PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk AOLP conference

Pages : [1] 2

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
There was some talk about it buried in unrelated threads regarding the 2008 superconference. I think it deserves it's own heading. How about posting the dates and agenda. Majors that are scheduled to attend, speakers of interest and any other info that would entice others to join in the festivities.

NightScenes
10-14-2007, 04:49 PM
The 2008 AOLP conference will be January 24-26 in Scottsdale Arizona. The final schedule is being made as we speak. The focus of this years conference will be design. The AOLP will unveil it's new design certification program at this conference. To bring this together we have presentations from Janet Lenox Moyer (keynote speaker), Naomi Miller, Nate Mullen and Tom Williams.

We will also have a night time photography presentation by George Gruel, Janet Moyer's photographer and husband.

The expo will (as usual) be great. See the newest and best in low voltage lighting from some of the best manufactures in the world including Kichler, Vista, Hadco, Hunza, etc.

There will also be the welcome party, awards banquet and the comedy night where we go to the Improve for a great time.

These are just a few things to look forward to. There are many, many, many things going on and I will go into more of it as we go along in this forum.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Excellent report Nightscapes. Can you tell use a little about Naomi Miller. The name is unfamiliar.

Firefly Lighting
10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Pete- Naomi is one of the formost presenters in the country on lighting design. She does alot of interior stuff but also exterior design. She is held in high regard with the lighting industry.

She will be doing two sessions at conference. One of which is part of the Design Accred. Program which myself, tom williams, nels peterson, and mark carlson haved developed.

NightScenes
10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Check out her website. www.nmlightingdesign.com . She specializes in interior lighting design but is very well known in the lighting design community.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 09:22 PM
awesome thanks. sounds like some heavy hitters will be presenting.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Tom Williams is also a name I don't recognize. Any info on him?

Chris J
10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.wlld.us/book_reviews/index.shtml

Chris J
10-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Check out her website. www.nmlightingdesign.com . She specializes in interior lighting design but is very well known in the lighting design community.

Quick review of her website shows no affiliation/membership with the AOLP? Again with the black hat, but what's up with that? AOLP not good enough for her to be associated with? Her credentials are impressive, however.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-15-2007, 07:47 AM
lets talk Lawn site regulars night out in Scottsdale

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Right after the bohemian steak house!! You know what I mean?

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I havent been out there in a few years. Do you have the name of that hotel they have it at? And is there a schedule yet? I guess we'll come in the night of the 23rd and leave on the 27th? Or is it okay to come inthe 24th? I'd assume the meeting is the evening of the 26th?

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
The final schedule is being made now. The conference will be held at the Chaparral Suites Resort in Scottsdale. www.chaparralsuites.com

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I just sent off my membership application to the AOLP. If they will have me, I will see you all in Arizona this January.

JoeyD
10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Alright James!!! See you in January!!!!

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 10:07 PM
I just sent off my membership application to the AOLP. If they will have me, I will see you all in Arizona this January.

Are you sure Bill Locklin will approve? Better check first. Wouldn't want the gold plated soleckilighter to be changed to the Petelighter would ya?

Chris J
10-15-2007, 10:32 PM
How is it that a guy from Long Island would know about the relationship of Bill Locklin and the LVLIA/AOLP? Not too many people are aware of this unless they are or WERE involved with the organization at some point in the past? Perhaps you were a big proponent of Nightscaping in the past?

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 11:01 PM
How is it that a guy from Long Island would know about the relationship of Bill Locklin and the LVLIA/AOLP? Not too many people are aware of this unless they are or WERE involved with the organization at some point in the past? Perhaps you were a big proponent of Nightscaping in the past?

Perhaps all he mentions in 90% of his posts is Nightscaping lieutenant Columbo. Is it a secret too that Unique and Nightscaping aren't exactly friendly? Me and Locklin invented low voltage and don't forget it. Gore invented the internet. That's my story and I'm stickin too it. Feets do your stuff......................

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 11:04 PM

Tha't great James. I can't wait to meet you there.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Yes I do mention Nightscaping quite a bit here. I figure someone has to bring their products to this forum.

Beyond my relationship with the company, I am proud to call Bill Locklin a close and dear personal friend. His experience and knowledge are a gift that simple words do not do justice. His loyalty and friendship is priceless, and his establishment of, and effect on this industry is legendary.

For those who didn't know, he was the innovator and founder of the LVLIA/AOLP.

Have a great day.

Landscape Illuminating
10-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Tha't great James. I can't wait to meet you there.

Speaking of which, when are they going to get with the times and make use of an online application? Why do they continue to use snail mail and fax as the only means of applying? I must admit that I've clicked on the membership icon at least twice and just stopped there after being reminded that this is the method used. I know, I know....lame excuse but still.

-LI

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Yes I do mention Nightscaping quite a bit here. I figure someone has to bring their products to this forum.

Beyond my relationship with the company, I am proud to call Bill Locklin a close and dear personal friend. His experience and knowledge are a gift that simple words do not do justice. His loyalty and friendship is priceless, and his establishment of, and effect on this industry is legendary.

For those who didn't know, he was the innovator and founder of the LVLIA/AOLP.

Have a great day.

Not challenging your assertion just asking why is there no mention of him on the website?

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Speaking of which, when are they going to get with the times and make use of an online application? Why do they continue to use snail mail and fax as the only means of applying? I must admit that I've clicked on the membership icon at least twice and just stopped there after being reminded that this is the method used. I know, I know....lame excuse but still.

-LI

This is being worked on with the new website that is being developed.

pete scalia
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
This is being worked on with the new website that is being developed.

Will Locklin's name and image make it to the new website development too?

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-16-2007, 07:35 AM
James...I am blown away by your reciprocal loyalty to Nightscaping...That's awesome!!! There are not many people like that anymore these days...I hope to meet you at AOLP...were you an original member as well right along with the fellow Canadian Sandy Illiopolis?

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
How the hell is Sandy anyway??? I was in Montreal a couple of weeks ago and didn't have time to look him up.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-16-2007, 08:28 AM
We don't talk much when he's in lighting season...orders come through...he's insanely busy and works like he parties you know...we talk after Halloween...we do the kichler trip and then talk after all his snow skiing trips in the spring...he seems okay, just such a short season, so he goes nuts...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-16-2007, 09:38 AM
I am wondering why the AOLP keeps picking Scottsdale Arizona as their conference location? It is certainly not the easiest or cheapest destination to get to (from here)

I was looking at the "resort" that is hosting the conference.... seems like it is smack dab in the middle of urbania there... Not very appealing to spend almost a $1000 flying (8.5 hours with transfers) to arrive there! And then have the pleasure of dropping $220 per night for a rather drab looking hotel. Surely there must be some more captivating locations that the AOLP could use.

I might re-consider my attendance at this event based solely on the trouble and expense to get to it, and the quality of the accomodations once there. Lets see... $900 flights, $1000 hotel, probably a few hundred for registrations and fees, Plus meals and entertainment... so $4000K??? for 4 days? I would rather go to the Sandals Grande St. Lucian and stay in a Conceirge suite for $800 per night!

I am not trying to bust the AOLP's chops here, I know how hard it is to work in a volunteer capacity and keep everyone happy... But surely Scottsdale is not the only place on earth for this conference.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I like Scottsdale but I would like to see them mix it up a bit as well. There are so many other places out there!!

sprinkler guy
10-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I like Scottsdale but I would like to see them mix it up a bit as well. There are so many other places out there!!

Like San Diego? How great would that be!

