PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Pipe Pond

Construct'O
10-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Land owner needed crossing ,but also wanted (pond)water.With pipe!

One machine did the job from start to finish.Cleared trees,removed old rusted out pipe,moved dirt,replaced with new 24" dual wall pipe(60 ft.) fill was about 12 ft. to top of crossing(pond) in the center of the crossing,tappering out to about 3 ft. on the ends.

Not quite 200 ft. long.From toe of pipe,back slope to bottom of front slope fill was about 80ft. wide(again at the very center.)

Had to deal with small area,mud, and saving of trees ! except the ones that need removed for the fill and pond area.I graded for the pipe.Since this was down on the bottom and no place to need extra dirt it was used only in the crossing..... wasted dirt.

Made a nice two lane crossing just in case the deer hunters need to pass !!!!!!!!

For you none believers you don't have to have????? it can be done with just one machine:usflag:

MOREDIRT
10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
what is the point? did you do something special? are you wanting a cookie?

P.Services
10-13-2007, 10:25 PM
with what machine

RockSet N' Grade
10-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Constructo.......nice...I also see someone wants your address to send you some cookies :) Most generous of you MD.

MOREDIRT
10-13-2007, 10:39 PM
wow you dug a pond :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
excavation 101 :hammerhead:

Construct'O
10-13-2007, 10:50 PM
wow you dug a pond :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

First off if you have a problem with the above maybe you need to have it checked by your doctor.:dancing:

Second if you don't understand the point ,or something constructive to say!!!!!!! don't waste time posting!!!!

And last i perfer Snicker candybars.Have a good day:walking:

MOREDIRT
10-13-2007, 10:57 PM
We could all post endless pics of jobs we did what is so special about this one?

RockSet N' Grade
10-13-2007, 11:06 PM
MD....if that is a serious question.......here's a recap. On another post, there was discussion as to the best combo to use to dig a tank/pond and different strategy's and methods for getting it done. We were all giving this young kid who was thinking of doing the job ( his first job of any size I believe) all sorts of ways to skin that cat. Constructo just did this project and posted it, showing what could be done with just one machine........That's it in a nutshell. Hope that wasn't too much diarrhea of the fingertips.......

MOREDIRT
10-13-2007, 11:12 PM
well i am at loss for words :hammerhead: I did not read previous post like all the other hundred people who read this so lawnsite is not your own personal chat forum this goes out to the world so elaborate a little so us dummies can understand.

dozerman21
10-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Another thread or not, he was showing different ways to tackle a project. It doesn't matter if it had been discussed earlier. Everyone on here can learn something.

Why the fuss? You sound like somebody took a leak in your Cheerios?

Fieldman12
10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I dont understand why you guys are shooting him down. I love seeing all the excavating jobs I can. Second not just everyone can build a pond. There is more that goes into it besides just digging a hole. Construct'O keep up the excellent work and love seeing pics of your big Cat dozer. I was reading on HEF that some was giving you a hard time about using a bulldozer to push a tree out. I just wonder how many of them had ever operated a dozer let alone own one. Any day you can do all the work with one machine in my opinion is a good day. :)

Fieldman12
10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
I should say not everyone in this post was shooting him down. Don't want to make anyone mad that was not shooting him down. I just don't like when people put down someones work for no reason. We are all here to learn from each other.

Dirt Digger2
10-14-2007, 02:48 AM
hell i love to see pictures of jobs...its a learning thing for all on here whether you care to admit it or not...i post pictures of my small jobs, because yes, though they may be small there is some guy out there that is wondering how to do it...

Scag48
10-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Gotta be a dozer just because of the single grouser pads, you gave yourself away. Haha. You have a 6R, right?

AWJ Services
10-14-2007, 11:23 AM
The only part of this post that irritates me is that wonderful dirt in those pictures.

Looks great.

I personally would rather have one machine for the job then 2 different ones.

Construct'O
10-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Sorry about all the stink guys!!!!!!

Just thought it went along with the post about what to use to build a pond posted earlier.

The point after a nights sleep was that using dozers is another way of doing a job.Not on every job for sure.Just feel a lot of young people miss the boat or out on the option of what a dozer can do from start to finish ,if you really try.

There is more to it then just excavating dirt to me.First it was a crossing mainly and the guy wanted a little water,so just thought raise the pipe, and use it as a dual purpose.

Basicly more like a water hole then pond because of it's size.No it wasn't a major project.But you do have to use your skills.Have to figure the size pipe needed,the length because of the slopes and the how wide your wanted the top.

