PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Idea???

cat2
10-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Would it be stupid to lift up the cab on the bobcat and were ever a hose is rubbing on something, to take some black duck tape and rap the hose up in it just were it is rubbing? That way you wouldn't have to worry about a hose rubbing threw and leaking in the middle of a job.

dozerman21
10-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Don't use tape... get some rubber hose and cut open down the middle. Wrap it around the hose that is chaffing, and fasten with a zip tie.

cat2
10-14-2007, 03:07 PM
OK thanks:) Garden hose would work too. Wouldn't it

carcrz
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Probably. I just take a hose that is either the same size or a hair bigger & put a slit in it. Then take some cable ties or electrical tape to hold it in place.

TonyG
10-14-2007, 05:35 PM
just don't use a garden hose, it'll wear through too fast.
Try a heavy duty Goodyear Gorilla hose or something along those lines.

TonyG
10-14-2007, 05:42 PM
this is not a stupid idea...it's preventive maintenance!

Mike33
10-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Let me guess bobcat 185 main hyd line? If so we broke one due to some jackass at factory mounted it against something 700 hours it broke what a mess. WE took an old radiator hose and put over like a sleeve to prevent it again. Btw when this hose brakes its instant 5-10 gal. hyd fluid everywhere. Fix it now or later.
mike

cat2
10-14-2007, 08:03 PM
OK thanks alot guys. The next time I get time and don't have anything to do. I will do this. I just didn't know if this was stupid or not. Thanks again:)

RockSet N' Grade
10-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Stupid..not even! Check your fuel lines and see if they are rubbing. In fact, check all your lines and do it to all of them. Check your wiring too and make sure they are not rubbing or in the way......those zip ties are awesome. I have done that all the way through my excavator and all the way through my brand new skid. That is just forward thinking.

cat2
10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Let me guess bobcat 185 main hyd line? If so we broke one due to some jackass at factory mounted it against something 700 hours it broke what a mess. WE took an old radiator hose and put over like a sleeve to prevent it again. Btw when this hose brakes its instant 5-10 gal. hyd fluid everywhere. Fix it now or later.
mike

NO not an 185. Its an 160. I know if those lines break they are one heck of a mess. had a line break on my old 753. Don't have that anymore. man talk about a machine. Best machine ever made

cat2
10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Stupid..not even! Check your fuel lines and see if they are rubbing. In fact, check all your lines and do it to all of them. Check your wiring too and make sure they are not rubbing or in the way......those zip ties are awesome. I have done that all the way through my excavator and all the way through my brand new skid. That is just forward thinking.

Thanks, I will check ALL of the lines and wires. For the wires, what should I use? The black electrical tape? I'm going to spend some time and go threw this machine and check every line, fuel lines,wires everything. The machine isn't even a year old, but I hate things rubbing and breaking

dozerman21
10-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I've got 'em all over my dozer. I also have them going around some of the electrical lines that are bunched together... or I at least have a zip tie pulling it away from a sharp edge. I wish Case would do a better job of wrapping more hoses in abrasion sleeves and protecting lines from chaffing. Maybe the newer equipment is better, but it's been a common minor problem on our equipment.

Cat2- I wouldn't use a standard garden hose. I go to NAPA and buy several feet of the red 5/8 heavy heater hose. It will last longer. Just cut it a few inches long, slice it down the middle (watch your fingers if you use a razor blade... trust me:hammerhead: ), wrap around the hose so the protective piece absorbs the rubbing, and zip tie and cut off the excess from the tie. Voila! Brand new machine!:cool2:

cat2
10-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I've got 'em all over my dozer. I also have them going around some of the electrical lines that are bunched together... or I at least have a zip tie pulling it away from a sharp edge. I wish Case would do a better job of wrapping more hoses in abrasion sleeves and protecting lines from chaffing. Maybe the newer equipment is better, but it's been a common minor problem on our equipment.

Cat2- I wouldn't use a standard garden hose. I go to NAPA and buy several feet of the red 5/8 heavy heater hose. It will last longer. Just cut it a few inches long, slice it down the middle (watch your fingers if you use a razor blade... trust me:hammerhead: ), wrap around the hose so the protective piece absorbs the rubbing, and zip tie and cut off the excess from the tie. Voila! Brand new machine!:cool2:

OK thanks guys. Next time I'm in town I will pick up the heavy heater hose.

RockSet N' Grade
10-14-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't like electrical tape for that application at all. Zip ties only for me. When your machine generates heat in these areas, the tape has a tendency to get HOT and lose its adhesion........the ends come loose and start flapping around and turn into a possible hazard. Zip ties are a positive lock system and do not rely on adhesives. Use garden hose if you like to do things twice, it is not good at all for this application. What dozerman said about the red heater hose is spot on......Oh yea, and I have cut myself in this process too.....so what I do now is put a length in the vise and cut/move the piece until it is sliced all the way length wise, then cut pieces off the long pre-cut unit as needed.

cat2
10-14-2007, 09:21 PM
No No. No garden hose for me. Time to get some zip ties and some 5/8 inch red heavy heater hose. If there are some wires rubbing some where I'll put them in some hose too.

Fieldman12
10-15-2007, 07:51 PM
What Dozerman21 and what RockSet N' grade says works best for me. I do it on just about every piece of equipment.

Fatboy
10-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't like electrical tape for that application at all. Zip ties only for me. When your machine generates heat in these areas, the tape has a tendency to get HOT and lose its adhesion........the ends come loose and start flapping around and turn into a possible hazard. Zip ties are a positive lock system and do not rely on adhesives.

I learned a secret years ago about how to keep tape from coming undone. After taping up your wires twist the last several inches of tape to form a string then tie several half hitches around the wires to secure the tape. That way it doesn't come loose, ever.

Also, use plastic wireloom to protect the wires and cover it with the tape.

Fatboy

cat2
10-30-2007, 09:38 PM
There I got all the lines and wires gone threw and checked. Took about one and a half hours. Next time I raise the cab up I will just look and see if i missed anything, but I don't think I did:)

TXTom
11-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Cat2-

I need to do this on my 300hr S185. How much hose did you end up using? Were there any lines you had to really did down to find?

Thanks,
Tom

cat2
11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I got 5 feet, Didn't use it all. The lines were easy to fine.