PDA

View Full Version : niche lights

Mike M
10-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a home that needs gutter-mounted lights to reach gables, etc. Is there a popular fixture for this application? The Cast niche light looks appropriate. Any suggestions?

I'll post some pic's soon of the house.

Thanks,

Mike

NightScenes
10-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I like the Unique Stellar for a mimi wash light or the Kichler 15498AZT MR11 fixture for a spot light.

klkanders
10-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Paul, Can you get the K15498 in AZT I thought it only came textured white?
Thanks!

bmwsmity
10-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I also like the Unique Stellar. Nice and small, and with a 10,000 bulb, they are great because they are super low-maintenance - perfect for a fixture requiring a ladder to get to.

Pro-Scapes
10-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Mike.... i dont think the Cast Niche light is made to be installed upside down like that. There is no protection for it since its just a socket and bulb up inside the housing with no lens... They are slick little lights and I am about to install 4 of em at my house in the rafters above our covered deck to downlight some plants on the deck and the table as well. It a powerful little light with a removeable reflector to diminish the output as desired and uses a bi pin bulb. Not good tho in your application.

I agree the stellars are hard to beat... super low profile and they come stocked with all the lenses you could hope for. While they are a bit pricey they are awsome. While I have not used the unimount I hear thats a great way to mount them in your application.

If your downlighting the niche light would be a great option.

Mike M
10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Great info. I'll look into the Unique light.

This subject brings up a good question; are the aluminum fixtures more acceptible if they are out of the soil? I think, because of my region, I still need to stay away from the aluminum.

I'll look to see if Kichler has a brass or copper down light.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Nighscaping makes two fantastic little fixtures for soft washing... The constitution is all copper and uses a bi-pin fixture and has an adjustable eyelid for cut-off / glare control.

The brand new Mini-Washliter is also all copper and uses a bi-pin lamp. It comes as a wall mount or stake mounted and has a frosted lens and dimpled reflector. An accessory shield is available.

These are both great fixtures for mounting on buildings and highlighting dormers, walls, and other features.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
10-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Great info. I'll look into the Unique light.

This subject brings up a good question; are the aluminum fixtures more acceptible if they are out of the soil? I think, because of my region, I still need to stay away from the aluminum.

I'll look to see if Kichler has a brass or copper down light.

I think you just answered your own question there Mike.

JoeyD
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM
AVOID ALUMINUM!!! Usually the corrosion starts right around the knucle or where there are any screws. Even from the factory the powder coat can have some imperfections that water always exploits. I know there are "SPACE and AERO GRADE" Aluminums out there but it all corrodes over time.

Chris J
10-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Why is it that the rain gutters are made out of aluminum, yet you never see these all corroded and oxidizing. I just went outside to look at my gutters just to make sure, and they look like brand new. They have been there for 15 years! And what about towers for fishing boats? These are raw aluminum, not powder coated, and withstand being drenched with sea-spray day in and day out. What's up with that?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
AVOID ALUMINUM!!! Usually the corrosion starts right around the knucle or where there are any screws. Even from the factory the powder coat can have some imperfections that water always exploits. I know there are "SPACE and AERO GRADE" Aluminums out there but it all corrodes over time.

You know, if you are refferring to aluminum ground mounted fixtures I will agree with you, it is not the best. However....

I have had fantastic sucess with a variety of Aluminum fixtures from Nightscaping. Their Stylist, Mini Stylist, Guardian, and even my Signature INTEGRAliter in Aluminum have all performed very well here. I have been mounting Guardians and Mini-Stylists onto homes and boat houses (marine environments even!) for years and have never had one problem. The fixtures do not corrode and the powder coating has never failed.

I don't know what type of aluminum Nightscaping is using, but it does seem to stand up. I have seen aluminum fixtures from Snoc, Hadco, and others that are just a mess! Usually the powdercoat is first to fail and then the corrosion kicks in.

So, keep an open mind and don't discount looking at aluminum fixtures from manufacturers that will stand behind them.

Have a great day.

Mike M
10-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Chris,

I'm no metalurgist, but I'm wondering if cast aluminum is an alloy, mixed with other metals which cause the problems. Or, maybe it's the acid in the soil? The marine environment may not be acidic like the soil is??

Good point, I just bought an aluminum tool box for my truck, will it corrode after driving around Hilton Head for a few years???