Check elevations to make sure the pipe is at full capacity before it goes out the spillway.Grade for the elevation on the pipe and getting a nice angle down the pipe.

So yeah i thought it would be helpful to some.Guess i'll leave it at that.An yes dirt is bettter then rocks for sure.Again Sorry!

Fieldman12
10-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Construct'O I have run a dozer, track loader and backhoe some. I can appreciate the work that you have done. Most on here probably do not realize unless they have run one it is not near as easy as it seems. Running a dozer is an art that takes lots of practice to make the machine do what you want. I might add by the way its probably my favorite machine to run. :)

RockSet N' Grade
10-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I too appreciate an excellent dozer operator. The only thing I really excel at with a dozer is pushing over houses and turning them into tooth picks. I've always thought it would be interesting to take a D9 or larger into an area to be demolished and just turn it loose and watch it go until it ran out of fuel. One of my horsemanship mentors, Tom Dorrance, was one of the best bulldozer operators of all time and he said that running a dozer had alot of similarities to riding a horse. It is not just mechanical skills, but relies more on feel, timing and balance.........that has always stuck with me. Thanks for the "old school" Constructo.

Fieldman12
10-14-2007, 04:40 PM
RockSet N' Grade, you are correct about running a dozer is all about feel and being able to see the completed project in your head and making it.

SiteSolutions
10-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I would like to see more pics. Maybe one of the machine.

Looks good.

I just ran a dozer for about five minutes Friday morning. Neat machines but like anything else, requires experience to be able to do anything with em. About the only thing I can do with them is build a stockpile, push fill dirt off the edge, or make a piece of ground resemble a record that's been left in the sun.

SiteSolutions
10-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I've always thought it would be interesting to take a D9 or larger into an area to be demolished and just turn it loose and watch it go until it ran out of fuel.

Have you seen the "Killdozer" videos on youtube? Not the old B movie but the guy that went nuts in Colorado and bulldozed a bunch of businesses that had screwed him using a heavily armored Komatsu 365?

SiteSolutions
10-14-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA

Fieldman12
10-14-2007, 05:05 PM
I have seen it.

RockSet N' Grade
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
SiteSolutions.....thanks, never seen it.......watched it twice. I feel some stress relief :)

dozerman21
10-14-2007, 08:51 PM
It's like this guy in San Diego that stole the tank. If these guys hadn't gotten hung up, hard telling how long the would have gone... probably until they ran out of fuel.

Here's the tank video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vESIVemfG8&mode=related&search=police%20omfg%20omg%20car%20race%20chaise%20tank%20killer

dozerman21
10-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Here's a different video of the dozer rage with the operator/builder telling his story the day he did it. Pretty crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcB1_EogXc

RockSet N' Grade
10-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I watched it and listened to the audio this time.......the guy was a little off center for sure.

SiteSolutions
10-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I wasted a whole night of my life on that dozer guy one night, watching videos and looking up his story. Seems like the local good old boys put his muffler shop out of business, then fined him for all sorts of BS and generally tried to run him off. Guess he got even, but it's too bad it had to be like that.

That's one tough dozer, tho. I guess you'd call that a FOPS? (Fired Object Protective Structure)

Construct'O
10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
It's amazing how fast things can change over night!!!!! For you guys where it is dry there is still hope.This is one reason you want to get your job done fast and out of there.

For me dust in the cab right now isn't a big problem.Sometimes even rocks or rocky ground looks inviting!:rolleyes:

Just so you know what i'm talking about, here is why!

Now where's those cookies:) :usflag:

Fieldman12
10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Man that looks like it turned out very well. Nice to see it's already doing it's job.

dozerman21
10-17-2007, 09:29 PM
It's amazing how fast things can change over night!!!!! For you guys where it is dry there is still hope.This is one reason you want to get your job done fast and out of there.

For me dust in the cab right now isn't a big problem.Sometimes even rocks or rocky ground looks inviting!:rolleyes:

Just so you know what i'm talking about, here is why!

Now where's those cookies:) :usflag:

Are your only choices thin mints and tag-a-longs?:laugh:

Looks good Construct'O! That guy has a nice little fishin' hole now.

We're getting ready to get hammered with the same storm tonight. I always know it's going to be a heavy rain when you post about how muddy it just got.:laugh:

The ground is so hard right now though, if it comes down too fast the majority of it will just roll off, unless you're digging a pond...:usflag: