PDA

View Full Version : Uh, oh... not big enough supply line

PurpHaze
10-13-2007, 11:57 AM
One of our high schools wants a large (1-1/2") QCV installed on their varsity softball field in the area behind the pitcher's plate "like the Frosh and JV fields have" so they can water down the entire skinned playing area for games and practices without having to drag a hose (as was originally designed and installed by contractor when school was under construction).

Problem is that the other two fields were constructed after the fact because they originally were to be located in a different area of the athletic fields. We had a semi-manifold POC to come off of in that install and had a 3" supply line (off the 8" main line) that provides plenty of water and pressure. Those QCVs work like a charm with a 1-1/2" impact sprinkler pounding away and wetting down the skinned areas in no time at all.

We were told that a "supply already exists by the third base dugout" and the site figured it would just be a matter of tieing into the existing 1" QCV's supply and running a line about 75' to install the new QCV. Ha!!!!

The supply is 1" all the way back to the main line and a 1" QCV will not adequately work to cover the entire skinned infield. Boss told me to CAD it up as a new project tieing into the 8" main line and to get an estimate together. Course... I want to do it right and not install just a 1-1/2" spur off an 8" main line so I drew it up running a 4" line 60' to the field's fence line that will be teed and capped for future needs. Then we'll run a 2" line all the way to the pitcher's plate and reduce at the 1-1/2" swing joint we'll be installing for the QCV.

I came up with a materials estimate of $1,175.00 to do it all up correctly and can't wait for the school to choke on it. Course... the boss may eat part of it since we'll be installing the 4" spur to better allow us to change things in the area of the diamond in the future as they put more garbage in.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-13-2007, 12:14 PM
dam purp...

Quite a problem you got there...

on a sidenote the digging looks great.What on earth do you call that slop?
loamy-clay>sand reprise?

PurpHaze
10-13-2007, 12:27 PM
dam purp...

Quite a problem you got there...

Not really a problem. I would have been happy to just extend the 1" line to a new QCV but I just know from experience that it will not be adequate.

on a sidenote the digging looks great.What on earth do you call that slop?
loamy-clay>sand reprise?

It's "new high school built on top of old alfalfa field without ammendments or other soil prep being done" crappy soil. I love the squish of the truck's tires and mini tsunamis that gush out from under the tires while driving across the fields even though water has been cut WAY back.

They also graded the fields with crowns and swales leading to DIs to carry excess water away but it was totally done wrong and very unnecessay in our neck of the woods. Water sits everywhere. They should of just semi-leveled the entire area and let it soak in. Over half of the DIs have been covered over since they were deemed safety hazards but the hilliness remains.

PurpHaze
10-13-2007, 12:30 PM
... slop?

I forgot... what you may be seeing is the red clay/cinder mix that is used on the infield surfacing. The rest of it mostly sandy loam... clumps together when wet, easy digging when right moisture content is present and hard as a Cape Cod crab's shell when dry. :laugh:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I forgot... what you may be seeing is the red clay/cinder mix that is used on the infield surfacing. The rest of it mostly sandy loam... clumps together when wet, easy digging when right moisture content is present and hard as a Cape Cod crab's shell when dry. :laugh:

Thats insane!

We never add water to the earth to make it prime time digging. We get some pretty fair sandy farm loam on the Cape. But I tell you when we get rocky clay, its a nightmare.Can I add water to clay to make it better digging?We usually see red hard clay around here.....I get highly negative just thinking about it...

::chugs beer::

PurpHaze
10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Can I add water to clay to make it better digging?We usually see red hard clay around here.....I get highly negative just thinking about it...

If you add water to clay you very well may end up with pig slop. By it's very nature clay retains water very well and is why it's prone to runoff if water is applied too fast yet holds moisture very well when water is applied at a good rate. We actually often wait for clay areas to dry before attempting repairs because it's such a mess when wet.

EagleLandscape
10-16-2007, 10:44 AM
If you add water to clay you very well may end up with pig slop. By it's very nature clay retains water very well and is why it's prone to runoff if water is applied too fast yet holds moisture very well when water is applied at a good rate. We actually often wait for clay areas to dry before attempting repairs because it's such a mess when wet.

DITTO! There's nothing fun about having a job take 3x as long, and making a giant mess beyond repair when dealing with sloppy mud.