PDA

View Full Version : Ryco Engineering Transformers

Gladczak
10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Can anyone who has tried a Ryco Engineering 300W or 600W transformer provide an update on the product?

Pro-Scapes
10-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I wasnt aware you could make a new thread with same name.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=191752&highlight=ryco The search feature comes in real handy :-)

pete scalia
10-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I wasnt aware you could make a new thread with same name.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=191752&highlight=ryco The search feature comes in real handy :-)

Which would lead me to think it's a ringer of a post to get free mention and exposure. Buzz marketing anyone?

David Gretzmier
10-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Using the above link from pro-scapes will take you to my original thread on these back in June. At 4 months or so they are still going fine and strong. after several power-outages here I have been glad those particular trans have not required resetting. I ran those two that are out there to nearly full load, and no problems yet. I honestly expected some problems by now since I usually only go 80-85% of rated load. given the weight of the units compared to other 600 watt trans I am thinking they underrated them. Nearly no heat at all, no humming, they just work. I'd like a bit more voltage, but for now I am happy with them. I may put a 900 watt unit out there in the spring when Christmas lights are over, and maybe a couple of 300's. we'll see.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I just read through all the posts on the previous thread and clicked on the yardbright link which brought up a photo of the trans in question. I don't know what to tell you other than by outward appearance of this unit it is clear that it is configured all wrong. When is someone going to come up with a user friendly trans that has all the bells and whistles a master landscape lighting prodigy could want. I mean how do you even work with it when that door is beating down on your knuckles. The terminals are way too low. I'm not going to go further, It's just all wrong.

David Gretzmier
10-14-2007, 02:41 AM
I've installed Unique, FX, Nightscaping and repaired/added onto a few others. The terminals on this one are no lower than any of them , the door opens up and stays, so it never hit my fingers during install. I thought this unit was rather user friendly, as I opened the box, drilled and mounted it on the wall, wired in 4 different runs or so of wire, and set the timer in about 15 minutes. Others might have an opinion from looking at a picture, but it was pretty easy for me to install and use in person.

The biggest negative I have about the unit is it is open on the bottom. I think over time this will allow moisture to get to the wires and terminals and predispose it to corrosion. time will tell.