PDA

View Full Version : moving piles of asphalt

docholiday
10-14-2007, 09:06 PM
picked up a job building a walkway 100 yards into a low wooded area.
consists of moving asphalt pile and building base of walkway with that.
i will be using an RC 50, what kind of bucket is best for this kind of work?

SiteSolutions
10-14-2007, 09:39 PM
If you have the option available, a rounded back bucket with no teeth would work pretty good with asphalt. Is it hot mix that will be dumped out?

Make sure you oil your bucket periodically with diesel fuel or motor oil to keep the asphalt from sticking.

Dirt Digger2
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM
a bucket with a toothbar or straight edge...if its hot blacktop you're carrying then it doesnt matter, you'll be able to drive into the pile...im not sure what you mean by what type of bucket...obviously you dont want to use a grapple or anything

P.Services
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM
one that can hold material:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

RockSet N' Grade
10-14-2007, 10:07 PM
What we have used is a Hudson bug sprayer ( the hand pump up type ) and lightly coat the inside of the bucket with spray........then carry your material. You will have to spray the bucket periodically to avoid a major mess, by doing this you will have just a manageable mess.

docholiday
10-15-2007, 06:34 AM
probably should have included that intel too.
its a 10000 square foot driveway that was piled 3ft high and about 100 ft. long. gotta move that rubble into the wooded area.
asphalt is 15 years old.
thanks

Dirt Digger2
10-15-2007, 08:27 AM
then you're gonna need something bigger then an RC50...or a trackhoe/backhoe with a hammer and use your little loader to haul it away

RockSet N' Grade
10-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Asphalt is old and piled? Gonna transport that back and make a usable path out of the material? Do I have the picture right now?

docholiday
10-15-2007, 08:39 PM
yes sir you got it rubble pile is about 100 ft from where i start the path.
any in put is greatly appreciated.

RockSet N' Grade
10-15-2007, 08:52 PM
The material is in chunks? Old road removed and piled?

SiteSolutions
10-15-2007, 09:14 PM
If it is already in chunks, just use whatever bucket you have. I've got a 4-in-1 which might be handy but pretty much any bucket ought to be able to move chunks. Old asphalt should crumble up and make a good base for a trail. A heavier machine with steel tracks would be nice but a skid steer should be able to handle it.

Of course, with an ASV, watch your tracks. Make sure you crumble it up and smooth it out good before you walk on it too much.

docholiday
10-16-2007, 06:29 AM
thankyou sir. this sure is a good sight for help. im just a rookie and advice is appreciated.
i also just ordererd a really nice trailer. towmaster 14ft dump traller.
the asv and towmaster dealer is 6 blocks down the street, and ive been networking with them for years. thanks again scott

tallrick
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Definately an old track loader would have been ideal, but you have to work with what you got. Once some friends and I made a short path with broken asphalt using a tamper to break it up and pack it. Use what's handy but definately try and break it up before spreading. Steel tracks with grousers really do the best job.