Have you ever seen a corroded aluminum baseball bat?

Aluminum foil never looks corroded. Aluminum pull tabs last for years in the soil (I find them with my metal detector).

I'll consult my Janet Moyer book for some light on this subject.

Crap, I ran out of beer.

Chris J
10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
That being said, what would be cheeper: A better grade of aluminum, or brass & copper? Interesting conversation......maybe one of these guys is a "metal nerd" and can give us some insight into this. Go get some beer, I'm going to make another pitcher of iced tea, maybe I can stay awake for a response.

pete scalia
10-11-2007, 08:48 PM
some of this lighting stuff is made of pot metal and goes south right away. Like anything I suppose there are different grades and qualities.

Chris J
10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Well, whatever it is I'm sure there is some room for conversation. It's late, and I've got a bunch of work to do tomorrow so I am going to say good night.

Pro-Scapes
10-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Why is it that the rain gutters are made out of aluminum, yet you never see these all corroded and oxidizing. I just went outside to look at my gutters just to make sure, and they look like brand new. They have been there for 15 years! And what about towers for fishing boats? These are raw aluminum, not powder coated, and withstand being drenched with sea-spray day in and day out. What's up with that?

Are these not electro plated or something ?... Towers on fishing boats are mostly stainless are they not ? least all the ones i seen are stainless and fiberglass. I could be wrong here but i think there is a huge difference between pot metal cast alluminum and high purity alluminum and the plating matters.

Mike M
10-12-2007, 07:44 AM
I have been mounting Guardians and Mini-Stylists onto homes and boat houses (marine environments even!)

James, do you mean Ontario lakes & rivers or saltwater/coastal?

pete scalia
10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
I have been mounting Guardians and Mini-Stylists onto homes and boat houses (marine environments even!)

James, do you mean Ontario lakes & rivers or saltwater/coastal?

I like all the screws you have to remove on those fixtures to change the bulb. Great engineering.

JoeyD
10-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I dont care what kind of aluminum it is. If it is touching the dirt and is in direct contact with soil and moisture it will corrode at some point. If you take the aluminum bat or tool box and burry it it is going to corrode. Some manufacturers have found success in using aluminum becuase they will utilize a composite knuckle or base to help with keeping the aluminum from direct contact with the ground. Alum. lights in eaves and out of contact will have more success and will last much longer. It is just like glavanized pipe, above ground it lasts forever, burry it and SEE YA! Again, you may have had success with aluminum but nobody can argue that it is better than brass or copper, maybe cheaper and lasts "long enough" but definitly not better and it will never out live brass or copper. I am a bit biased becuase I only sell copper and brass (as well as composite and plastic) but we used to sell aluminum so I have been down that road. On top of that as a distributor of a lot of the major brands you all use I saw alum. lights from all of them that were corroded and ruined.

Chris J
10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree that brass and copper is better. No argument here.

Mike M
10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
If it is touching the dirt and is in direct contact with soil and moisture it will corrode at some point.

I know that, I was just wondering why baseball bats don't corrode. Also, if I can use the AZT line for mounting to gutters. Better safe than sorry, so I'll stick with copper, brass, bronze.

Okay, after I made my beer run last night, I read through Moyer's section on fixture materials. I am now looking for a platinum fixture with a plastic coating, which will hover an inch above the ground.

On a more serious note, I also read about the salt crystals in the air which are very corrosive to aluminum.

I am convinced I will stay 100% aluminum free. This includes bottles over cans.

JoeyD
10-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Smart Move....Let me know whe you find that hovering platinum light!!

Pro-Scapes
10-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Smart Move....Let me know whe you find that hovering platinum light!!

I think the smart move here was bottles over cans.... just kidding... Mike you will never regret going with a bettter material... If your ever in question about something and its unproven you can always do what i do... Install it at your house first. All my gear here takes a beating from the dogs... Im NOT careful with it when trimming at my own house because i want to simulate real world conditions...and some of it gets hosed down with the water hose just to make sure its up to snuff.

Hey mike how many baseball bats have you stuck in the ground and left em there ? Just curious maybe we need to conduct an ocean front experiment.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey guys... I never said that Aluminum was better then brass or copper! I said that when it is not in contact with the soil (as in building mounted) it can be very durable

As for Ontario's marine environments... of course they are fresh water... unless you are way up on Hudson's Bay or something.

