PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still doing new installs?

JimLewis
10-12-2007, 02:16 AM
I just landed 2 irrigation system installs. Both will begin in about 2 weeks. A little late in the year. But I'll take what I can get, even if it is late. It doesn't really freeze here so we can still install in the fall/winter as long as it's not pouring down rain that day.

I am sure guys in CA and AZ and TX do installs all year. But anyone else in a semi-cold climate still doing installs?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 07:48 AM
We are but i have been doing blow outs.....

I guess we have a few coming up.
I love installing in the mud.

greenmonster304
10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
we still have at least three left for this fall.

lehrjetmx
10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Got 2 new ones this week just upgrades though. Customers finally got their pools in and concrete down now want planters and sod so here we go trying to do installs and blowouts. Hopefully we remember to take the right equipment to the right site:laugh: compressor vs trencher

Kiril
10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I am sure guys in CA and AZ and TX do installs all year.

That would be correct.

txgrassguy
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Yes, I have five residential and three apartment complexes on the schedule right now.
Blowout????What is a Blowout???:)
I'm kidding, I what it is but at first I thought you guys were commenting on how my ex-wife blowed out of her size six to a size fourteen.

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Me and Hank have install work year around. Use party tents in the rain,
snow & freeze is all that slows us down.

Flow Control
10-12-2007, 01:09 PM
We have another 1.5-2 months worth of installs, personally I am hoping for rain and cold temps to push the work to 08 and if any price increases come down from manufactures we will just make the customers either cut checks for the products then or issue a reflective increase in their contract in 08. (my contracts are great :) )

Kiril
10-12-2007, 01:25 PM
snow & freeze is all that slows us down.

What a bull. :weightlifter:

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 01:27 PM
What a bull. :weightlifter:

I said we have work, I did'nt say I go out there!:laugh:

Kiril
10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh, so your not one of those rains gotta be bouncing off the hood of the truck at least 1/2" types?

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, so your not one of those rains gotta be bouncing off the hood of the truck at least 1/2" types?

"Raingear" has never been in my vocabulary.:laugh:

Kiril
10-12-2007, 01:44 PM
"Raingear" has never been in my vocabulary.:laugh:

:laugh: I see. I too only work when it's sunny and between 75-85 degrees. ;)

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 06:50 PM
:laugh: I see. I too only work when it's sunny and between 75-85 degrees. ;)

now, now, I've worked in the rain..many times, barking orders thru the
partially opened window of my truck.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 06:57 PM
now, now, I've worked in the rain..many times, barking orders thru the
partially opened window of my truck.

par the course.

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 07:01 PM
par the course.

Eat your heart out...wet puppy.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Eat your heart out...wet puppy.

no problemo MR Primadonna

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 07:16 PM
::::re adjusts diamond, copper, brass & ruby tiara:::

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
::gets shovel::

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 07:38 PM
::gets shovel::

Kenyon 4" sharp point, I assume.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Kenyon 4", I assume.

I like the structon 6 and 4 inch...

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
wouldn't think irrigation guys would be afraid of getting wet... we busy through spring now, but I tell the worst thing in the world is building water features in the winter, did a big one past january and the wind comming off the lake on days when the high is 26 sucks... but gotta make that dollar and keep everyone gainfully employeed.

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Brandon, we really like your biz & posts, but we're putting you on a trial
spell check motif. (signed) spelling geek.

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
sorry, different computer didn't have spell check turned on *trucewhiteflag*

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Brandon, we really like your biz & posts, but we're putting you on a trial
spell check motif.

Don't listen to Brandon..

Mike leary=Grammar Nazi plain>simple.....

Does the ground ever freeze down there?

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 07:57 PM
freeze as in solid? as in can't plant or trench? No. it does freeze/thaw a lot though. the ground will heave and this tends to 1. make mulch look horrible in the spring 2. people who don't install pavers correctly have failures (namely guys who use mortar and sand as edge restraint 3) you'll start your day off with dry ground, but by lunch time its a muddy mess. a lot of yanks are shocked when they move here because our prime planting season here is Nov - Feb/March, blows them away

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 08:15 PM
freeze as in solid? as in can't plant or trench? No. it does freeze/thaw a lot though. the ground will heave and this tends to 1. make mulch look horrible in the spring 2. people who don't install pavers correctly have failures (namely guys who use mortar and sand as edge restraint 3) you'll start your day off with dry ground, but by lunch time its a muddy mess. a lot of yanks are shocked when they move here because our prime planting season here is Nov - Feb/March, blows them away

LOL So is that a good germinating time for the turf as well?

and in the summer they just"maintain"?

