PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love them Rocks

AWJ Services
10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
This was sticking out of the ground about the size of a basketball.
The guy wants to put a garage up here and this whole area is loaded with rocks.

100 feet away there is no rocks in the ground what so ever.

TonyG
10-11-2007, 08:05 PM
handle that beast? How far did you have to push it?

tthomass
10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
How do you like the 140? Can you compare it against the 130 and 150?

AWJ Services
10-11-2007, 08:55 PM
handle that beast? How far did you have to push it?

It is hard too tell in the picture but it was around 4 foot undergrade.
I tried shoving it but that was a no go.
I placed a large stone next too it and used it for a fulcrum too lift the rock.
I then placed a bunch of rocks under it .
I was then able too spin it up the grade till I got it out.
I have picked up 7000 pounds plus with my machine and it would not hardly budge the rock.It has too be in excess of 15K.
I have moved it just out of the way.

How do you like the 140? Can you compare it against the 130 and 150?

I love it.It is a little noisy but in it's class no machine is stronger.
I have never demoed the 150 but I have ran the 130.
The 130 is agreat landscaping machine.
It however is not big enough for serious hardscaping.

I have posted pictures of the 140 picking up 2 pallets of wall blocks that weighed around 7k.

RockSet N' Grade
10-11-2007, 09:09 PM
That is a nice sized piece of mother nature. Great thinking on moving that little rascal.

Fieldman12
10-11-2007, 09:25 PM
That is a big rock. That Takauchi sure does work hard.

Gravel Rat
10-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Thats not a big rock :laugh:

If you can't lift its you always can try roll it or push it etc and the last resort is try split it in half with a breaker or dig a big hole and push it in.

AWJ Services
10-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Day 2

Another rock.Not near as big.
Had too get some good dirt .
The pad is getting close.

grossbec28
10-12-2007, 07:08 PM
the takeuchis are greeeeaaattt machines we have a tl140 to it is an awesome piece of equipment and it does the sam as the tl150 10 hp difference but it is not worth paying the extra $10,000

DBL
10-12-2007, 07:59 PM
ive only ran a 130 and its a tough machine....those are some serious rocks

YellowDogSVC
10-12-2007, 09:04 PM
hope you had a rock clause. :)

AWJ Services
10-12-2007, 11:19 PM
When I was digging around the rock I kept having too swing left and right trying too get positioned.
There were tons of softball and baseball size rocks kept getting caught in the tracks and actually would bind the machine up and stop it from moving.
The smaller ones would just go through the rollers and would disintegrate.
I would hate too see what would have happened too a track system with plastic rollers.

As far as the rock clause this job is an hourly job.
I have about 7 hours in it so far machine time.

It has been tough finding the right spot because of the slope and also being close too the property line.
The top soil was close too 2 foot thick compounding the problem.
I usually just rip through it and then ready for the pad.
The only problem was there was tons of rocks in the first 2 foot of ground with sizes ranging from footballs too wheel barrows plus the 2 big ones.

Hopefully we will pour the pad next week and then I can start cleaning this mess up.

YellowDogSVC
10-12-2007, 11:30 PM
what do you charge by the hour for this type of work?
what part of GA?

We have some big rocks here. Some are the size of 1/2 ton trucks some are the size of dump trucks but most I encounter are about 5-6' and a big skidsteer can handle them. I use them to line roads, landscape, etc. All limestone and they weather to a nice gray. Any use for the big ones you pull up?

AWJ Services
10-13-2007, 01:05 AM
These rocks are mostly Granite.
They do well in landscaping.
The big is too big for me too do much with.LOL
The second one I can move pretty well.

what do you charge by the hour for this type of work?
what part of GA?

I live South of Atlanta and work anywhere in the Metro Area.
This job is a neighbor.

65 an hour is a good rate here.
I have friends with 953 Cats that only get 95 an hour.
This job will be around 50 an hour because they are good friends and neighbors.
I figure I will have 10 hours in it when done.

If I did not no the person it would well be worth a 1000 dollars.

I will keep all the big rocks.
I have 5 acres so room is not an issue.
I find it advantages too have stuff like this just too sweeten a clients deal at little or no expense too me.
I have tons of green Lirope I dig up from jobs and save for later.
The Variegated stuff was all the rage but the solid green is making a come back.

YellowDogSVC
10-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Sounds very reasonable for near a big town. The guys are getting quite a bit more here, near San Antonio per hour for skidsteer work or backhoe. This area is booming, though. It's always nice to help a friend or neighbor. I generally end up working for near free in those cases.

Good luck on the rest of the project!

RockSet N' Grade
10-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Kinda side tracking the thread a little about helping a friend or neighbor. We just had an elderly couple move in down the road. Wife has alzheimers. Hubby is an old dairy man and wants to build a barn in the back yard so he can have a jersey cow to milk........just couldn't deny them - we are digging a water/power trench and laying 18" ditch pipe for them today for fuel and lunch. Sometimes you just gotta give back a little........

Construct'O
10-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Kinda side tracking the thread a little about helping a friend or neighbor. We just had an elderly couple move in down the road. Wife has alzheimers. Hubby is an old dairy man and wants to build a barn in the back yard so he can have a jersey cow to milk........just couldn't deny them - we are digging a water/power trench and laying 18" ditch pipe for them today for fuel and lunch. Sometimes you just gotta give back a little........