As for ideal materials for fixtures... Stainless steel is always a nice choice and Hunza makes some very nice SS fixtures. Nightscaping also makes SS fixtures, you simply have to ask them. They are very good at customization. If you want stainless steel but not the expense of the Hunza line, check out Intense! they have some nice stuff too.

Have a great day.

Mike M
10-13-2007, 07:43 AM
I never said that Aluminum was better then brass or copper!

No, but it may be better for selection purposes if it can be used without failure. That's why I asked about above-grade use. However, I have the added problem of marine atmosphere, which is deffinately an issue I forgot about. I believe marine implies salt water.

NightScenes
10-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Paul, Can you get the K15498 in AZT I thought it only came textured white?
Thanks!

I'm sorry, I meant the 15398AZT. Ooopppppssss

NightScenes
10-13-2007, 03:45 PM

Joey, I have been installing high quality aluminum fixtures for quite a while and have never found any corrosion on any of them. I mean bullet lights, wash lights, flood lights, down lights, and just about any kind of lights you can think of except well lights. (I would never put any metallic fixture in the ground). I would say that if you stick with a quality manufacturer, you will probably be fine with aluminum fixtures. Of course brass and copper are higher quality, but to say "AVOID ALUMINUM" is going a little far.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Joey, I have been installing high quality aluminum fixtures for quite a while and have never found any corrosion on any of them. I mean bullet lights, wash lights, flood lights, down lights, and just about any kind of lights you can think of except well lights. (I would never put any metallic fixture in the ground). I would say that if you stick with a quality manufacturer, you will probably be fine with aluminum fixtures. Of course brass and copper are higher quality, but to say "AVOID ALUMINUM" is going a little far.

Now that is what I was talking about. Great Post Paul!

Have a great day.
:clapping:

Mike M
10-14-2007, 08:42 PM
to say "AVOID ALUMINUM" is going a little far

Maybe, but I need to clarify that I believe those who are suggesting I avoid it know I'm in a coastal area.

Chris once posted a pic of an aluminum light he removed from a job, I wonder if anyone else can show images?

Thanks,

Mike

NightScenes
10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Chris is in a coastal area and installs a lot of Kichler aluminum fixtures. I think that the manufacturer makes a big difference. You can buy cheap aluminum fixtures that are garbage or you can buy quality aluminum fixtures that will last for years on end.

Mike M
10-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Chris is in a coastal area and installs a lot of Kichler aluminum fixtures.

I thought he uses the BBR's????

NightScenes
10-14-2007, 09:07 PM
They just came out with the BBRs a couple of years ago.

Chris J
10-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Chris has used a whole bunch of Kichler aluminum fixtures over the past 8 years. A quick estimate would indicate that he has over 20,000 fixtures in the ground that are, in fact, aluminum Kichler fixtures. That being said, Chris likes the BR and BBR line much better (now that it is available) in ocean-front applications especially. Even though, Chris still services the systems from past customers on the ocean-front, and the aluminum is still holding up quite well. There have been several fixtures that I have had to replace, mind you, but I am impressed with the overall performance of the powder-coat aluminum that Kichler has provided. Keep in mind that Jacksonville covers over 850 sq. miles. Only about 40 miles is actually coastal.

The moral to this story: Whenever possible, I will use the brass or copper products on the coast. When push comes to shove, however, I know I can revert to the Kichler aluminum to win the bid.

Chris J
10-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Chris has used a whole bunch of Kichler aluminum fixtures over the past 8 years. A quick estimate would indicate that he has over 20,000 fixtures in the ground that are, in fact, aluminum Kichler fixtures. That being said, Chris likes the BR and BBR line much better (now that it is available) in ocean-front applications especially. Even though, Chris still services the systems from past customers on the ocean-front, and the aluminum is still holding up quite well. There have been several fixtures that I have had to replace, mind you, but I am impressed with the overall performance of the powder-coat aluminum that Kichler has provided. Keep in mind that Jacksonville covers over 850 sq. miles. Only about 40 miles is actually coastal.

The moral to this story: Whenever possible, I will use the brass or copper products on the coast. When push comes to shove, however, I know I can revert to the Kichler aluminum to win the bid.

