PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with Hunter....

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I have had a lot of problems with Hunter rotor heads from PGJ's to I-20's.

I stopped using PGP's a few years back because I had so many that didn't rotate right out of the box, I switched to I-20's to have several of them blow their heads off on a new install right out of the box. I went back to PGP's to find the same thing as before...not turning. I have also had many PGJ's stop turning as well. I am thinking of using Weather-Matic next year, anybody using them and what do you think on them?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-14-2007, 05:51 PM
HA!!!!!

for us in New England its about 1 in a case that dont turn...

have you tried the super 800 by toro?

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Sounds like you've got 300 psi & the fastest opening valve in the world!
Stay away from WM Rotors..you've got other problems.We use I-20 6" stainless,
have had "weeping", but not what you describe. Have you sent the heads to
Hunter?

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't think much of Toro, they can't seem to stick with a product without making many changes, now having siad that it is a while since I looked at them.

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I did send them to Hunter, seems in 2004 there was a manufacture defect on them. They sent me new stainless in place of them. The PSI was 55 to 60 in most cases.

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't think much of Toro, they can't seem to stick with a product without making many changes, now having siad that it is a while since I looked at them.

Don't bother..continue to be junk.

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Thought so.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Try the rainbird 5000...

Supposedly they have worked out the kinks in em.

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I did send them to Hunter, seems in 2004 there was a manufacture defect on them. They sent me new stainless in place of them. The PSI was 55 to 60 in most cases.

Perfect psi for the I-20s, keep using them.."Ultra 6" stainless". Best.:)

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I have tried Rainbird this year, I like the 5000 plus, however I do like the I-20's the best if they would work right and maybe now they do. I have six cases to go in the ground just need someone to pay the extra for them.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I have tried Rainbird this year, I like the 5000 plus, however I do like the I-20's the best if they would work right and maybe now they do. I have six cases to go in the ground just need someone to pay the extra for them.

::backs out of thread slowly::

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I've field trialed the 5000 , nice..stainless risers are my
choice since we have grit issues. MPR nozzles are very cool for zones with
f.c. & 180 together.

Kiril
10-14-2007, 06:23 PM
stainless risers are my choice

Come on, admit it, you just like shiny things. :cool2:

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Come on, admit it, you just like shiny things. :cool2:

Fourth Airstream...duh.:cool:

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 06:35 PM
I just tried some MP's at the end of this year, they sure do look pretty!

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I just tried some MP's at the end of this year, they sure do look pretty!

Poor mans Stream Rotors..they are great!:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Poor mans Stream Rotors..they are great!:)

I for one LOVE THE MP ROTaR...

but

The toro 300 Stream rotor= best in the biz..

hands down..

shall I count the ways?

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Sure, please do!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Sure, please do!

HA! you got it!

for 1 if you were to swing a hammer against both the STREAM ROTOR would prevail

if you were to drop each off the empire state building the stream rotor would prevail or be in less pices

The stream rotor gives Higher power of a stream.
The stream rotor is proven among the test of time.(i have a time machine)
The stream rotor throws farther.
the stream rotor has a body/head dedicated to it.

shall I go on?

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Yep..ROTAR is correct on Streamies.

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 06:58 PM
If I need one that will be hit by hammers or dropped off buildings I'll be sure to use it!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Yep..ROTAR is correct on Streamies.

tis my favorite sprinkler head of all time....

Even against the mp...

if i were to bury 1 sprink for the rest of time it would be the SR...

no doubt.....

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
If I need one that will be hit by hammers or dropped off buildings I'll be sure to use it!

Well, here you go......:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
10-14-2007, 07:47 PM
The stream rotor is proven among the test of time.(i have a time machine)....and they still weren't as reliable as Safe-T-Lawn rotors

Dirty Water
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
The toro 300's have a very reliable single direction motor, but once their nozzles clog, they can be very finicky.

The old ones were great, the new ones, I've seen a lot that refuse to rotate out of the box.

Wet_Boots
10-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I still think the 300s lost something when the oil-filled gear-drives ceased to be.

Mike Leary
10-14-2007, 08:07 PM
The toro 300's have a very reliable single direction motor, but once their nozzles clog, they can be very finicky.

The old ones were great, the new ones, I've seen a lot that refuse to rotate out of the box.