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 11:50 AM
The AOLP uses this facility mostly for cost, the facilities for testing and convenience. The association does not currently have enough members to justify the expense of moving the conference. After checking several locations, it would cost the association at least double to move the conference which would make it a money loosing proposition. This would not be fair to the membership. We have locked in this location for the next three years in hopes that at that point we will have enough members to start moving it again. I, myself wouldn't mind visiting some other areas.

This conference has been held in other locations in the past, just so you know.

As for the room rates, they are less than the published rates on the web site. The suites are about $170 (I think) for this conference. I know it's not cheap, but it beats $220 and that is high season for Arizona.

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 11:55 AM
And really the rooms at the Chapparal Suites are not bad. They are older but very nice!! Personally I love Scottsdale, AZ but I just like seeing new places. I just cant wait! It is going to be a ton of fun. Everyone on this forum should join the AOLP to find out for yourself!!!

jana
10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I agree with the online form and different locations for the meeting.

Anyone really know why sitelights from lowvolt.org is against AOLP so much?

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
What isnt he against?

jana
10-16-2007, 12:53 PM
lol, yea, :rolleyes: he/she seems pretty miserable and disgruntled to me. I have not been there in a while for this reason.

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I only participated for a few months in 06. I was turned off for a few different reasons but mainly it was becuase of lack of participation.

Eden Lights
10-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Easy now. If you want to talk about Mr. Joe, you need to take it up with him. This is not the place and serves no purpose. Mr. Joe has truly been there and done that. He one of the few that gives unbiased opinions.

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Eddie, I wouldn't say that Joe gives unbiased opinions. I do participate in his forum and have for a long time. I have even defended him on this and other sites but I would not say that he is unbiased.

I'm just being unbiased.

jana
10-16-2007, 03:41 PM
"Easy now. If you want to talk about Mr. Joe, you need to take it up with him. This is not the place and serves no purpose. Mr. Joe has truly been there and done that. He one of the few that gives unbiased opinions."

I gave my opinion of that forum and moderator. I read quite a few of his replies to posters in which he personally attacked the poster because he disagreed with there opinion. And funny now since the new forum format has changed, those threads are gone. So no easy.

Eden Lights
10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Eddie, I wouldn't say that Joe gives unbiased opinions. I do participate in his forum and have for a long time. I have even defended him on this and other sites but I would not say that he is unbiased.

I'm just being unbiased.

The only thing I can think of would be his work with UL1838, so maybe one thing. Maybe you know of something else? I guess we all have bias? My comment is more toward formal affiliations to someone usual caused by compensation in some form. I will admit that the definition of being biased is not black and white like it is in Pars vs. Mrs debate, it is much more of a gray area.

Eden Lights
10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
If you have problems with a brother you should take it up him. I think I read that somewhere?

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I agree Eddie. 'nough said.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I made my flights, $499 direct flights and the rooms are $179/night so not that bad...they are old though...but jeez the women of Scottsdale...wow...wow...wow...

Chris J
10-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Have you guys received a registration packet for the conference? I haven't seen one yet. I'm I supposed to be waiting on one, or should I get it off the website.

eskerlite
10-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Take a gamble and join us and travel to the conference. Dont believe what you hear. Expieriance it for yourself. I will answer all the reasons for having it in AZ. at the conference. There are many. For years we have looked into other locations. We have been to Key West and it was very tough and expensive to attend. Certification stores all of our equiptment in AZ. We cetrify 20 Contractors 3 days before the Conference and have to set up.
When you see the included buffet breakfast and free drinks from 5:30pm - 7:30 pm, the cost is very resonable. When you are networking with fellow Contractors, you are only getting sleep in your room. The rooms are big suites and clean.
The membership is $175.00. One light fixture to most of us. Take the gamble and I will you see all of you serious Lighting professionals there.
James, if you search older post you will find all of your fellow nightscapers here and all questions about AOLP/LVLIA.
Sean Curran
Past President AOLP:usflag:
"Dont wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself."
Sara Henderson

eskerlite
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Just booked my flight for AOLP Conference from Manchester ,NH to phoenix AZ. Southwest airlines. $277 non stop. Cant beat it. If you want to go, You have to make it happen.
Sean C.:walking:

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 04:56 PM
See ya in AZ Sean!!!

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I went ahead and booked the flights for me and jr. We're all set. Only $338 round trip per person on Southwest.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Ahh all you lucky people with your competitive airlines! I have worked it out several ways and the cheapest / most direct will cost me $875 in flights and require one connection. To fly direct is over $1100!
Then of course I guess I will need a car while there.... $200
Then the room.... $720
The the registration fee... $175
Then some meals.... $200
Drinks of course.... $300
Sundry Expenses.... $200

So what is $2670 between acquaintences? Now double it.... because I have sworn an oath to my beloved that I will not do business travel without her ever again. ( I once did 4 days in Vegas at Light Fair alone... most boring time of my life!!)

So you can see why I am still sitting on the fence as far as the conference goes.... now if it were in Vegas, or LA... it would be sooooo much cheaper and easier to get to.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Ahh all you lucky people with your competitive airlines! I have worked it out several ways and the cheapest / most direct will cost me $875 in flights and require one connection. To fly direct is over $1100!
Then the room.... $720
Then some meals.... $200
Sundry Expenses.... $200

So what is $2670 between acquaintences? Now double it.... because I have sworn an oath to my beloved that I will not do business travel without her ever again. ( I once did 4 days in Vegas at Light Fair alone... most boring time of my life!!)

So you can see why I am still sitting on the fence as far as the conference goes.... now if it were in Vegas, or LA... it would be sooooo much cheaper and easier to get to.

Have a great day.

Drinks will be covered most of the time, just hang out with Unique!! LOL

Transportation? Just a cab ride to and from the airport...not that bad.....

Meals are pretty much covered. Kichler sponsors a dinenr and we will sponsor a night time event that will include dinner as well.

I dont know what sundry is but just throw that out, you dont need it.....LOL

That will save you some money!!!!!

Bite the bullet and get out there James. We would all love to meet you!!

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Car? Take a cab. You don't have to double it unless you don't want your bride to be in the same room as you. Free drinks from 5:30-7pm every night so we just saved you some more cash.

Firefly Lighting
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Got my flight but I am making a pit stop for some skiing first!

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 08:22 PM
It's events like AOLP that seperate the players from the posers. You hear all the lame and rediculous excuses why one can't attend but it's all usually only for one reason and one reason only. Affordability. Most talk a good game but they just simply can't afford the trip.
Me, I'd go but I gotta pick my Grandma up at JFK. She's visiting from Italy at that time so darnitt that counts me out. But I'd be there if it wasn't for Grandma's visit. Honest I would.

Chris J
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Have you guys received a registration packet for the conference? I haven't seen one yet. I'm I supposed to be waiting on one, or should I get it off the website.

Am I being ignored about this? I asked the same question on the AOLP website and got the same response. Something up that I need to know about?

klkanders
10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I have worked it out several ways and the cheapest / most direct will cost me $875 in flights and require one connection. To fly direct is over $1100!
Then the room.... $720
Then some meals.... $200
Sundry Expenses.... $200

So what is $2670 between acquaintences?

Getting to spend time with Paul, Joey and everyone..........priceless!

Sounds fun I am still seriously considering all this!

NightLightingFX
10-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey,
Is anyone bringing their significant other to the AOLP conference? My wife isn't involved with my lighting business at all, but she is excited to relax in AZ. There is the big Fashon Square mall near by and a lot of art galleries near by I think she will be content. I am curious to know if anyone elses significant other who isn't involved in lighting will be tagging along?
~Ned

Chris J
10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I was talking about this to my wife just last night. I believe she will be coming with me on this one, but first I've got to find out if I'm even invited or not! No body seems to want to answer my question about the registration packet!

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I am waiting on mine too Chris. I dont think they are finished quite yet. I think Michele said a few more weeks when I had talked to her last week.

NightLightingFX
10-16-2007, 09:47 PM
I talked to Michelle yesterday about this. They haven't sent out any registration info yet. It should be coming soon. I am sure Paul probably knows what is going on.
~Ned

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Early bird gets the worm

Chris J
10-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Ned, I went to bed early after my last post last night, so I didn't see your post. Thanks for the reply. Looks like there was some more deleted posts here last night after I left. Did someone get out of line again after I left?

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Chris, the world is not out to get you, no matter what you think.

Ok, as I said earlier in the thread, the final schedule is being set. Unlike other years, people will have to pick which sessions they will want to attend in advance because there will be more than one presentation happening at the same time. The packages should be ready soon. I don't even have mine yet!

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
doe anyone know when the registration packets are coming...lol

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 09:24 AM
:gunsfirin Doug. LOL

Chris J
10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
OK, let me see.... That's two more to add to my S#!^ list.... I'm running out of paper! :usflag:

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-17-2007, 04:45 PM
aw man I did it now!!! It took me 5 years to even get Chris to talk to me, we finally got the point where I got to drink beer with him and now I blew it...Corona Chris?

Firefly Lighting
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Am I being ignored about this? I asked the same question on the AOLP website and got the same response. Something up that I need to know about?

Chris- No, you are not being ignored. We are currently working on getting them out asap. The schedule is finalized and now we just have to make the last adjustments on paper. Our ED has had family ill but is working on getting it done.

Thanks

Chris J
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Chris- No, you are not being ignored. We are currently working on getting them out asap. The schedule is finalized and now we just have to make the last adjustments on paper. Our ED has had family ill but is working on getting it done.

Thanks

Matt,
No rush, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss the boat. Hope all is well with Michelle's family. Give her our best wishes.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Ok I need to know what is up with lowvolt.org Over the past couple of years I have tried 3 or 4 times to 'sign up' on that forum. I have never been sucessful! I receive no confirmation or correspondence as to why I have not been accepted there.

I don't know the moderator at all, never even heard of him to be honest, but it would appear he isn't interested in my contributions or opinions.

Anyone have any idea what is up with that?

Have a great day.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't understand this at all because Joe will usually accept all challengers. Maybe you should contact him directly to find out what's up?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Good news! Thanks to some advice from my Brother-In-Law ( a Rain Bird Contractor Support Specialist who travels to Tucson a lot) I have found reasonably priced flights to Pheonix out of Buffalo.

For less then $300 I can make the trip.... this might just change everything.... Anyone know if Scottsdale has plenty of Crown Royal on hand? :)

As long as we can arrange a babysitter for a few days, I will be bringing the Mrs. along for the fun & sun.

Have a great day.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I'll make you a deal James; if you come, I'll provide you and your Mrs. with all the Crown you can drink! Maybe your wife and mine can keep each other company while we are doing the seminar things? There are lots of shopping and site-seeing places to visit, so I'll bet they will have a wonderful time. Do your best to be there. We will have a blast!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Chris, you have yourself a deal my friend. But I am afraid you don't quite know what you have got yourself into!

I will have to see if I can get my friend Sandy I. from Montreal and Jeff Oldham from Aurora along for the trip... I assume you would pass along your generous offer to all of us Canadian guys right Chris? (Last time the 3 of us were in Palm Spings... well lets just say there wasn't much Crown around town by the time we left.

Have a great day.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Dear James, I know one of your friends well (Sandy) and he is a great friend. We have spent many nights together on remote island resorts, and he and his wife are truly remarkable people. Should you decide to partake in my offer, I will gladly oblige. I'll see you there!

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 10:50 PM
That's great James!! I look forward to seeing you there, but I think you might have a time talking Sandy into it. I sure wish he would come along though.

niteliters
10-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Just booked my flight for AOLP Conference from Manchester ,NH to phoenix AZ. Southwest airlines. $277 non stop. Cant beat it. If you want to go, You have to make it happen.
Sean C.:walking:

Looking foward to seeing you Sean, a year goes by fast my friend

niteliters
10-17-2007, 11:07 PM
james, my nightscaping brother from the north, looking forward to meeting you at the conference

Chris J
10-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah Chris M. Now your gonna show up! You can split the Crown bill with me for this guy! You Nightscaping clowns are all alike. :usflag:

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Okay wait...Sandy's coming now!!! Holy crap!!! It's all over...I can see the meeting the final night now...This is getting really really ugly!!!!

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Who need speakers at this confernce...lets just do a round table!!! Look at this group that is coming together...wow!!!

Chris J
10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Sandy's coming? That's really wild. Last time I spoke to him, he had lost interest. Glad to see he's changed his mind. You are correct, this is going to be fun!

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I dont know, is he coming??? James said he's gonna talk to him...James?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I dont know, is he coming??? James said he's gonna talk to him...James?

I am making inquiries... Hopefully the lure of a strong Canadian contingent will be enough to attract him.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I emailed him...try to get him to come out...

NightScenes
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Who need speakers at this confernce...lets just do a round table!!! Look at this group that is coming together...wow!!!

The round table discussions are always one of my favorite parts of the conference.

I would like everyone to take notice of some of the professional landscape lighting designers that are planning to attend this years conference. This is one hellofa group!! Think of all of the discussions that will be going on. All of the knowledge that will be passed along from one guy in Canada to some guy in Texas, or a guy in Florida talking to someone in California. This is where most people get the most out of the conferences. It's the little discussions going on between professionals. I learn so much from this event every year that I just couldn't think of not attending.

NightLightingFX
10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I am glad to know some wives will be tagging along. My wife is looking forward to just relaxing and not doing a whole lot, but it might be nice for her to meet some other spouses in the industry. This is going to be a GREAT conference!!!
~Ned

eskerlite
10-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Sandy still owes the LVLIA for the last conference he attended.:hammerhead:

pete scalia
10-21-2007, 02:05 PM

If that's a fact then it makes you wonder about those that sing his praises. Birds of a feather flock together.:dizzy:

Lite4
10-21-2007, 06:12 PM
I just sent in my AOLP membership dues, can someone be sure to send me a registration packet for the conference when they come out.
Thanks

pete scalia
10-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I just sent in my AOLP membership dues, can someone be sure to send me a registration packet for the conference when they come out.
Thanks

Tim, Can you tell us how many attend the conference each year?
Out of those approximately how many are
contractors?
Distributors?
Manufacturers?
spouses/other?

niteliters
10-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Yeah Chris M. Now your gonna show up! You can split the Crown bill with me for this guy! You Nightscaping clowns are all alike. :usflag:

If by alike you mean superior in the design, installation of outdoor low voltage lighting, I would agree with you completely :)

Chris J
10-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Good come back Chris! :laugh:

NightScenes
10-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Tim, you will receive your welcome packet shortly (with all of the gifts that more than equal your membership dues). You will also be notified as soon as the conference registration packets are available.

I want to personally welcome you to the AOLP and also thank you for supporting this industry. I think that more and more people (contractors, distributors and manufactures) are beginning to understand that it's not just what you get from the association as far as benefits but also what will be gained in the long run as far as legislation and more wide spread issues.

Lite4
10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Great, Thanks Paul. Looking forward to the conference.

NightScenes
10-24-2007, 07:32 AM
I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Lite4
10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Paul,
How many memebers are there now in AOLP, and what is attendance usually at the conference.