I'd like to add a sentence to the above thread: When push comes to shove, however, I know I can revert to the Kichler aluminum to win the bid knowing that the job will be completed sucessfully, and give the client years and years of trouble free enjoyment. If something happens to fail prematurely, however, Kichler will gladly replace it free of charge as part of their "Kichler for Life" Lifetime warranty program.

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Does Kichler 4 life program pay for labor and connectors too?

Chris J
10-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Sorry, but it would be inappropriate for me to divulge what Kichler does to compensate me for labor costs. As far as the connectors go, I don't use the "Quic-Disc", and have had zero probs with the connectors that I do use.

Mike M
10-15-2007, 07:13 AM
I wonder if Chris has more or less incidents of aluminum corrosion with stake fixtures in/on the soil vs. gutter & tree mounts up in the air.

My assumption is there is less incidents of scuffing/scratching in the air, keeping the powder coat protecting the fixture. However, I have no idea if the fixture is actually more exposed to salt chrystals? I wonder if Chris has info on which application failure becomes more typical.

The white powder-coat fixture looks great for gutter mounting.

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
The white powder-coat fixture looks great for gutter mounting.

brass and copper can be powder coated as well.

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 08:22 AM
The point of the matter is that you can buy quality aluminum fixtures. You don't have to "STAY AWAY FROM ALUMINUM".

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 08:25 AM
The point of the matter is that you can buy quality aluminum fixtures. You don't have to "STAY AWAY FROM ALUMINUM".

If you don't mind them potentially corroding that is depending on your climate.

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Do you know of any metal that has NO potential of corrosion under any circumstances? I would like to see that.

JoeyD
10-15-2007, 10:50 AM
What about GOLD?

Warmer dryer climates will allow Aluminum to last longer, places like TX, AZ, NV, and other dryer areas have great success with Aluminum but it still isnt a life time material. The main reason anyone uses aluminum is price, not because it is better than brass or copper.

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
You're right!! If we want a fixture that has no chance of corrosion, let's get those gold ones. I wonder what those prices would come out to?

JoeyD
10-15-2007, 09:01 PM
LOL..........ummmmmmmmmmm, lets look at it another way......How much money would you make if you could sell them and found someone willing to buy them?????????? Can you say Saudi Arabia!!!

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 09:05 PM
You think I can get them through Unique? I'm thinking Teka. Nevermind, their already priced like gold.

JoeyD
10-15-2007, 09:08 PM
oooooooohhhhhhhh...LOL....thats messed up!

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Do you know of any metal that has NO potential of corrosion under any circumstances? I would like to see that.

Brass, copper, bronze and stainless steel are all impervious to the elements. If you've ever experienced rusting of these metals it's because they were mixed improperly with a percentage of ferrous metals which do rust. I'm not a metalurgist i just play one on Lawnsite.

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Impervious? I have seen all of these metals pitted with corrosion. Not what I would call damaged, just pitted. This is corrosion however and will get worse. I don't even play like a metallurgist, even on lawnsite.

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Impervious? I have seen all of these metals pitted with corrosion. Not what I would call damaged, just pitted. This is corrosion however and will get worse. I don't even play like a metallurgist, even on lawnsite.

prove it. You are bluffing

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
You're right!! If we want a fixture that has no chance of corrosion, let's get those gold ones. I wonder what those prices would come out to?

Guess what... there is a gold fixture out there. I "invented" it about 3 or 4 years ago and to my knowledge have been the only person ever to sell them. The "Soleckiliter" from Nightscaping is an 18K Gold pathlight fixture that I have installed on a couple of occassions for my very best clients as a gift fixture. It is a truly remarkable item.

My wife enjoys the one I installed for her in our garden... it has never lost its lustre.

Have a great day.

Mike M
10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Okay this is funny stuff, but listen,

I can get the Cast solid bronze bullet for 59 bucks a pop, with 25' of wire. That's a low price for a corrosion-resistant fixture along the salt water.

My question originally has to do with reliable gutter-mounting fixtures for architectural lighting. Cost-effective is good, as long as she'll hold up in air close to the sea. I guess the powder-coat should be fine, as long as I lube the screws and contact points. From what you guys are teaching me, quality installation is the key.

I'll push my customers toward brass, copper, and bronze, and sell it as an insurance policy. If they are on salt water I won't even give them an option.

JoeyD
10-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I am speachless

Mike M
10-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Don't make me resurface the more-splice-stuff thread with gold plated connectors.