At your age i understand !!!!!!!!*trucewhiteflag*

Rained here taking the day off.Take care:usflag:

AWJ Services
10-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Sometimes you just gotta give back a little........

It's always nice to help a friend or neighbor. I generally end up working for near free in those cases.

Very true.
I help these guys out alot though with them being good friends so I have too keep them honest.:)

I also am arranging for the guys too slick the concrete and also getting the mud at a reduced rate as well as assisting in a few other processes that require very little physical labor from me but with contacts I have established.
My neighbor will end up saving a substantial amount of money in the end.
I will make a little change as well.

Sounds very reasonable for near a big town.

Here the Labor rates are no were near as good as other parts of the USA.
We struggle too get 20 cents a foot for labor only on sod prep and installations.
There are tons of crews doing it for 10 to 15 cents a foot.
Guys run there Skids for what ends up being 40 dollars an hour.
There is alot of competition here.
We also have many people who own older Trackloaders(JD 455, Cat 931,etc) that throw there selves in the grading mix at 60 bucks an hour.
Too the consumer it is hard for them too understand a large skid steer can be as efficient as JD455 because of the size difference.

YellowDogSVC
10-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Here the Labor rates are no were near as good as other parts of the USA.
We struggle too get 20 cents a foot for labor only on sod prep and installations.
There are tons of crews doing it for 10 to 15 cents a foot.
Guys run there Skids for what ends up being 40 dollars an hour.
There is alot of competition here.
We also have many people who own older Trackloaders(JD 455, Cat 931,etc) that throw there selves in the grading mix at 60 bucks an hour.
Too the consumer it is hard for them too understand a large skid steer can be as efficient as JD455 because of the size difference.

I can't understand why the labor rates are so much lower. We have half of Mexico working here with pick axes and shovels and everybody and their brother has a tractor, old skid steer, or bulldozer. No regulation on construction, barely or non-existent enforcment of EPA Phase II regulations, no subdivision enforcement rules, lots of large and I mean LARGE ranches, and a population that for the most part, is just middle class. I personally would be working somewhere else if I had to run a skid for $40 an hour! I ran a tractor in 1998 for $40 mowing lots. My repairs are $85-105 hr! Fuel at 3.00 gallon and parts, don't get me started on parts! Just doesn't make sense. I can see $65/hr as you mentioned in an earlier post and that is reasonable for dirt work but...
I look at it like this. There are mercedes dealer right next to Kia dealers. There are high end clients and low end clients. I try to work for the high end clients that expect more and pay more otherwise I am working on a permanent downhill slope and looking at the numbers, it's a slope that will run me out of business over a long run. Competiton is scary. Scares the heck out of me but so many other companies make a mess..and charge less too. I have started advertising that I will clean up after the other guy. It is working. I picked up a job that payed very well cleaning up after competitor beat me on the bid. He left a mess and took off. I fixed it though it wasn't easy.

Sorry getting off track.*trucewhiteflag*

AWJ Services
10-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I can't understand why the labor rates are so much lower.

The metro Atlanta area was for the last 10 years the fastest growing areas in the nation.
The building industry was off the scale.
The amount of work and the amount of Mexicans trying too get into the business has pushed the overall rates down.
Now we are faced with a major recession here with the amount of new homes being built cut by 80%.
All the jack legs are going out of business and the Mexicans are leaving for greener pastures.
I personally will not run my Tractor for less than 40 dollars an hour much less my skid steer.
I find myself loosing jobs(price wise) but each year my business is growing slowly.
I refuse too wear my equipment out for free just too be working.
I really think in the long run this will be good for our business's here as the reputable companies will still be around and we bid more inline with what the market value needs too be.

I actually have a very strong opinion on this very subject and we probally think alike about this situation.

YellowDogSVC
10-13-2007, 12:39 PM
amen brother! those parts are too expensive to work for nothing. Yes, we all have to sacrifice when we need bread money but I have learned to refocus, cut the non profitable jobs (though I find one now and again) and concentrate on doing good for existing customers and their referrals. I am also catering to the baby boomers who are starting to retire. I mostly clear land, chip, and grind and used to do a lot of driveways but have cut that to mostly repairs since driveway work here is not very profitable due to the frequency of flash flooding. I find repairs are better than installations for that segment.
How far out of Atlanta are you? My dad was with Bellsouth until he retired in 03 and came out west. He was headquarted in Atlanta and commuted from carrollton. We lived in Birmingham area for a few years. I miss that area terribly. I do not like Texas as much but have been here 11+ years. We have friends in Peachtree City.

AWJ Services
10-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I am southeast side of Atlanta near Mcdonough.
My mailing address is Jackson,Ga.

muddstopper
10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Getting back to the large rocks. I like to hual them all home and stockpile them. I have found that people with rocks want to get rid of them, and those without rocks will pay a good price for them. Normal 1ton size rocks will bring around $100 bucks apiece to the right person. At anyrate, I am always going home at the end of the day and if I can hual a load of large rocks home, its like money in the bank. Of course it helps to have a place to stockpile.

RockSet N' Grade
10-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Mudstopper, I know it is all geographically driven, yet a nice landscape boulder like those shown will draw $650-$850 a piece delivered and not even set in our neck of the woods.