Pro-Scapes
11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
well you can add 2 more to the number whatever it is. My wife and I finally joined. I guess after fishing with the president and Mr secretary it was only good for business and all :)

NightScenes
11-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm sorry I missed this post Tim, I will get that info for you. We usually have over 100 at the conference but I'll check.

Welcome aboard Billy. I know you'll like what you see on the inside.

JoeyD
11-07-2007, 02:48 PM
I just noticed the new AOLP website was up!! Looks awesome! I also noticed that it looks like even those who are not members of the AOLP are allowed to attend the conference. Is that correct Paul??? Could be cool for those who are hesitant about joining to maybe just attend the conference and check it out for themselves!

Joey D.

NightScenes
11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeee Hawwww!! We still have some things to add to the site but yes, it is up and running.

Non members are always welcome at conference but the fees are a little higher for them. It's cheaper to join than to pay the higher costs (it seems to me).

For those that have been asking about the registration forms, they are now available on the web site at www.aolponline.org .

There is so much going on this year that you will have to pick your seminars in advance.

Lite4
11-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I am still hoping to go but I am spending my dough first on the IAALL training in sunny San Diego this winter.

Pro-Scapes
11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I hear ya tim.... I will probably be on medical leave during the confrence so I doubt I will be able to attend this year. Just gotta play things by ear and might be a last minute addition.

Lite4
11-08-2007, 02:17 AM
You having some surgery Billy?

Pro-Scapes
11-08-2007, 07:41 AM
check your pm...

NightScenes
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Tim, are talking about the class at the end of November, and why would you pass up Janet Moyer, and Nate Mullen at the same location, for the same conference? It sounds like the old saying "penny wise and dollar foolish".

Eden Lights
11-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Are Miller and Williams speaking at the conference? I didn't see them on the schedule, if they are what are their topics? Who is doing the switching presentation? I didn't realize that the conference was so big that you had overlapping presentations?

Lite4
11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Paul, I am sure I will be there. I just want to get the IAALL stuff done and out of the way as well.

JoeyD
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I am still hoping to go but I am spending my dough first on the IAALL training in sunny San Diego this winter.

Tim thats awesome. Nate mentioned to me about this but I didnt know that you had confirmed to participate with IAALL.

Paul this is different then the training we were having at the end of the month.

NightScenes
11-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Eddie, yes, Naomi Miller and Tom Williams are both presenting. I believe that Naomi is doing her presentation on lighting bloopers and Tom is doing something in the design fundamentals. Doug Hill of Control Scape is the presenter for the controls seminar.

This is the first year that we have had presentations that are overlapping. It's great that we have been able to secure such an abundance of talent for this conference.

Some of the seminars are strictly for those that want to obtain the new Design Certification.

Chris J
11-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Some of the seminars are strictly for those that want to obtain the new Design Certification.

Why is this news to me? I didn't know any of these seminars were strictly for the Design cert. Where did you get this info, and how come it isn't published on the website or AOLP forum? Has it been a secret for an inside group or something?!

NightScenes
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Chris, you need to stop reading so many spy novels!! The AOLP is unavailing a new design certification at the conference!! If you sign up for the "design" seminars you will be on your way to achieving the certification. I don't know all of the details because I'm not on the committee. If you want more information, call Matt. We are having a board meeting tomorrow where I'm sure to learn more about it.

Relax man, you need a vacation!!

Chris J
11-09-2007, 01:20 PM
The AOLP is unavailing a new design certification at the conference!! If you sign up for the "design" seminars you will be on your way to achieving the certification.

It's a good thing I read these posts! There are some poor saps out there right now who are not members of this forum, but are going to be at the conference. I'm sure they are going to be a little pissed off if they didn't sign up for the design classes when they find out that these classes have something to do with the Design Certification. We have to sign up for the classes BEFORE we get there. We won't hear about the roll out of the Design certification UNTIL we are there. Does this makes sense yet?

NightScenes
11-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Chris and others, I would suggest holding off for a couple of weeks before completing the registration for the conference. The new web site is up but there are other pages that need to be added. We thought that we at least needed to get the site up and running and get the registration form out there. There will probably be a couple of changes in the schedule within the VERY near future.

We are waiting for confirmation from a couple of presenters as well, one of which is for the switching controls seminar.

We are trying to get information out as quickly as we can, but maybe we should have held off until it was all set in concrete.

I'm sure that the people who don't participate in this forum will wait until they receive their conference packets in the mail, which will have all of the information in them, before they go making their selections for the conference. The packet will have information about the design certification and such in it.

Once again, I apologize for trying to get information out too quickly. Some people wanted the registration materials right away and we were trying to please everyone. We'll be sure to not do that again.

If anyone has any other questions, I will be happy to get the answers for you.

Chris J
11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Hold off for a couple of weeks? The dead line for early registration is in 22 days (12/1/07). The fee then goes up $50 bucks. Since there are still modifications to be made to the schedule, do you think you could ask the administrators to also modify the expiration date for early registration?
And yes, this should have all been set in concrete before it was posted on the site. It wouldn't have been such an issue, but the problem results in having to pre-register for the specific classes. Otherwise, I would have just sent in the registration fee and worried about the sign-ups later.
Now, back to my Spy-Novel!

Thanks in advance,

eskerlite
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Chris, We need You on the Board of directors! Please think about it! You know more about the timeline than our Directors.
Sean C.

Chris J
11-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Sean,
The only information I have is what is printed on the registration form that I printed off the web site.

pete scalia
11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Chris, We need You on the Board of directors! Please think about it! You know more about the timeline than our Directors.
Sean C.

chris goes on the board and I'm joining as a member.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Paul, I would just be happy to have my membership application processed and confirmed. It has been three weeks since I faxed this information into the offices and I have yet to receive any confirmation of my membership.

Pro-Scapes
11-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Paul, I would just be happy to have my membership application processed and confirmed. It has been three weeks since I faxed this information into the offices and I have yet to receive any confirmation of my membership.

Thats scary... i mailed my check off a week ago. I dont feel comfy faxing my credit card numbers any more. No offence to the AOLP

NightScenes
11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry but I just got back into town and have been away for a couple of days.

James and Billy, I will look into your situations. Unfortunately, when you have an organization made up of volunteers it takes a little more time to get things done. We do have 1 paid position however and I will check with her about the membership apps.

I agree with Sean, climb aboard Chris!! The best way to get answers to questions is to get in the middle of it all and see for yourself. I'm sure you can fit it into your schedule.

pete scalia
11-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Are some implying that there has been an administrative breakdown?

eskerlite
11-11-2007, 11:07 AM
No, we are all fine. Just some humor?
Sean C.

NightScenes
11-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Just trying to lighten up a little.

pete scalia
11-11-2007, 12:48 PM
OK, then all's well that ends well.

JoeyD
11-12-2007, 01:35 PM
So we (Unique) wants to set up a Night Time Golf outing during the conference. we are trying to decide which night would be better. We are looking at doing it on Wed night or Friday night as to not conflict with the Expo/Reception on Thursday.

So in your guy's opinion which night do you think would be better. Wed or friday? This event wil be free and we will provide transportation, dinner, and drinks. As always Unique will make it a good time!!!
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Joey D.

Chris J
11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Joey,
Wednesday night is probably going to be your best bet as Friday night is the optional comedy night at the Improv. A lot of the guys usually go to this event.

Pro-Scapes
11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
So we (Unique) wants to set up a Night Time Golf outing during the conference. we are trying to decide which night would be better. We are looking at doing it on Wed night or Friday night as to not conflict with the Expo/Reception on Thursday.

So in your guy's opinion which night do you think would be better. Wed or friday? This event wil be free and we will provide transportation, dinner, and drinks. As always Unique will make it a good time!!!
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Joey D.