JoeyD
10-15-2007, 09:45 PM
AHHHHHHHH..........Dont do it...........After what James said I want to retire because I have surley herd it all now!!!

I want one for my office!! Hook me up James!! Just dont ask me to be your wife.......LOL

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 09:51 PM

I can get the Cast solid bronze bullet for 59 bucks a pop, with 25' of wire. That's a low price for a corrosion-resistant fixture along the salt water.

My question originally has to do with reliable gutter-mounting fixtures for architectural lighting. Cost-effective is good, as long as she'll hold up in air close to the sea. I guess the powder-coat should be fine, as long as I lube the screws and contact points. From what you guys are teaching me, quality installation is the key.

I'll push my customers toward brass, copper, and bronze, and sell it as an insurance policy. If they are on salt water I won't even give them an option.

Don't be so sure about everything being alright with powder coat aluminum by just lubing the hardware. That will leave you with nothing but hardware after the elements have taken it's toll on the aluminum and returned it to the earth in the form of dust. Ashes to ashes dust to dust....... Kinda hard to make adjustments with nothing but stainless hardware, a lamp and maybe a socket lying on the ground where your fixture used to be.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-15-2007, 10:45 PM
AHHHHHHHH..........Dont do it...........After what James said I want to retire because I have surley herd it all now!!!

I want one for my office!! Hook me up James!! Just dont ask me to be your wife.......LOL

Joey Joey Joey.... Trust me.... You would NEVER even come close to filling the pre-requisites!

As for the 18K Gold Soleckiliter.... I can get you one if you want, but it will cost you! (the American $ is now worth about 0.97 cents Canadian) Last time I checked they were about $500, and of course your boss might not appreciate it in your office.

Let me know if you want some bling and I will make the call.

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I am sold. I got to get one. Let me see if I can expense it!!

Thanks James!!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-16-2007, 10:22 AM
I am sold. I got to get one. Let me see if I can expense it!!

Thanks James!!!

Here is a photo of the 18K Gold Soleckiliter / Goldetliter....

We might as well make this worthwhile... anyone else like one or two of these? I will accept orders for them for until next wednesday and then have them made up in a batch. Pricing to follow... I will have to get this updated.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
10-16-2007, 10:32 AM

First off how many times have we said no discussing contractor price. We GAVE you the tool to use in this application. If you choose Kichler or unique you wont be disapointed but I really like the low profile of the stellars. Small... easy to hide and come with every lens you can imagine. Yes they are more than a basic cast bullet but you get more and your clients should realize that. If they still want alluminum its your call if you do the job or not

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm waiting for that pricing of the gold fixture!! I might have to have one of those puppies.

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 12:02 PM
It's like a trophy!!!

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 12:04 PM
That's what I was thinking!! Put it on a base and use it as a desk light!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Nawww... not on your desk! Install it in your garden and appreciate it for what it was intended. It really is a lovely fixture amongst all the greenery.

Makes a truly REMARKABLE 'gift' for your best clients.

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM

We might as well make this worthwhile... anyone else like one or two of these? I will accept orders for them for until next wednesday and then have them made up in a batch. Pricing to follow... I will have to get this updated.

Have a great day.

$500 dollar gold fixture. .22 cent plastic bayonet socket. I'm gonna run right out and order.

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Lol.......

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
$500 dollar gold fixture. .22 cent plastic bayonet socket. I'm gonna run right out and order.

Once again, you are incorrect.

I order all of my Deliter fixtures with a wedge base socket and a 921 or 912 xenon lamp. The xenon lamps outperform the SCB lamps and tuck up into the bell of the fixture higher so to reduce any glare when the fixture is installed on elevations.

This is just one simple example of how willing Nightscaping is to work with the contractors to deliver a custom product to our specifications. Since I made this change to the product, it has pretty much become standard for most of the contractors here in Ontario to order the fixture this way.

Don't be so sure of yourself all the time Pete. It has a way of looking bad on you.

Go Halogen
10-18-2007, 10:05 PM
The Stellar does well on the gutter mounts, but I recently began using
the Vista GR-2207 with a frosted lens. Nice muted light source, mr-11 gives it a nice punch and the frosted lens evens it out. I usually get it in a color that matches the roofing material. It blends in better.

