PDA

View Full Version : LED indicator lights in transformers

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 01:04 PM
There is only one manufacturer who currently does this that I know of and folks I have to say this was a brilliant idea. You get a call from a customer that the lights are out. Direct them to a trans box and ask them to look for indicator lights. Troubleshooting over the phone. If it's power loss they reset a GFI or re-plug in the unit. if it's a low voltage issue have them re-set a breaker supposing no short or overload. Other problem then you schedule a service call. Geniuses. I'll take LED's over a service meter hands down.

NightScenes
10-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Vista did do a good job with that. I still don't use their transformers because of other reasons but the indicator lights are a good idea.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Vista did do a good job with that. I still don't use their transformers because of other reasons but the indicator lights are a good idea.

Can you share the reasons for non use?

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
There is only one manufacturer who currently does this that I know of and folks I have to say this was a brilliant idea. You get a call from a customer that the lights are out. Direct them to a trans box and ask them to look for indicator lights. Troubleshooting over the phone. If it's power loss they reset a GFI or re-plug in the unit. if it's a low voltage issue have them re-set a breaker supposing no short or overload. Other problem then you schedule a service call. Geniuses. I'll take LED's over a service meter hands down.

Pete, I agree about the LED's. But what's the story behind that silly rubber glide they have in the bottom plate of the trans? It's a vestige (not necessary) as far as I'm concerned.

NightScenes
10-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I am just very happy with the MDL Kichler units that I have been using. I do use some of the Vista fixtures in my designs and like their products. They are also members of the AOLP which is very important to me.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
There is much good to say for loyalty.

YardPro
10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Pete, I agree about the LED's. But what's the story behind that silly rubber glide they have in the bottom plate of the trans? It's a vestige (not necessary) as far as I'm concerned.

i just got back from the plant. i was wondering the same thing.

the rubber piece is so you can take it out, run all your wire up through it, then cut a slot in the rubber, slide it back in and fit the wires in the slot. this secures the wire. also you can leave the rubber out and temporarily wire the runs, to check voltages, etc. you can still shut the door and have an easy way to hook up the wires.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
i just got back from the plant. i was wondering the same thing.

the rubber piece is so you can take it out, run all your wire up through it, then cut a slot in the rubber, slide it back in and fit the wires in the slot. this secures the wire. also you can leave the rubber out and temporarily wire the runs, to check voltages, etc. you can still shut the door and have an easy way to hook up the wires.

I would think it's a terrible way to secure wiring. Who isn't putting their wiring into conduit from the transformer to the ground anyway. Why encourage corner cutting and un professionalism with that rubber pc.