PDA

View Full Version : Lawn sweeper - wheels not turning

goodgreen
10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Just wanted to put this out - just bought a used Craftsman lawn sweeper to help with fall cleanup and larger leaf jobs. Seems to have a problem at times with the wheels getting stuck and not turning. If I don't watch it, it will dig up grass and soil. Is it a height adjustment or maybe larger sticks getting lodged in it? I can't quite figure out what is causing the problem... Anyone had experience? It's a good unit in excellent condition. Just this wheel problem.

Juan_Deere
10-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I have had that happen when viney, stringy weeds get caught in the sweeper assembly. Also, a couple of times I dropped the dump rope and it got twisted in the sweeper with the same affect. I recommend cleaning the sweeper after every use. Not the normal cleaning, I mean taking some cutters or a knife to the stuff that had wrapped itself around the axles. You might also have to take the gearbox apart, clean it, and regrease it.

Dunn's
10-13-2007, 05:40 PM
it is a crapsman. What do you expect.

Juan_Deere
10-13-2007, 06:06 PM
it is a crapsman. What do you expect.

That isn't always true. After quite a bit of looking around and researching, I found out the Craftsman one I bought was the same one that used to be made for John Deere. Not just the same company, the exact same unit. John Deere decided to stop selling them, so Sears sells them now. I'm not talking about the ones that Home Depot sells either. Those are made by the same companies that make the ones HD and Lowe's usually sells. The black ones that are sold as AGRI-FAB and something else, I think they are.

Thing about it is. I have found very little need for my unit. I just mow the lawns with the leaves on them. The leaves get demolished by the mowing blades.

Dunn's
10-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't use deere either at one time they where a good company but that was a long time ago.

Richard Martin
10-14-2007, 04:57 AM
The brushes are too low. You need to raise the sweeper up a little. It happens on mine occassionally too.

deere615
10-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a craftsman 42 inch lawn sweeper and it does that raising it up does help some but it still does it once in a while, I am curious if anyone else has any solutions.

deere615
10-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I have had that happen when viney, stringy weeds get caught in the sweeper assembly. Also, a couple of times I dropped the dump rope and it got twisted in the sweeper with the same affect. I recommend cleaning the sweeper after every use. Not the normal cleaning, I mean taking some cutters or a knife to the stuff that had wrapped itself around the axles. You might also have to take the gearbox apart, clean it, and regrease it.

I have had the exact same problems, I think I will try greasing the gear box like you said.