I cant play golf during the day let alone at night. Im quite skilled at the 19th hole and would be honored to caddy for someone :)

JoeyD
11-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Sounds good Billy! The fun thing abot night glow ball golf is that it really doesnt matter how good you are in the day! It depends on how lucky you are at night!!

JoeyD
11-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Joey,
Wednesday night is probably going to be your best bet as Friday night is the optional comedy night at the Improv. A lot of the guys usually go to this event.

Thnx Chris!

Pro-Scapes
11-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Sounds good Billy! The fun thing abot night glow ball golf is that it really doesnt matter how good you are in the day! It depends on how lucky you are at night!!

Is this like real golf or mini golf ? Can we throw the ball or otherwise build propulsion/launching devices ? The golf club thing will never work

JoeyD
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
It is somewhat like real golf except that you use Glowing golf balls and you only bring along a 7 iron, wedge, and putter. You play on a real course but it is usually shortened down and is ony 9 holes. It is a ton of fun as the more you drink seems to enhance your game!!

I am all for some ball propulsion device, not sure how the golf course will feel but it's OK by me!! LOL....Redneck!!

Pro-Scapes
11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Im sure I can make something in the likes of the mythbusters.

1 golfball slingshot fashioned by bunjee cords and duct tape comming up..

If I scream "HEY yall watch this you should prolly duck." Perhaps I should be the designated driver/beverage man for this excursion

Watch who your calling redneck... I grew up in northern cali and vegas.

EOL
11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I am now an official member of AOLP. It took about 2 weeks by fax. Michele has been out of pocket but I believe is back, so be patient and I'm sure they will get to your app. on time.

EOL
11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Any one of those nights is fine for me, but would be more convenient for if it was on Fri. night considering I probably wont be attending the comedy night event.:drinkup:

JoeyD
11-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks Efrain!!

EOL
11-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Anybody know of a less expensive place to stay besides the Chaparral. The last time I checked a 1 bed suite is going for $200 a night. Hell I'll even camp out somewhere. I'll bring a tent!

JoeyD
11-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Anybody know of a less expensive place to stay besides the Chaparral. The last time I checked a 1 bed suite is going for $200 a night. Hell I'll even camp out somewhere. I'll bring a tent!

The chapparal suites has an open parking lot in the back. You could pitch a tent back there!!! Heck if you hang out with most these guys all night you wont care where your sleeping. Home is where you pass out!!! LOL
:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

EOL
11-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I know that's right. It won't be the first time and I know it wont be the last.

Pro-Scapes
11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
1...its tax deductible..

2... you may wish to find another solo attendee and see about splitting a room.

3...Im sure a search at hotels.com will provide some extensive listings in that area.

JoeyD
11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Efrain, just try to stay at the Chapparal. The entire event is hosted there and it would probably cost you the same overall if you are having to run a cab back and forth everyday.

Pro-Scapes
11-13-2007, 03:52 PM
For 2 of us to attend we are probably looking around 4 big ones. Gotta find better flights!!!

Pro-Scapes
11-13-2007, 04:01 PM
:laugh: looks like Efrain and James made it into the aolp but they were afraid to let me in for fear I would take over:laugh:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2007, 05:36 PM
:laugh: looks like Efrain and James made it into the aolp but they were afraid to let me in for fear I would take over:laugh:

I just got home and in my pile of mail is a big envelope from the AOLP. I haven't opened it yet but I assume it is confirmation of my membership...

Now to start plotting a takeover and move to Canada! :canadaflag:

NightScenes
11-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I was about to say that I checked and both of your packets had been sent out.

Let me be the first to say WELCOME!! I'm sure that both of you will be great members that will be active and promote professionalism in the industry.

Thank you for supporting the industry!!

EOL
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
1...its tax deductible..

2... you may wish to find another solo attendee and see about splitting a room.

3...Im sure a search at hotels.com will provide some extensive listings in that area.

Yea, I might have to do the hotel.com route or maybe even priceline.com..

NightScenes
11-14-2007, 07:54 AM
My son is rooming with another attendee which will cut the cost in half for his room. If your a member, I would go to the AOLP forum and place a thread for room mates. The rate for AOLP attendees is also a little less than the posted rate. I think it's more like $175. That does include a made to order breakfast each day and free drinks in the evening from 5.30-7pm. It's going to be hard to find cheap rooms in Scottsdale in January too because it's the high season then.

It's a good thing I booked my flight a few weeks ago though, it looks like fares are going up.

EOL
11-14-2007, 08:58 PM
That sounds great. I think I might call and reserve today. Saving $100 in four nights sounds good to me.

Rrjp111
11-16-2007, 01:21 AM
I am just trying to get started in lighting is this something that would be good for me or do I need more knowledge before I try to go to something like this

Pro-Scapes
11-16-2007, 07:55 AM
there is alot of knowledge required. Its not simply connecting lights to a string of wire and powering it up. It takes a commitment. Both the willingness to learn and a financial commitment.

NightScenes
11-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Hello Rrjp111, this conference is full of "knowledge". It's never too early to learn from some of the biggest names in the industry.

Go to www.aolponline.org to learn more about the AOLP and I'll be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Mike M
11-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Rrjp111;

Google the manufacturers and look up a free seminar. Excellent starting point.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-16-2007, 06:02 PM
I am just trying to get started in lighting is this something that would be good for me or do I need more knowledge before I try to go to something like this

If you have an interest or a passion for good lighting, then you have a good jumping off place. With great passion can come sucess.

I would say that there are thre predominant character types involved in the LV Outdoor Lighting business. 1 is the Designer. They see great lighting as art and understand its manipulation to create original installations. 2 is the Technician. They have a great mechanical aptitute and ability to grasp the technical details. 3 is the Designer/Technician. (Design Build) They posess the best of both previous.

If you are thinking of this business as a good way to make money and enjoy high profit margins, I think you might be missing the most basic ingredients of a sucessful lighting guy.

Have a great day.

Rrjp111
11-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice I like to prize of seeing some thing that really change the look of something. I thinking lighting is a way of doing that. I mean why do all that work on the landscaping and yard if can't enjoy it all the time . I think it is funny some times when people spent all there money on landscaping a yard and will not light it up for very one to see as they pass by at night. It's not all about the money as the joy of seeing your good work .
Thanks again for all the advice I may they and make the show. If not Florida outdoor lighting is doing something in march i will make shore to be there.:weightlifter:

eskerlite
11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
So who among us is attending the AOLP Conference? Ill be there the 20-27.
Sean C.:waving:

Pro-Scapes
11-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Hope to... Got some other stuff going on around same time and still need to see if Ashley can get off work since shes my interpreter :) If not this year then next year for sure. Still have not seen my welcome package or been added to the membership directory

NightScenes
11-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm on my way. Already booked the flight. Billy, I'll check on your package.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-26-2007, 08:20 AM
I am STILL sitting on the fence on this conference... I need some more motivation I suppose... (other then night golf and improvs).

So those of you who are attending, Please take a moment here and Sell a Salesman.

Have a great day.

NightLightingFX
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I will be there!!!
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

Mike M
11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Sell a Salesman

I thought your were an artist? :rolleyes:

Pro-Scapes
11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Sell a Salesman

Even an artist must sell his work to support himself.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Sell a Salesman

An artist, yes. A starving artist, no.

Thankfully good lighting is one of those artforms that can be sold profitably before the artist is dead!

Pro-Scapes
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
An artist, yes. A starving artist, no.

Thankfully good lighting is one of those artforms that can be sold profitably before the artist is dead!

good thing huh... I sold one of my paintings tonight :) Very nice clients. Should be an absolute pleasure to work with. Unfortunatly they could only go with one portrait tonight and I will need to paint one out back in the spring. This should be an interesting one and includes the LED strings I was asking about.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Congratulations on the sale Billy... I know you were really looking forward to landing that job.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Ok, I am going to attend the conference...

Now, After I book my flights, and register my attendance with the AOLP, how do I go about reserving a room at the hotel? Do I do this direct with them? Is there a spcial rate code?

Thanks

Chris J
11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Just call the Hotel directly, and tell them you are with the AOLP.

Mike & Lucia
11-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered for the testing, also.
Mike

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-28-2007, 09:28 AM
This is prety interesting.

I checked the price of the flight and the hotel room together as a package through expedia... it is actually a few bucks cheaper to bood it this way then to call the hotel direct and get the "aolp room rate".

Its only a few bucks, but I get all my points, airline miles and billed to one invoice on my c-card. much more convenient

Have a great day.

Chris J
11-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Dang! I just finished making my reservations! I wish I would have read this first.
BTW: on Saturday at the conference, the Advanced Troubleshooting class overlaps the Christmas Lighting class. And on Thursday, the Lighting Bloopers overlaps the As Builts class. Which of these are you guys going to? I chose the "As Builts" on Thursday, and the Christmas Lighting on Saturday, but now I'm having second thoughts.
I really wish these classes would not overlap. It bothers me to travel this far to think I am missing out on something.

Pro-Scapes
11-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I would really preffer to see an extra day or perhaps some longer days so classes didnt overlap.

Chris J
11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I agree Billy. I know the association likes to leave some time for fun, but sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't rather buckle down to a hardcore 4-day event of nothing but listening and learning from dusk till dawn. The conference probably wouldn't be as much fun, and the membership would probably go down, but at least I could absorb everything I possibly could in such a short amount of time. Kind of like cramming for a college exam?
Oh well, it should be fun anyway!
I'm looking forward to meeting all of you clowns real soon. This is going to be sooooooooooo much fun!:usflag::canadaflag::hammerhead::dizzy::waving::laugh::cool2:

pete scalia
11-28-2007, 11:35 PM
I may be speaking out of turn as I am not a member. But why stress over the cost for a few bucks. It's all tax deductible. Go first class and stay at the princess hotel or the phoentician and get limo-ed in every day. Or better yet helicoptered. they have a pad on the roof at that hotel where the conference is being held?

Chris J
11-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Pete,
it's not the cost that I'm concerned about; it's the amount of information that is going to be shared in the short time period. They have so much going on this year, that we actually have to choose which seminar we want to attend. There might be two very interesting seminars, but they are being conducted at the same time (overlapping). This is where it gets confusing.

pete scalia
11-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Pete,
it's not the cost that I'm concerned about; it's the amount of information that is going to be shared in the short time period. They have so much going on this year, that we actually have to choose which seminar we want to attend. There might be two very interesting seminars, but they are being conducted at the same time (overlapping). This is where it gets confusing.

I agree, if i was attending I'd not want to miss a seminar if it was in conflict with another at the same time. That's not good planning.

Chris J
11-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Maybe next year you can join us. You will definitly have a great time!

pete scalia
11-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Maybe next year you can join us. You will definitly have a great time!

I can't. You may have noticed that I have trouble playing in the sand box with others. That's what the teachers wrote on my report cards at least.

JoeyD
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Pete, we all have trouble playing in the samd box! Join the group and come and participate. we need a little New York flavor!!

JoeyD
11-30-2007, 05:29 PM
I;m bummed that Nate's class and the VD class is at the same time!!

Chris J
11-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Who the hell needs to attend a voltage drop class? This type of thing is basic training that should be obtianed by either your supplier or you manufacturer.

JoeyD
11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah but I will be interested to see who and what they teach. I always enjoy this topic, it usually leads to UL1838 and that is always a fun one discuss. Now that I think about it something tells me they may have planned it this way to keep Nate out!! Remember the UL speaker last year, Nate was on the verge of losing it.

Chris J
11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah! I remember that very well! You have probably heard Nate's speach a hundred times, so maybe you could attend the VD class, and give us an overview afterwards. Then again, if your going to the VD class, maybe I don't want to be near you; you need an injection or some kind of medicine?

JoeyD
11-30-2007, 09:21 PM
LOL........I just dont want to hear that if you go beyond 15v your going to kill the homeowner and burn down the house. I also dont want to hear that using 10 and 8 guage is better and more efficient then using smaller wire and higher tap. It just gets old. Yeah I have heard Nate's dog and pony for years but every time I hear it it makes more and more sense. Remember I worked as an installer and as a distributor so I gave everyone a shot with their methods and no matter how you try and slice it Hub method, 12guage, and a Multi Tap is the most efficient way to install a job. Grant it Unqiue makes it easier becuase of the wire leads but even if I had to pull my own fixture leads I would still use this system.

NightScenes
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Has anyone noticed the banner ad here for the conference? It's in rotation, I saw it yesterday.

JoeyD
12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I havent seen it yet Paul. I will keep my eyes out for it!

eskerlite
12-10-2007, 07:11 AM
The trouble with the banner is it is in a place were no one sees it. Once on the site, You drop down the page to see the threads and posts. Ive waited 3-5 minutes and havent seen it. We should have had a small sign like the sponsors flashing instead. Live and learn.
By the way Who is going to Conference?
Sean C.:dizzy:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I could post my thoughts on using banners and logos as an advertising medium here, but I am afraid it would insult and offend the site operators, and certainly their sponsors... Perhaps if you would like to hear my thoughts, send an email to my company.

klkanders
12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Joey, Is Unique doing anything Fri. night during the conference? If so do you have any info to share on it? i hope this was OK to ask since you mentioned it on here previously.
Thanks!

JoeyD
12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
we are going to do a night time golf event on Wed or Friday. We are trying for Wed as to not conflict witht he comedy thing. But if we cant do it Wed. becuase of the golf course then we will schedule it for Friday. But we will for sure do something on Friday. we talked about renting out that Italian Resturaunt we all went to last year. Did you go to that?? It was awesome! But we will be for sure planning something on every ngith of conference! I will keep every posted as we get closer.

eskerlite
12-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Sign up for certification if You are a Distributor, salesman or installer or Manufacturer. The Conference will be like no other.
Sean C.:drinkup:

pete scalia
12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
when is the last day to sign up for the conference?

eskerlite
12-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Usually January 1st, but we will accept anyone up til the 15th if they are desperate.
Sean C.:dizzy:

Firefly Lighting
12-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Really the last day to sign up for conference is the day of registration. You could pay at the door during registration, it would just cost you more.

Pro-Scapes
12-24-2007, 09:22 AM
we are still on the line about coming or not. More than likley I will wait a year so I can study for my cert test and have time to prepare to steal the rookie award :)

We have been known to make last minute plans and ash has been wanting to see sedona as well.

FYI Matt I got my packet :)

klkanders
12-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey Billy, I also just joined the AOLP and got my packet this past week. I am still trying to make the conference work as well. I might be pushing the deadline also. I for one am not concerned about any testing at this time. I'm just going to soak up as much info as I can this year. It just looks like there is too much stuff to learn down there to miss it.
If I do go I will be there for that whole week. It would be great to meet both of you If It works out for ya! Sedona is awesome! Take Care!

Eden Lights
12-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Can someone point me in the direction of the speaker schedule and topics to be covered by whom?

niteliters
12-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey Billy, I also just joined the AOLP and got my packet this past week. I am still trying to make the conference work as well. I might be pushing the deadline also. I for one am not concerned about any testing at this time. I'm just going to soak up as much info as I can this year. It just looks like there is too much stuff to learn down there to miss it.
If I do go I will be there for that whole week. It would be great to meet both of you If It works out for ya! Sedona is awesome! Take Care!

Hope you can make it to the conference. Would look forward to the face to face

niteliters
12-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Can someone point me in the direction of the speaker schedule and topics to be covered by whom?

www.aolponline.org events...aolp conference...attendee registration

JoeyD

Here ya go eddie. Hope you can make it!!

http://lvlia.com/PDF/2008ConferenceRegistrationForm.pdf

niteliters
we are still on the line about coming or not. More than likley I will wait a year so I can study for my cert test and have time to prepare to steal the rookie award :)

We have been known to make last minute plans and ash has been wanting to see sedona as well.

FYI Matt I got my packet :)
look forward to seeing you this year...hopefully

klkanders
12-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey Chris M.! Thanks!
Hav'nt seen you on much lately. I hope that is because you are busy working.
I would also enjoy meeting you as well. Take Care!

niteliters
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey Chris M.! Thanks!
Hav'nt seen you on much lately. I hope that is because you are busy working.
I would also enjoy meeting you as well. Take Care!

u r correct. Has been a busy year peronally as well as work. Let me know when you've bought your ticket.

NightScenes
12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
It will be great to meet you Kieth!! Welcome to the AOLP!! If you need anything, you have my #.

Eden Lights
12-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Here ya go eddie. Hope you can make it!!

http://lvlia.com/PDF/2008ConferenceRegistrationForm.pdf

Is there a summary of each session along with speaker info. Example: What is Mrs. Moyer's topic, what is Mr. Mullen's topic, Who is doing controls and what will be covered????? That would help in deciding what events to attend, since many are going on at the same time. Many of us have heard Nate speak on voltage drop and many have heard Jan's design and documents presentation so more info is really needed to make decisions. What is Tom Williams doing? Who's work is in the slide show? Etc. Etc.??????????????????????????????????

JoeyD
12-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I think the focus of this Conference is design and I know Nate was going to focus his presentation mainly on Design. I assume Janet Moyer will speak on Design as well. I know I saw something you are asking for but I think it was in the conferenc packet which I do not have on me. I am sure Paul or Sean can add to this.

Firefly Lighting
12-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Is there a summary of each session along with speaker info. Example: What is Mrs. Moyer's topic, what is Mr. Mullen's topic, Who is doing controls and what will be covered????? That would help in deciding what events to attend, since many are going on at the same time. Many of us have heard Nate speak on voltage drop and many have heard Jan's design and documents presentation so more info is really needed to make decisions. What is Tom Williams doing? Who's work is in the slide show? Etc. Etc.??????????????????????????????????

Guys and Gals- you should be receiving the summary of the different sessions in an email from the office very soon but I would be happy to clarify the different sessions topics.
As you all have seen we have the 1st year of the Design Accreditation program rolling out this year and there are 4 sessions during conference that are dedicated to that program.
Nate Mullen is going to be speaking on Design from the ground up which I think will encompass all areas of design/install and will be packed with much more knowing Nate.
Chuck Link from Florida Outdoor Lighting Dist. will be speaking on sales/marketing for which he is well versed at.
Janet Moyer is the Key note speaker and she will be speaking on herself. From what I hear this will be about her life in the business and her progression into the premier landscape lighting designer.
Oscar Welch and I will be doing the session on Christmas Lighting which will be a detailed discussion on how to incorporate a seasonal holiday lighting
side to your business and all the in's and out's of how to do it.
Oscar will then also be doing the switching and controls session in which he will talk about all the different options and methods, from Lutron to the simple peg timer.
Vince from Paige wire will be talking about what else but...wire.
Naomi Miller will be doing a design oriented session titled Lighting Bloopers which will be a light hearted look at lighting projects. She will also be discussing Lighting and the Eye as part of the Design program, and this will be an in depth look into the relation to lighting and vision.
The Certification committee will be doing the session Voltage Drop and Advanced trouble shooting.

I think that covers it, at least briefly. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Thank You,

Matthew Broyles
President AOLP

Eden Lights
12-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey, I am cheap. Anyone want a room mate to cover half the expenses? I am looking at being there on Wed. night and leaving sometime after lunch on Sat. Non-smoker please. We offered discounts in Nov and Dec for people that would schedule work in Jan & Feb, so we are short on time.

JoeyD
12-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Eddie I think Efrain Ramirez was looking for a roomate. PM me your phone number or email and I will pass it along to him.

Joey D.

klkanders
12-30-2007, 10:33 AM
My arrangements have been made and tickets purchased. I will be there the entire week of the conference. I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

niteliters
12-30-2007, 10:49 AM
looking forward to seeing you

NightScenes
12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I think that it's great that we will have so many new members at this years conference. I am really getting excited to meet everyone.

Pro-Scapes
12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
sorry i wont be there this year guys. Was looking forward to it but too much going on with the possible purchase of another company and alot of other factors.

With Ashley as my main interpreter and note taker its really hard for her to take a week off on short notice from the hospital.

pete scalia
12-30-2007, 01:10 PM
sorry i wont be there this year guys. Was looking forward to it but too much going on with the possible purchase of another company and alot of other factors.

With Ashley as my main interpreter and note taker its really hard for her to take a week off on short notice from the hospital.

Don't feel so bad William. I can't go either. Grandma's coming to town so I will be busy as well.

Lite4
12-30-2007, 08:54 PM
I was wanting to go this year, but it has been a very slow winter for me. Getting this company going and setting up a lot of advertising for this next year has drained the resources pretty well. Sorry, I would love to meet all of you but I have to take care of business for now. I have no doubt about being there next Jan. though. This will be my first full season doing lighting only without working for the landscraper. It is already looking very good for Spring.

NightScenes
12-30-2007, 09:56 PM
We'll be looking forward to meeting you next time Tim!! Me and Gerry De La Vega will be writing an article for Lightlines and some other publications that will cover the event, so you will be able to read about it.

pete scalia
12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I was wanting to go this year, but it has been a very slow winter for me. Getting this company going and setting up a lot of advertising for this next year has drained the resources pretty well. Sorry, I would love to meet all of you but I have to take care of business for now. I have no doubt about being there next Jan. though. This will be my first full season doing lighting only without working for the landscraper. It is already looking very good for Spring.

Tim this event only happens once a year. Don't miss it. We understand about the finances. You already said the spring is looking good. Take a loan on your future receivables but don't miss the event. Have you seen the star studded lineup? It's a whose who cornucopia of lighting celebrities together all on one stage for one event. Tim I'm telling you don't miss it. Please listen to pete.

NightLightingFX
12-31-2007, 08:08 PM

Tim,
I understand issues with finance but you should do all that you can to make it to the AOLP conference. This will be my third year. If LV lighting is your passion you will be overwhelmed with excitement by going to the conference. The speaking line up, (which blows away past conferences and they were still great) and meeting people that all have a passion for lighting just like you. It is quite the experience you don't want to miss.
~Ned

Lite4
01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I really don't want to miss it. It is just a matter of finances at this point. I have a lot of $ going out the door this month already. If I could swing it I definitely would.

NightScenes
01-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I have been seeing the AOLP Conference banner on top of the pages a lot lately.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Paul, I have yet to see the banner... but to be honest, I generally scroll down the second that the pages come up. I have never been a great audience for any type of "push advertising" on the internet.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I did see the banner once last week but that was it. To be honest I havent really been looking all that much though.

eskerlite
01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Tim, Find the funds and find someone to share a room with. The money You will make after the conference will be twice what is would be if You dont go. It is the outdoor lighting mecca. Ill buy all the drinks from 5:30 to 7:30.
It is a must for the serious lighting professional.
Sean Curran
Past President AOLP

Lite4
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
What is the estimated cost to attend. (airfaire, hotel, food, admission). Just trying to get a ball park to see if I can swing it.

NightScenes
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I would say that you're looking at about $1500. I remember the first year for me. I went to take the cert. exam and was not going to stay for the conference. I really could not afford it. They talked me into it while I was there so I changed my flight arrangements and kept the room. I also had to wear my cloths toooo much (I was pretty ripe by the end I'm sure). It was a great experience for me and I'm glad I stayed.

Only you can make that decision though, you know your finances better than any of us. It would be great if you could attend but if not, we'll be sure and fill you in.

Lite4
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Paul. What are the dates again?

NightScenes
01-02-2008, 10:02 PM
January 24-26 in Scottsdale, AZ. You can find all of the info at www.aolponline.org .

Pro-Scapes
01-02-2008, 10:02 PM
i was figuring closer to 2k per person. When you add up me and Ashley (i need her to terp for me) it gets expensive quick. We will use that 4k to market this year and attend next year.

Eden Lights
01-03-2008, 12:50 AM
I am still looking for a speaker lineup with topics and times. Someone said it's in the application package? If anyone has this information please scan it, post it, e-mail it or something?

NightScenes
01-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Guys and Gals- you should be receiving the summary of the different sessions in an email from the office very soon but I would be happy to clarify the different sessions topics.
As you all have seen we have the 1st year of the Design Accreditation program rolling out this year and there are 4 sessions during conference that are dedicated to that program.
Nate Mullen is going to be speaking on Design from the ground up which I think will encompass all areas of design/install and will be packed with much more knowing Nate.
Chuck Link from Florida Outdoor Lighting Dist. will be speaking on sales/marketing for which he is well versed at.
Janet Moyer is the Key note speaker and she will be speaking on herself. From what I hear this will be about her life in the business and her progression into the premier landscape lighting designer.
Oscar Welch and I will be doing the session on Christmas Lighting which will be a detailed discussion on how to incorporate a seasonal holiday lighting
side to your business and all the in's and out's of how to do it.
Oscar will then also be doing the switching and controls session in which he will talk about all the different options and methods, from Lutron to the simple peg timer.
Vince from Paige wire will be talking about what else but...wire.
Naomi Miller will be doing a design oriented session titled Lighting Bloopers which will be a light hearted look at lighting projects. She will also be discussing Lighting and the Eye as part of the Design program, and this will be an in depth look into the relation to lighting and vision.
The Certification committee will be doing the session Voltage Drop and Advanced trouble shooting.

I think that covers it, at least briefly. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Thank You,

Matthew Broyles
President AOLP

Eddie, here is the line up. Matt posted it on this forum a short while back.

Eden Lights
01-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I read that and just read it again just to see if I missed something. I figured out Mullen, Moyer, and Miller I think???? I figured someone had a summary to go by when picking the classes????

eskerlite
01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Mike Gambino just signed up for Conference. Ive been asking Him to attend for a couple of years now to see how far we have progressed. He is another wealth of expeirience and knowledge we can add to the growing list of Attendees. This will be a Conference to attend and remember.
Sean Curran www.dbcurraninc.com
Past President AOLP AOLPonline.org:usflag::canadaflag::clapping:

Mike M
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Mike Gambino just signed up for Conference

HOLY CRAP!!

Is he presenting or attending?

Mike M
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Road trip anyone? I'll take my wife's Honda, split gas and sandwiches, stay for free in Chris J.'s room at Motel 6.

Eden Lights
01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Mike Gambino just signed up for Conference. Ive been asking Him to attend for a couple of years now to see how far we have progressed. He is another wealth of expeirience and knowledge we can add to the growing list of Attendees. This will be a Conference to attend and remember.

I knew Pete couldn't stay away, did someone say there was a motel 6 near by . I am there!

klkanders
01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
The conference seems to be getting better day by day!
Mike are you going to try and attend? Pick up Billy and his wife on the way! :)

eskerlite
01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Mike is attending. I'm sure if we all put our egos and attitudes aside for conference and realize we are all there to share our journeys through life Mike G. will be one of the many attendees who will share their knowledge with others and learn something from others.There are so many Lighting professionals in this Organization that even the most knowledgeable will see and hear new ways to prosper in Lighting.
"Beautification Through Illumination"
Sean Curran.:drinkup:

klkanders
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Sean, I can't wait to soak in as much of this as possible. It sounds like you played a huge role in getting him to attend. Thank You. I hope I can shake your hand in person.
Take Care!
Keith

eskerlite
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
My pleasure. I will see You at Conference!
Sean C.:waving:

Chris J
01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Mike Gambino just signed up for Conference. Ive been asking Him to attend for a couple of years now to see how far we have progressed. He is another wealth of expeirience and knowledge we can add to the growing list of Attendees. This will be a Conference to attend and remember. Sean Curran www.dbcurraninc.com

Yeah, I'm guessing you are spot on with this predicition. This should be interesting to say the least.

pete scalia
01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I've got first dibs on sharing his room. Big deal Mr. Big shot is coming. Bring out the trumpets and role out the red carpet. Bring me back an autograph. Give me a break!

Chris J
01-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Road trip anyone? I'll take my wife's Honda, split gas and sandwiches, stay for free in Chris J.'s room at Motel 6.

Motel 6? Whatchutalkinbout Willis? I got the prime penthouse with the jacuzzi overlookin da dang pool! I been dere befo, and I stay firs classs!

Mike M
01-03-2008, 10:11 PM
You cheap bastud. The only way you stay in fust class is if Mike G. invites you to his room!!!

Chris J
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Sean, I can't wait to soak in as much of this as possible. It sounds like you played a huge role in getting him to attend. Thank You. I hope I can shake your hand in person.
Take Care!
Keith

I think I'm gonna throw up......

pete scalia
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Motel 6? Whatchutalkinbout Willis? I got the prime penthouse with the jacuzzi overlookin da dang pool! I been dere befo, and I stay firs classs!

Good. It will easier for you to be found then.

pete scalia
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM

I concur. You'd think they were just told that Pete Scalia was going. That hullabaloo is understandable.

Chris J
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Found? The way I see it, people are going to have a harder time trying to find their way FROM my room, back to their own! Party's at Chris J's pad!

pete scalia
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM

This is the guy I want to room with. Everythings On the house with him and the AOLP picks up the tab.

Eden Lights
01-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Will someone just record the big three speakers with your Ipod and I will pay well for the recordings.

Lite4
01-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Eddie, I think you are on to something. AOLP should record these speakers and post on the website with streaming audio links for those of us that can't attend. This would also be great for those who go to review and hear some of the points they may have missed. What a great feature to add to the website. What do you AOLP officers think?

pete scalia
01-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Eddie, I think you are on to something. AOLP should record these speakers and post on the website with streaming audio links for those of us that can't attend. This would also be great for those who go to review and hear some of the points they may have missed. What a great feature to add to the website. What do you AOLP officers think?

Why should others pay to go to the conference when you can get it for free. if they were smart they would record the whole thing and sell it from their website for $399.99 plus shipping.

klkanders
01-04-2008, 01:47 AM

Chris I thought you might get a kick out of that.
Save that up-chuckin for the conference.......:drinkup:

NightScenes
01-04-2008, 07:48 AM

I think I'll bring my Kevlar vest now!!