrouded with the glass at least 1-2" from the tip of the shroud. Real world use is in beds you can walk all the way around or when a bed is between the the circle drive and the street. In these examples a 45 degree shroud just wont cut it from all the angles.

Stake must allow fixture to be moved for plant growth and etc. without disconnecting. It can be a split stake: Kichler or Hadco or a spike stake like HK's one.

BK and Lumiere have the really water proof fixtures, but the sockets are very hard to replace correctly.

I will try to post more soon, everthing is out there it's just not in one fixture and they get very expensive as you get close to the perfect fixture.

pete scalia
10-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Infinite adjustment - No teeth, but locks down like a vise.

Complete glare control - Fully shrouded with the glass at least 1-2" from the tip of the shroud. Real world use is in beds you can walk all the way around or when a bed is between the the circle drive and the street. In these examples a 45 degree shroud just wont cut it from all the angles.

Stake must allow fixture to be moved for plant growth and etc. without disconnecting. It can be a split stake: Kichler or Hadco or a spike stake like HK's one.

BK and Lumiere have the really water proof fixtures, but the sockets are very hard to replace correctly.

I will try to post more soon, everthing is out there it's just not in one fixture and they get very expensive as you get close to the perfect fixture.

excellent post. How do you feel about full 360 shields? Great for glare control also great as a debris collector?

Chris J
10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Any fixture, whether it's 1/2 shielded or 360 will collect debris. The is no stopping Mrs. Mother Nature. Even if it's half shielded, the bugs will collect and cover the lens (unless you live in Antartica). All anyone can do to remedy this situation is perform regular maintenance on the lighting system. There is no bullet-proof lighting installation out there. All of them require the initial installer to take care of their customer; hence the annually renewable "service program".