PDA

View Full Version : aerate or dethatch

LawnBoy89
10-10-2007, 11:46 PM
what would you guys say is better for over seeding...aerating or dethatching...or both..and if so...any specific order?

DoetschOutdoor
10-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Aeration is a form of dethatching but the two are completely different when it comes to overseeding. Dethatching is only going to remove the dead grass/thatch while aerating will break up the ground and you will have a better seedbed.

KS_Grasscutter
10-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Sometimes the very best thing is to aerate and slice-seed. Although, just aerating seems to work very well too.

LawnBoy89
10-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks alot that clears it up....should I use starter fert when overseeding or just seed..thanks

DoetschOutdoor
10-11-2007, 11:41 AM
It definately doesnt hurt to put starter fert. Make sure to water.

turfcobob
10-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Dethatching is the process of removing the dead organic debris from the surface of the mineral or soil in the lawn. Aeration is the process of making holes or air passages in the lawn and overseeding is the process of placine seeds thru the organic layer and into the mineral layer for germination.

There are reasons you do each of these. In Order

One Dethatch the lawn if the organic layer or thatch is more than 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. If it is less I would not worry about it the next two processes will help get rid of the thatch.

two Aerate the lawn extensively say up to 15 to 20 holes per sq ft. The holes make excellent spots for germination of new plants. Also the slit seeding will break up the cores put some of the dirt into the holes and scatter the rest to help decompose the thatch.

three Use a good verticutting unit to slice in the seed after you have broadcast the seed onto the lawn. Better yet use a good Slicing Seeder on the lawn and slice thru the thatch and up to 3/8 inch into the soil.

Note a slicer seeder has fixed blades a dethatcher has flail or hinged blades. The hinged or flail blades do not do a good job of slicing the soil.

LawnBoy89
10-11-2007, 05:21 PM
So i shouldnt just go over it with a spreader to seed it I should use the slit seeder? well thanks alot hopefully ill get to it this weekend and let you guys know how it comes out in a couple weeks....

one more question...should i put the last step of the fertilizer on the lawn....the weed + feed with wintergaurd...or i should skiip that because im seeding?

DoetschOutdoor
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
You do NOT want to put any fertilizer with weed control in it while you are seeding. Any remaining weeds will have died off in a few weeks and you want to focus on the grass seed this time of the year. Wait until the spring and make sure you stay on top weeds then.

To get a good answer, you should let us know what the lawn looks like right now or get a picture. Dethatching a lawn that does not need it will do more harm than good. Slice seeding a really thick lawn will not get you the good results if it is so thick that the seed does not make it into the soil. But then again, if the lawn is bare or thin, nothing can beat putting the seed down in the soil. No one on here can really tell you exactly what to do without some more info on the lawn or pictures.

turfcobob
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
It will work best if you aerate first, seed second and slice it all in last. Cutting into the dirt about 3/8 of an inch. Best to go two directions with both the aeration and the slicer.

LawnBoy89
10-12-2007, 06:33 PM
So the slicer isnt a seeding machine...i was confused I thought you put the seed into a machine and it slices it into the soil, so you are saying aerate, spread the seed, and then use the dethather on a very light setting ? My lawn actually is decetly thick, my main concern is the weeds which is only on the edge of my driveway i will take pictures right now be up in about 10 minuts thanks alot.

avnorm
10-17-2007, 12:55 AM
I had same problem along the edge of the driveway and street.

I pulled the crabgrass; sprayed round-up for the smaller weeds; scarified the soil; hand dropped grass seed; and sprinkled topsoil; watered.

In 2 weeks grass is growing and next spring should be better.

Why does crabgrass grow along the edges, and then spread like cancer?

Premo Services
10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Why does crabgrass grow along the edges, and then spread like cancer?

on the edges of the walks, driveway, the heat from sun and concrete, asphalt make the lawn bake and kill it, when there is no grass there crabgrass or other weeds will grow.
I have found that trimming higher in these areas will help, also a good preemergent will help.

avnorm
10-18-2007, 01:28 AM
I have used pre-em for years, but the edges get crabgrass as does any spot or area where grass has died from heat stress. Confluent grass seems to be best prevention.

Crab grass is a cancer that grows where little else will.