PDA

View Full Version : Judging a contractor by the materials she specs

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Would you right away judge someone by the type of materials they specified? Let's say I told you I used products that were inferior in quality and less in price because I would do anything to land a job. Would you think that I was doing the customer an injustice and sacrificing principles for the oh mighty dollar? would you think any less of me and not consider me professional? Would you think my skills were inferior because I had to offer the cheap stuff to get a job and I wasn't good enough to sell on my design abilities but had to use cheaper stuff to close? And how about someone who disregards NEC and jimmy rigs connections, cuts corners to save their own buck at the safety of the customer all to make a buck cause they sell on the low end and have to . Would you think that contractor was a hack? Just wondering.

JoeyD
10-14-2007, 11:47 PM
I think that contractor doesnt last as a lighting contractor for very long! To many hacks to compete with. Not enough professionals. Hacks never get word of mouth leads only warnings! Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get a job you want, but that doesnt mean you remain at a low level. You need to build yourself up to being able to sell quality high dollar jobs, and to do that you need to perform the highest quality install with the highest quality products and services. If not your just the other guy, not the go to guy!

You can still do the smaller jobs with the same level of quality as the big ones. If your not willing to give the small job the same treatment why not just walk away and save yourself the grief of returning or not returning to the job once it fails. A hacked job will always fail, its just a matter of when.

pete scalia
10-14-2007, 11:48 PM
if not your just the other guy

lots of those out there.

Pro-Scapes
10-15-2007, 12:21 AM
I think someone rigging things or not following codes (especially if they know they are not folling them) should be judged based on that.

I have speced alluminum fixtures based on a clients budget before. They were given the choice between brass or alluminum and they chose the Kichler AZT line. It just put the system in reach for them. Now if they had asked for me to spec plastic malibus I would of walked away. I dont think judging someone by them using a less expensive fixture is fair unless they are charging the client for a top of the line fixture.

Not everyone can yet sell thier jobs on design and reputation alone... especially at first. We sell ours on service and quality.

Chris J
10-15-2007, 12:32 AM
If every customer could afford the 15k or higher lighting package, there would be no reason to adjust our terms. Fortunately, there are a lot of lower to middle class American citizens who would also love to have a beautiful professional lighting system. How snobby would I be (and really stupid!) to turn down a client willing to spend 3k, when I want them to spend 5k or more?
In my advertising materials, I state "custom designed to fit the client's needs". That slogan means not only quality design, but also quality materials. Every customer will get the highest quality components that their budget will allow. I refuse to turn down my neighbor just because he doesn't dig deep enough into his pockets to satisfy my ego. In my opinion, the person who practices this mentality is the one who will not have longevity in this business.

No offense to anyone.....

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Do you think the CEO of Home Depot is a hack? He sells some inferior products. Some of the products he sells are of less quality than you can find in the specialty stores. I dont think he's a hack. I think he realizes that their is a huge part of the population that can't afford the absolute best in quaility. I think a smart contractor specs the most valuable fixture for the job. If the job calls for Teka...damn introduce me...if it calls for Unique brass cool, if it calls for Unique copper cool, if it calls for kichler 15310azt at least you specified a light that isnt a glare bomb has a 10,000 hour bulb and blends in with the landscape well.

Now when someone goes in a spec a bunch a par36s...thats where I draw the line...just kidding...

Installations though, shouldn't be cut short...so you indeed pose two questions...are you a hack because of the products or your install...the answer is install...this is where contractors can hack...using Teka and hacking in the install makes you a scam artist, not a hack...

NightScenes
10-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I agree, it's the install that makes someone a hack. You can install the best equipment on the market but if your installation is crappy, you might as well be putting in malibu.