As for the bronze vs. aluminum......live and live. I have used it all for many years. My aluminum fixtures are still working (even at the beach!!!).
The brass and bronze fixtures may last longer on the outside, but check out the internals......socket wire jackets flaking off, sockets turning to dust, and I must say....mr-16 mirror coatings do not last as long in those brass and bronze "hot house tanks". They hold too much heat.

Am I the only one that has seen this?? Let me know.......

Andy:confused:

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 10:52 PM
mr-16 mirror coatings do not last as long in those brass and bronze "hot house tanks". They hold too much heat.

I dunno about that. The GE's I pull out of those little copper branding irons look pristine even after a few yrs. Guess it depends upon the lamp brand then.

JoeyD
10-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Our Sockets are made from Beryylium....never will turn to dust

Jesse L
10-21-2007, 12:53 AM
prove it. You are bluffing

I've been reading through some of these posts, and I'm finding this forum quite interesting? Pete, do you have some kind of chip on your shoulder, or is it your purpose in life to give everyone you meet a bad time? I noticed you have a lot of information to spew, but what is the name of your company?
Thank you,
Jesse

Mike M
10-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Leave Pete alone!:cry:

lol.

Pete's along the Atlantic, and so am I. If he says he's had touble with aluminum, I would like to read his comments.

Not too long ago, someone posted a pic of an aluminum tulip path light they pulled out of the ground, and they were from a coastal area. That image is stuck in my head as I begin my lighting business, which I hope will have greater longevity than that fixture.

Kichler and Vista, etc., use modern coatings to keep the aluminum fixtures standing, but what is a long time for these companies? 3 years, 5 years, 15 years? How much is the life expectancy shortened in hot, humid, salty areas?

I can read books on this, or I can ask the guys that put them in and yank them out.

Seems to me there are many applications for cost-effective aluminum, and there are many applications better suited for the more noble metals.

Common sense would seem like the aluminum niche lights should hold up when up and out of the way of soil and scuffing, but I am now wondering about sea air. Any corrosion issues above ground would be appreciated. All real world experiences welcome.

Thanks!!

Mike

pete scalia
10-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Leave Pete alone!:cry:

lol.

Pete's along the Atlantic, and so am I. If he says he's had touble with aluminum, I would like to read his comments.

Not too long ago, someone posted a pic of an aluminum tulip path light they pulled out of the ground, and they were from a coastal area. That image is stuck in my head as I begin my lighting business, which I hope will have greater longevity than that fixture.

Kichler and Vista, etc., use modern coatings to keep the aluminum fixtures standing, but what is a long time for these companies? 3 years, 5 years, 15 years? How much is the life expectancy shortened in hot, humid, salty areas?

I can read books on this, or I can ask the guys that put them in and yank them out.

Seems to me there are many applications for cost-effective aluminum, and there are many applications better suited for the more noble metals.

Common sense would seem like the aluminum niche lights should hold up when up and out of the way of soil and scuffing, but I am now wondering about sea air. Any corrosion issues above ground would be appreciated. All real world experiences welcome.

Thanks!!

Mike

The proof is in the puddin'.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-23-2007, 10:31 AM

Have a great day.

Hi Guys. I have an update for you on the 18K Gold Pathlight...

If you would like to have one as a "sample" fixture, you can Call Connie Barnes directly at Nightscaping 1-800-544-4840. For $285 + appropriate shipping and handling they will sell you one directly.

If you want to purchase multiple units for installations, then go through your standard distribution channels.

This would make a great present for the Mrs. at Christmas, or as I use them, for gifts to my best clients.

To be clear, this is a copper deliter, plated in chrome, then plated in 18k Gold. It is shipped complete with a Brass ground stake.

NightScenes
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info James.

Mike M
12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
The brand new Mini-Washliter is also all copper and uses a bi-pin lamp. It comes as a wall mount or stake mounted and has a frosted lens and dimpled reflector. An accessory shield is available.

Okay, now that I had a chance to compare the miniwashliter with the steller, they are both cool, but I think the steller has a little more substance and architectural appeal to it, and I like the built-in glare reduction. I also like the gutter bracket that you can get with it.

I'd like to see the glare shield accessory for the miniwashliter, if anyone has an image of it. It is a neat little fixture with potential, but it looks a little cheap and has a lot of glare without the shield.

Thanks,

Mike