Hey Jon..how are you? The older Stream Rotors had a factory lubrication of
the gears..somehow..Toro, in their wisdom to dumb down the perfect head,
quit the lube. I don't know if it was EPA or what, but I've seen SR heads at
least twenty years old & doing fine..thank you. Maybe a new arc disk and
gasket every few years...nozzles too..Ed Hunter & I used to meet @ IA &
golf (Ping got it's start in Suquamish). His biggest failure? "I could'nt improve
the Stream Rotor". No wonder Dick & crew bought MP...a fitting tribute.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Blasphemor.

EagleLandscape
10-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, I am biased toward weathermatic, but I would stay away from toro's. Hardest to adjust, their key is crap.

Weathermatic's can be adjusted for arc, etc... while the zone is running. Unlike Toro where it has to be shut off (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I understand). I've had amazing experience with WM rotors, and good experience with Hunter as well.

YardPro
10-14-2007, 09:03 PM
i am NOT a tor fan after using them for years and going through the 600, 700 and the v1550 debacle...

BUT i will say that their older heads are super reliable.

we have heads at our condos (600's and 300's) that are 25 years old and still work fine every day.

these are the ones that are short and only pop up an inch at the most. They have the large plastic flange, and to change the arc, you have to dissasemble the top of the head and replace a metal gear with the appropriate arc cut out of the center.

YardPro
10-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, I am biased toward weathermatic, but I would stay away from toro's. Hardest to adjust, their key is crap.

Weathermatic's can be adjusted for arc, etc... while the zone is running. Unlike Toro where it has to be shut off (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I understand). I've had amazing experience with WM rotors, and good experience with Hunter as well.

totally wrong about arc adjustment.. i have never seen any brand that cannot be adjusted while running except the above 20 year old toros.

and the weathermatic rotors i have seen are garbage. there is no anti-vandal to the arc adjustment. you turn the top of the turret while it is running and you just shifted the arc to one side. we replace a lot of the weathermatic heads.

Duramaxsle1
10-14-2007, 09:24 PM
They (the irrigation manufacturers)stress about heads being anti-vandal and to be honest I've never had a problem, myself if I was going to vandelize one I would kid the crap out of it while it was running not turn the arc! I tried a few WM's this season and they seem to be pretty good, what I don't have is any in the ground long enough to compare.

DanEHunter
10-17-2007, 04:21 PM
If you're having trouble with Hunter rotors please contact customer service, they'll do their best to address whatever issue you may have.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
If you're having trouble with Hunter rotors please contact customer service, they'll do their best to address whatever issue you may have.

are you a rep?

DanEHunter
10-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Uh.....close

I'm Ed Hunter's grandson....

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 04:58 PM
are you a rep?

Does the name HUNTER mean anything to you ROTAR?:hammerhead:
::Rotar kisses away any chance to work for Hunter Industries::

DanEHunter
10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Look guys, I work in R&D as well.....

If there are ANY issues you're having with our products we want to know about them so we can fix them.

Daniel E. Hunter

(one guess what the E. stands for.....)

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:06 PM

If there are ANY issues you're having with our products we want to know about them so we can fix them.

Daniel E. Hunter

I know Dan, my hero. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:07 PM

Daniel E. Hunter

is hunter ever going to make a good small rotor?
I mean the pgm=failure is it not?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Does the name HUNTER mean anything to you ROTAR?:hammerhead:
::Rotar kisses away any chance to work for Hunter Industries::

hey mike its just a username..which holds no validity..

so your saying this guy can get me a good job with hunter?

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:13 PM
hey mike its just a username..which holds no validity..

so your saying this guy can get me a good job with hunter?

Oh yass, just call Hunter Industries & ask for the "rep" named Dan Hunter,you should have no problem being CEO in a short time.:rolleyes:

DanEHunter
10-17-2007, 05:14 PM
We're always working on making our existing products better and we have some new things in process as well.....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Oh yass, just call Hunter Industries & ask for the "rep" named Dan Hunter,you should have no problem being CEO in a short time.:rolleyes:

lol

hey mike why you brownosing this guy?

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:17 PM
lol

hey mike why you brownosing this guy?

I've talked with him before and I knew & respected his father. Did you take
your bonehead pill today?:hammerhead:

DanEHunter
10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Look, we're not perfect......I know that. If you guys have issues with our products let us know...please.

Thank you Mike.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I've talked with him before and I knew & respected his father. Did you take
your bonehead pill today?:hammerhead:

well lets be honest with the guy..

Mr hunter-
how come the north east coast still have red nozzles in the box?
How come the pgp red nozzles have a horrible spray pattern?
When will hunter make a good small rotor?
why does @ least 1 pgp in the case not turn?
When is hunter going to try to compete with toro in the fixed spray department?

