PDA

View Full Version : Break Down, Hammer Time!!!!!!

GradeMan
10-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Anyone know anybody who was broken a track yet on a skid stear?
Was it abuse? or just worn out?
How much did that set them back?

YellowDogSVC
10-10-2007, 10:15 PM
what kind of track? I broke Loegerings trailblazers a few times on a big bobcat

xcopterdoc
10-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Seen all kinds broken. Seen em melted off too, literally the rubber melted off the tracks, nothing but steel left. Oh.. and none of em ever broke at a good time!

SiteSolutions
10-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Seen all kinds broken. Seen em melted off too, literally the rubber melted off the tracks, nothing but steel left. Oh.. and none of em ever broke at a good time!

I am trying to think of a good time to have a track break. :laugh:

My old boss used to tell me, "Nobody likes a smartass."

GradeMan
10-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Like those on a asv, jd, bobcat,etc.......

xcopterdoc
10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Well ok.. there is bad times and worse times!
As for price.. I think the last set was 1800 on a T-190 from Solideal.In my world we get anywhere from 800 to 1200 on an OEM set of tracks on skid steers and about twice that on a mini X.

tthomass
10-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I ran two tracks off two different machines in two days if that counts :)

One was a track that should have been replaced long ago so it just strectched and popped off. The other was put in a situation that with its present wear forced it to scretch and pop.

My own tracks are good. Current job has torn the living heck out of them but thats how it goes. They have 578hrs on them with plenty of meat.

GradeMan
10-11-2007, 09:12 PM
So are tires better? How about using the tracks over the wheels?
The tracks scare me in wearing out to fast, :cry: :cry:

tthomass
10-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Depends how you use it. In the dirt you're okay but they will wear faster on hard surfaces but stone is the biggest problem.

Wheels inside tracks work. I've used them but fealt like I was cheating, it would do the trick but its not like having tracks. Metal ones I ran before you would sometimes have issue with the tires spinning inside when dealing with mud.

To answer your question/statement about wear I'll use a recent example. I was on a job a month ago that was all bare soil and it rained the night before. It was a beautiful, hot, morning to work but slick. I had tracks, the other contractor did not.........he went home and didn't make money, I worked and did..........tracks will pay for themselves.

Kepple Services
10-13-2007, 09:44 AM
I broke a track on my T300 a few months back.. There is never a good time, and my luck was that only the outside of the track broke so i was able to still move tha machine around(IE back on to the trailer and then off again at the shop) I had around 840 hours on the machine at the time.

YellowDogSVC
10-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Depends how you use it. In the dirt you're okay but they will wear faster on hard surfaces but stone is the biggest problem.

before. It was a beautiful, hot, morning to work but slick. I had tracks, the other contractor did not.........he went home and didn't make money, I worked and did..........tracks will pay for themselves.

...but that one piece of rebar, sharp stump, or reinforced concrete can ruin a $1500 track in 2 seconds, right? I have missed plenty of days because of rain but still haven't justified the track replacement from hazards. If you work in all dirt areas, it would be a good investment but we break steel tracks in this country and that scares the heck out of me.