PDA

View Full Version : More pics from sunny/dry NC

BrandonV
10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
still working on this development entrance, not water meter yet so we're guesstimating on the zonage and also having to water all the trees w/ our hydroseeder... of course today they asked if I could install the backflow so I said sure, at least it'll get done this month so I can get some water and sod. also throwing a few pics of 3 of my 7 ponds... they all look like this if not worse, actually these are the 3 best at the moment.. also thought I show a few of my toys and what nice dirt this place has, its a real shame all the good farmland is going to developments or just houses, wish we'd build houses on crappy soil

BrandonV
10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
notice my guys are wearing jackets, some 3 layers... it was a frigid 68˚ today...

BrandonV
10-11-2007, 06:10 PM
this is our reserve pond... notice where the tractor/pump is

lawncare18
10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
wow your about out of water hope you get some soon.. whats your plan for when those go dry???

Mike Leary
10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Nice pics Brandon..nice web site too..have you found your irri lead?

BrandonV
10-11-2007, 07:53 PM
no lead yet, its really funny here in NC you hear people complain about not having work yet last month I hired 4 wbs (white boys) and 1 is still here. when these ponds go dry I'll have to start looking at turning this place into a trailer park i guess. nursery sales are at a standstill now on the east coast, talked to a big time sod installer this week out of charlotte and he's down to 4 men. so as you can guess sales aren't booming, and unfortuantly I don't know if I could scrape up the $$$ for an ag grade well, right now we're running hoses from small wells, trying to make a dent. out #1 pond is spring fed, so I think we'll be alright for another month, just makes you real nervous with all that money in container stock. of course if I grew tobacco or corn the government would come in a write me a big check but that won't likely happen. thank God my landscape crew is booked thru spring or I would be in trouble.

lawncare18
10-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Happened to a golf course near me.. his ponds got so low this summer his intakes wouldnt suck .. he had to pump water from a swamp on the far far end and run pipe to the pond to get it so the intake would suck.. scary scary tought.. I hope things will work out for you.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Thats something you do not see happening around here...Houses going up...The Construction boom is @ a lull here....

Check this out..My buddies friend is a plumber...Now a plumber is a LOCK for work on cape year round....3 weeks ago he got the dole..Plumbers getting laid off makes me nervous...The housing market up here is Slowly hitting a stand still.Even the dominant immigrant population(Brazil) are packing up and moving out....

Great pics Brandon, Thats a huge trench you got there..
Digging looks good...Those guys in the sweat shirts crack me up...Up here we love those days.

DanaMac
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
notice my guys are wearing jackets, some 3 layers... it was a frigid 68˚ today...

Better start blowing out the systems then! :laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Great pics Brandon. We were on the cusp of serious drought restrictions with lakes at record lows and then the skies opened up and flooded every lake here. Hope the same happens for you really soon.

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 07:00 AM
the bulk of my crew are refugees from vietnam, and they like it hot. they run up a horrendous heating bill because they keep their houses ~90˚ in the winter so they can walk around in their shorts. just an update on the weather 34˚ this morning... so we've gone from 90s to the 30s in two days, a great place.

PurpHaze
10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
That clay sure looks pretty... dry. If/when the rains come then it's a quagmire. Great pics and good job. :drinkup:

WalkGood
10-12-2007, 12:44 PM
just an update on the weather 34˚ this morning... so we've gone from 90s to the 30s in two days, a great place.

You must either be up in the mountains or need a new thermometer! I've got relatives by you and temps were 42˚ as a low this morning. Still kinda cold, but not 34˚.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHBI/2007/10/12/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA Asheboro weather (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHBI/2007/10/12/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA)

:)

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 05:47 PM
no I'm in the dead center of the state, and one of the guys who works for me had ice on his car, we have a lot of "micro climates" here though, some times asheboro (9 miles away) have snow and we'll be in the upper 40s. it shocked me too. few more pics, one of my main pond, which we're digging out since it's dry... also having a fish fry, and pic from the job where we're brining tractors home for the weekend..

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 05:52 PM
That is one sweet hauler, Brandon! Is that your portable office R.V. too?

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
no we used to have one when mom and dad did a lot of work at myrtle beach, but believe it or not we got into trouble a few times with cities saying you need a building permit... now I just haul everything back and forth for the most part so people don't steal stuff, at least on these commercial jobs, the residential jobs tend to have fewer construction workers/theives. the truck there is a c7500 w/ a cat engine and eaton fuller 10speed tranny, air brakes/suspension, i bought that off ebay oddly enough. a guy out in the midwest bought it to be his pickup, had it for a year and put 2k on it, i'm guessing he didn't have cdl because he didn't have it federally inspected or have a fuel sticker on it... anyways bought it for 28k under sticker, only downside is i have to give up my f550 which i miss terriably, but this does tow a few pounds more. on there i have a cat 287b two dw sk650s, trencer, 53" auger, trench backfiller, roto tiller, 2 sets of forks and a bore kit for good measure, still get about 9mpg.