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Mike leary=Grammar Nazi plain>simple...

What can I say?, Mom was a english teacher.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
What can I say?, Mom was a english teacher.

my mom too....weird..

::cries in failure::

Mike Leary
10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
my mom too....weird..

::cries in failure::

Mom would be happy with spell check & by the way," your shoes are untied,
& your zipper is down again." ::classic Mom talk::

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 09:11 PM
well if it would rain now would be a great time to seed. summer sometimes sucks because most everyone here has fescue lawns, and for some reason irrigation systems dont break until it's 100˚+

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-12-2007, 09:13 PM
well if it would rain now would be a great time to seed. summer sometimes sucks because most everyone here has fescue lawns, and for some reason irrigation systems dont break until it's 100˚+

Is there a large market for the service work?

100's!!!!!!

I dont think i could wear pants in that weather.

BrandonV
10-12-2007, 11:01 PM
huge market? not huge but we do stay busy between ponds and irrigation systems. we do often have quite a bit of lighting damage in the summer... not so much this summer because we didn't have any storms :-) hence the drought

londonrain
10-13-2007, 10:21 AM
We are still doing installs and service...five zone install last week, six zone install this week, 4 zone install next week plus a 2 zone add-on, then we have a two zone add-on, then another 3 zone add-on, then a 8 zone system scheduled in Feb 08.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm still getting lots of service calls. Don't do installs so I just see what is going on when I'm driving around. I think the install market in dallas has slowed down. we had so much rain i'm guessing a lot of folks decided to put it off. Seems like all new houses these days come with a system. I'm developing a new niche that is really filling up my calendar. After every service call I walk the customer through with the remote and show them areas where we can improve on water conservation. My valvette thread was a demo for a customer on getting the water low and cutting the mist out of the spray. Originally that was a riser throwing over shrubs at 80psi and getting water all over the windows and missing the root zone of the shrubs. So I leave them with seeds on future irrigation needs or get them right back on the calendar at a later date for more work. Rule one in my company is that SPRINKLER SYSTEMS ARE NEVER FINISHED>> They ARE JUST BROUGHT TO AN INVOICE.

PurpHaze
10-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Got 2 new ones this week just upgrades though. Customers finally got their pools in and concrete down now want planters and sod so here we go trying to do installs and blowouts. Hopefully we remember to take the right equipment to the right site:laugh: compressor vs trencher

Kinda a biatch if you take the wrong equipment and blow out their pool. :laugh:

PurpHaze
10-13-2007, 11:49 AM
We have another 1.5-2 months worth of installs, personally I am hoping for rain and cold temps to push the work to 08 and if any price increases come down from manufactures we will just make the customers either cut checks for the products then or issue a reflective increase in their contract in 08. (my contracts are great :) )

I know that our suppliers often do material estimates for customers and they only guarantee the prices for 30 days (might have even decreased with all the pricing fluctuations) because the prices may change. I spoke with our lead plumber and their supply houses only guarantee prices for 24 hours because of the tremendous pricing fluctuations... so this brings up an interesting question to the irrigation contractors out there.

Often there is lag time between the customer's quote and the actual purchasing of materials and the installation of the system as there are many different factors involved. There could be delays due to the customer saving up for the system, weather problems, long bidding processes (such as on public systems), coordinating with turf planting which must occur at a better time, the installer not being able to do the install until the next season due to loss of seasonal employees, etc. Do your contracts reflect in writing that a quote is only valid for a certain length of time in order to protect yourselves against price increases due to the lag time? Do you require the customer to sign a new contract or do you have another form developed specifically for this purpose?

Mike Leary
10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Prices are so freaky these days....we bill from the invoice & let the client
know why.

Kiril
10-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Prices are so freaky these days....we bill from the invoice & let the client
know why.

Ditto. My estimates have a 10-20% "margin of safety" accuracy condition written into it just for that purpose.