When is the mp rotor going to come out with the 4 gpm nozzle?
Where do I have to go to burry a I-90?

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
I know where you could "burry" a I-90.:laugh:

DanEHunter
10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Questions 1-3: We're working on it....
Question 4: please send us your bad units
Question 5: not sure about that one
Question 6: I don't know...
Question 7: please explain....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I know where you could "burry" a I-90.:laugh:

don't talk about your mother in law like that..

It might get back to her..

lol nice zinger..

actually i love the pgp..durable commercial head...just they do have a few problems with the companies products.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Good comeback Dan, balls in your court ROTAR.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:44 PM

well first of all thanks for responding.I respect your companies products and its want for the customers feedback..

I like your company and always feel its a good day when i can bury 2 cases of pgp's in a day with my crew..

Since I got into irrigation I've wanted to get on BIG JOBS that bury large sprinks.To me it would be like my Mona Lisa...To some that might sound sad but I could care less.

My supply house will take any broken warrantied pgp, no questions. It just gets old of digging them up on a new install..I love the blue nozzles, but they are few and far between in New England..Our main supplier is Bisco and http://www.thesprinklerhouse.com/.

The Bisco crew will send us the nozzles but we have to complain for weeks...Its almost not worth it @ times..

ED

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Just to let you know my rep for Hunter did call me yesterday to let me know Hunter has seen my thread on here and are more then willing to work out and fix any problems I have. They did with the I-20's I had problems with and took care of me. I believe they do look after the people that buy the products. I am hoping they will get the PGP and PGJ problems solved.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
::::Rotar twists in the wind::::

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Just to let you know my rep for Hunter did call me yesterday to let me know Hunter has seen my thread on here and are more then willing to work out and fix any problems I have. They did with the I-20's I had problems with and took care of me. I believe they do look after the people that buy the products. I am hoping they will get the PGP and PGJ problems solved.

wow no kidding!.

big wigs are lookin @ my sprinkler pics????
I feel graced upon excellence...

jk

::inserts 1 of mike leary's witty comments::

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I will add one thing about Hunter's warranty, they did exchange bad heads no problem but this year my distributer tells me that Hunter is making them test all heads before exchanging them....not to crazy over the fact that we have to do that....time is money and waiting for them to test them would be a pain!!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I will add one thing about Hunter's warranty, they did exchange bad heads no problem but this year my distributer tells me that Hunter is making them test all heads before exchanging them....not to crazy over the fact that we have to do that....time is money and waiting for them to test them would be a pain!!!

And one would of thought this "TEST" would of been the installer undigging the head/putting in a "NEW GOOD" head....

go figure....

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
That I agree with, nothing more embarrassing when a customer sees a brand new head that doesn't turn, after you spend hours telling customers how much better they are then the others.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM

That's BS....too many "pilot errors" caused this change? Hmm. Maybe Hunter should have a deal going
like Rain Bird did when the first T Birds went t.ts up....send them a bill for labor to pull & reinstall & take
the credit in new Hunter products.

Wet_Boots
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, hurry up with those blue nozzles, so I don't have to suffer any horrible red-nozzle coverage like this
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81944&stc=1&d=1180744965

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Wet_Boots;2000028]Yeah, hurry up with those blue nozzles, so I don't have to suffer any horrible red-nozzle coverage like thisQUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh. ::respects the man too much to ask why the head was not spotted at the walk edge:::nono:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 06:03 PM
That I agree with, nothing more embarrassing when a customer sees a brand new head that doesn't turn, after you spend hours telling customers how much better they are then the others.

Try this one....

we installed a few faucets on this one job a few years ago..92 year old guy finally decides to put in sprinks for the lawn....we go install 5 zones of pgp's...

3 days later we get the preveribal callback "2 of your new heads are turning"

us=:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: why didn't I use the 5000

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 06:09 PM
I think they should pay us every time we do bring a dead head back, but I will say they do recognize us which is more then I can say about other manufactures!!!

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I think they should pay us every time we do bring a dead head back, but I will say they do recognize us which is more then I can say about other manufactures!!!

Or at least a credit...they could easily figure a "flat rate" to remove & install.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 06:13 PM

I always said to my supplier they should give us 2 pgp's for 1 bad....

1 for replacing it and 1 for time to dig re dig up/readjust.

Here is a good story about toro..

One guy in my company 35 year old irrigation vet on cape cod in his last few years in business installed a bunch of toro risers on a job lets say 6 zones 7 heads a zone....well turns out those risers were all "brittle" and broke when the commercial lawn mower drove over them..so every few weeks it was call back after call back..

my buddy writes a letter to Toro, telling them what happened....They respond with a bag of risers and a "not my problem letter"...

go figure...

All those companies are crooks in some way...

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I figure go do a call back to replace a dead head costs about $75.00, it only takes a few minutes to replace but getting there and back takes most times as much as an hour. I like the two heads for one idea, one to replace and one for the next one we have to replace.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
All those companies are crooks in some way...

Could be said the same for contractors.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Could be said the same for contractors.

complete truth...I, in all actuality, almost typed that...

But it makes me look "crooked" when I go back cause 1 head don't work right.
I have had people accuse me of "slipping in a second hand head" now and then..
no lie....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=Wet_Boots;2000028]Yeah, hurry up with those blue nozzles, so I don't have to suffer any horrible red-nozzle coverage like thisQUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh. ::respects the man too much to ask why the head was not spotted at the walk edge:::nono:

Mike Leary=irrigation nazi.

but I get like that too..I pick Ronnies systems apart nicely...

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
complete truth...I, in all actuality, almost typed that...

But it makes me look "crooked" when I go back cause 1 head don't work right.
I have had people accuse me of "slipping in a second hand head" now and then..
no lie....

Thats where the "reps" have to step up with parts & labor chits so you
can say..."no charge, warranty".

Wet_Boots
10-17-2007, 06:41 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh. ::respects the man too much to ask why the head was not spotted at the walk edge:::nono:It's head-past-head spacing by an off-camera curving driveway, being a rework of an old low-static-pressure Minipaw system. It was this rework job that brought to light the modern PGP nozzles not spraying as far as older ones, and a disappointing response from Hunter tech assistance, along the lines that I really wanted at least 50 psi at the heads, and that the molds for the original red nozzles no longer existed. (lucky I'm a packrat, and have some originals to spare)

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:49 PM
It's head-past-head spacing )

That's why the turf looks so good along the edge? I like "head past head"
spacing, explains it all.:dizzy:

Wet_Boots
10-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Head-past-head means closer than head-to-head spacing. :hammerhead: The entire supply was cut to the system, so there was plenty of brown grass to go around.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Head-past-head means closer than head-to-head spacing. :hammerhead: The entire supply was cut to the system, so there was plenty of brown grass to go around.

::::walks into the sunset:::cry: ::applies for job at LawnGenie.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 07:11 PM
::::walks into the sunset:::cry: ::applies for job at LawnGenie.

I think you are actually over qualified for it,MIKE.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Wow a Hunter got on and talked to us. I wonder if he saw my Arboretum thread? The MP is the short spray rotor in my opinion Rotar.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow a Hunter got on and talked to us. I wonder if he saw my Arboretum thread? The MP is the short spray rotor in my opinion Rotar.

I konw I myself felt kind of shocked that I talked to such a higher up~
I bet you they saw your thread...Now that I realize it we post a ton of pictures and stories ect that they are reading and learning from..pretty crazy if you ask me pete..LOL @ your outlook on the mp rotor...I always looked @ them as a mini stream rotor....How long do you think these Hunter reps have been lurking this board?

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
If they are smart they will keep one eye on this and get involved!!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 08:16 PM
If they are smart they will keep one eye on this and get involved!!!

Dude its even more insane they heard about your story and got intouch with you personally outside the message board..

Looks like they don't want their Name dragged through the mud....

:: prepares to get dirty::

JK.....

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
And that my friend is good business!!!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 08:19 PM
And that my friend is good business!!!!

Amen brotha!!!!!!!

they should be on the look out for this guy..

I heard he gets mad when he has to constantly dig up brand new pgp's and hates getting called a liar under false pretenses ...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/flexin.jpg

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 08:24 PM
LOL I see him everyday!!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 08:26 PM
LOL I see him everyday!!!

Hunter=*trucewhiteflag* *trucewhiteflag* *trucewhiteflag*

DanaMac
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
us=:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: why didn't I use the 5000

I've had to replace WAY more 5000s than the PGP. I PREFER the 5000, but reliability favors the PGP. at least from my experiences. I have rarely, RARELY, had a bad PGP out of the box. Maybe 1 in 10 cases.

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I for one LOVE THE MP ROTaR...

but

The toro 300 Stream rotor= best in the biz..

hands down..

shall I count the ways?

Dude you are nuts!

Now these days, with the adjustable "nozzles" you can get them to work in some situations... but I've never liked them for turf.

When they first came out they had three different radii cap nozzles, the 01, 02 and 03. LA's specified these heads without much concern to spacing on a couple of big jobs I maintained. We were always chasing brown spots because of under-throw or over-throw.

I'm talking back when you were probably in kindergarten, around 1984-1985.

So (like so many Toro products) they redesigned them. Not sure whether the gears are still enclosed in an oil-filled capsule...but those would often fail too, just like the Super 700's.

I've tried the adjustables and they still don't work worth a damn within the curves that LAs like to draw out for residential turf areas, and the covers pop off all the time too...

So, maybe in large areas, with perfect spacing, and on a slope...

But they also eat up flow. On one job this year I replaced 24 of them with RB 3500s. I ended up with a higher effective pressure and turned a lawn full of mixed brown spots and swampy areas into even green turf with less run time.

Best use for stream rotors IMO is ground cover on a slope, but I wouldn't install them anywhere anymore. About two weeks ago I gave away all that I had left, including my box of SS arc discs, on freecycle.com.

EagleLandscape
10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Doesnt hunter make a 12" rotor now? I have an upcoming job that totals 13,000 sq ft of misc beds (22 beds total) and alot of them are turf areas right now with rotors. We are changing all those areas to groundcover, but I need something that'll get up and clear the GC without having to completely redo a zone.

12" popup rotors? anyone?

***Ok, I found it. PGH. Peter, or anyone in the dallas area. Do you know who carries these with check valves?

Duramaxsle1
10-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Yes Hunter does have them!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Doesnt hunter make a 12" rotor now? I have an upcoming job that totals 13,000 sq ft of misc beds (22 beds total) and alot of them are turf areas right now with rotors. We are changing all those areas to groundcover, but I need something that'll get up and clear the GC without having to completely redo a zone.

***Ok, I found it. PGH. Peter, or anyone in the dallas area. Do you know who carries these with check valves?

I would go with the 12'' stream rotor made by toro...we put them in the beds with the collar above grade...they are great for stretching water in a planting bed.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-18-2007, 05:52 AM

Kenny at JDL can order them for you. I usually send everybody to longhorn but they aren't Hunter distributors. Ewing in Plano has a pretty cool store. Wander through the aisles and pull your own order. I think you can get those with ck valves if not Hunter has an external ck valve. What is the spacing like? Might be a good situation for MPs on 1812/sam. Put some lights in when they run and it will look like a water display.:) Price wise it will be better. What kind of groundcover?

Wet_Boots
10-18-2007, 07:06 AM
all PGH heads have the internal check valves

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I like the Stream Rotors a lot for plantings, they are much easier on the
foliage than single stream heads. Sad truth is they do not have low drain
checks & the Hunter "lipstick" LDC must be used. Carefull research should be
done when using Stream Rotors & Hunter LDCs, 'cause the combo eats PSI &
GPM for breakfast! Prolly now the MP Rotators & Rain Bird 1812SAM would be
the best choice.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I like the Stream Rotors a lot for plantings, they are much easier on the
foliage than single stream heads. Sad truth is they do not have low drain
checks & the Hunter "lipstick" LDC must be used. Carefull research should be
done when using Stream Rotors & Hunter LDCs, 'cause the combo eats PSI &
GPM for breakfast! Prolly now the MP Rotators & Rain Bird 1812SAM would be
the best choice.

you=traitor to the stream rotor.

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
you=traitor to the stream rotor.

Nope...if you'll put your glasses on & re read the post, I suggested for HIS
application the MP was cool. The Stream Rotor is STILL the flat out coolest
sprinkler on the planet..right up there with the Hunter "I" series and big guns.
You must know, they do eat water & with the Hunter LDC you've lost 7 psi
from the git, more as the slope increases. So 60 psi at the head with lotsa
gpm...best head...thanks again Ed Hunter!:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
jk mike..

you =the ser

Mr.Hunter can you send a few boxes of pgp blue nozzles to us?

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 04:40 PM
jk mike..

you =the ser

Mr.Hunter can you send a few boxes of pgp blue nozzles to us?

Suck up...brown noser.

EagleLandscape
10-18-2007, 09:08 PM
First, toro stream rotors are junk. and they're UGLY.

Well I'm not sure on the spacing. It's an HOA and we are changing sparse bermuda areas that have shade and high slope to mondo grass and liriope and english ivy beds. I would bet that MPRS probably wouldnt work.

Kenny, Rudy and Adam are good guys at John Deere, I used to buy all my stuff though. They are expensive though. I'm starting to shop at Longhorn now. Rich is so stinkin' helpful!! And the guys at the lawnmower shop are too (marvin and david I think) They turn around machines in like half a day.

If that keeps up, they got my business from now on. I normally have to wait 3-7 days at richardson saw.

But, yes, I'll call kenny once I flag it out and see what changes I need to make. I'm sure it's going to be a crap-load of digging down to accomodate the 12"s. I bet they did a threaded T off the lateral. GREAT :-\

Duramaxsle1
10-18-2007, 09:38 PM
So can any body tell me their findings with WM gears and sprays?

EagleLandscape
10-19-2007, 12:22 AM
I personally like WM, the arc is incredibly easy to adjust. NO key needed, just one click-dial-turn to set the arc, and then set left and right and you're done.

I had Toro comp me a bunch of rotors on some homes I was building earlier this spring, and I have to say I would have rather paid for all the parts that use that stuff. Rotors were a pain, a few didn't work. Sprays hurt the hand when installing, not to mention u have to use toro nozzles.

I will never understand why anyone would use any other spray head other than weathermatic. their flush cap is the easiest to use when nozzeling a system its not even funny. I was messing with hunter heads a second ago out of an old box I found and that has got to be the worst design for a cap I have ever seen. Head seems well built, but that cap sucks.

Duramaxsle1
10-19-2007, 07:53 AM
So you use WM all the time, how are they for defects? How long have you been using them?

jcom
10-19-2007, 09:09 PM
We get maybe 2 PGJs and 1 PGP that won't turn each SEASON. Maybe a total of 1000 PGPs and 100 PGJs each year installed.

John

BrandonV
10-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm with you, I think someone must be sabotaging the boys up northeast.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 09:29 PM
We get maybe 2 PGJs and 1 PGP that won't turn each SEASON. Maybe a total of 1000 PGPs and 100 PGJs each year installed.

John

::moves to south dakota::

::kills self::
jk

Honestly i wouldn't make a false accusation...we bring back on average 1 in a case......On a sidenote I will admit that DEHUNTER is sending me some nozzles cause i asked him for them.

thanks dan..

in closing...the corona's are flowing @ about 30 psi>my stomach tonight.

WalkGood
10-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Had a few ( 3 ) PGP's this season that felt a little "crunchy" when manually turned while setting up the arcs. They wouldn't adjust to a consistant arc; sometimes turned late, next cycle it would turn too early. They went back for credit.

Had one case where 4 in a row leaked around the wiper seal, on higher pressure systems (approx 70+ psi).

BrandonV
10-20-2007, 07:41 AM
i forgot this was about pgs... we use i20s didn't think about the difference before i spouted off. hows everyones luck with i20s

Duramaxsle1
10-20-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm with you, I think someone must be sabotaging the boys up northeast.

You know that is what I asked my rep from hunter, is my supplier buying seconds or something?

PurpHaze
10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
i forgot this was about pgs... we use i20s didn't think about the difference before i spouted off. hows everyones luck with i20s

We use the I-20 SS exclusively when we need a medium range rotor with usually the #4, 6, 8 nozzles. As with all things we'll go through many cases without running into any problems and then encounter a few bad ones every so often. We're in a different situation than contractors in that we buy cases for stocking and not for individual projects (unless we're buying extra for a specific large project) and then just keep a good supply on hand.

Run into a few that are kinda crunchy on the ratcheting and on occasion find one that the reversing plate has been installed on the wrong side making the arc permanent on the left instead of the right as with all other Hunter sprinklers. Other than that no major problems.

Duramaxsle1
10-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I switched to I-20's a few years back, only a few problems with them until this year when I received cases dated 2004 then the heads blew off on start-up. I have tried some of the newer dated caes and so far so good!

Wet_Boots
10-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I have some qualms about touting I-20's as vastly superior, when they use the same gear drive the PGP does.

londonrain
10-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I think we have had only 1 or 2 PGP's / I-20's bad out of the 1000+ Hunter rotors we have installed this year vs 5 or 6 RB 5000's/5004's out of the 200+ installed.

Duramaxsle1
10-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I have some qualms about touting I-20's as vastly superior, when they use the same gear drive the PGP does.

What about the next to no difference between a RB 5000 and 5000plus?

londonrain
10-20-2007, 11:45 AM
What about the next to no difference between a RB 5000 and 5000plus?
flow stop and green cap vs black....

Duramaxsle1
10-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Exactly!!!!!