PDA

View Full Version : T190 folks and other Bobcat folks

tthomass
10-14-2007, 11:33 PM
My T190 pretends to have an enclosed cab.........if you have a cab on a Bobcat you know what I mean, a cloud of dust trapped inside with you while you work.

My allergies are pretty bad to begin with, heck, used to get 4 shots a week. Today I began really washing it down. Removed the cover over the in cabin air vent, washed out the filter and blew out the outside cabin air filter. Where the air blows out of the two outlets closest to the door, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the chamber that the air flows through. I then took a hose and washed/flushed the system from the inside fan behind your head and everything drained out down by the door where I drilled the holes, pretty nasty really. Clean now!

Also, took the hose to the interior getting all of the ceiling and everything washed down really good. Wish I had some shampoo or carpet cleaner on hadn to really clean the fabrict ceiling/walls better.

While sitting, I don't think it is visable while sitting, but above your feet there is a seem of overlapping metal that runs horizontal from far left to far right. I ran duct tape across it as a temp solution to dust coming inside. I still get dust, but not nearly as much.

What measures have you taken to seal your cab? Did you use silicone or foam or what? I'm really going to tackle it, maybe post pics too, when I get time but at least in the mean time I can breath a little better.

kreft
10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey tthomass, I have the same problem too, and also would like to know how people seal their cabs.

Sorry, I know this is no help at all. So did you ever paint your bobcat blue?

Scag48
10-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Our Cat 277B was the same way, not entirely sealed and dust would make its way into the cab choking you out pretty easy. We were going to silicone the whole cab, but we ended up selling the machine.

tthomass
10-15-2007, 08:37 PM
No I didn't paint it yet. I was tempted this weekend after I gave it a bath but had to get blue cleaned up and my car that I've been neglecting.....love that DMAX.

I picked up new air filters today for the engine from NAPA......$51 should you want to compare. Buzzer is beep'n and beep'n at me from the jobsite we're on. One big dust bowl.

Today though, I could tell a difference from washing out the AC system with water and getting that junk out. No more dusty 'smell' being blown around.......just clean.

SiteSolutions
10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
I blow out the exterior and interior cabin air filters often, especially when working in dusty conditions. I also replace them; I'm on my second set since June and ~300 hours. I am probably going to get a new set at or before the 500 hour service.

I just took a hose to my T-190 yesterday and went over it pretty well. Discovered that the side windows pop out really easy so I cleaned them; now I can see out the sides again. Rinsed and wiped a bunch. Wondered to myself, if I got any water in the air ducts if there were drain holes in them... guess I will drill some next time it gets a good bath.

This summer, I did take off the two metal covers in front of the footwell, clean them well, and apply blue silicone (it's what I had lying around, I'm sure any good caulking would do) before bolting them back in place. Seems to make a slight difference when harley raking or working in seriously dusty conditions. I have seen guys put extra weather stripping all around where the cab contacts the chassis (where it seperates when you lift the cab), I might try that. Might even try tape but I am going to have to have the cab up on it again soon so no tape right now.

Even with the little cloud inside, it beats the big cloud outside!

YellowDogSVC
10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I have somewhat of a solution.
The bottom line is, caulk, duct tape, and weatherstripping. I have run Bobcat enclosed cabs since G series first came out and have brush mowed the whole time. I spend about 3 hours every time I get a new machine sealing the cab. It isn't perfect but it is 100x better than what they sent to me. You have to look everywhere for light. You will see behind bics electrical line a hole or two. You have openings around the cab, too, to the hydraulic compartment and that's just the beginning. the lights leak, the horn is a big one, cover or replace with horn cap and silicone. You have to look under and around windows, behind seat, etc., looking for where dust can enter. Main culprit is under footwells, front cab seal, and horn but lights are 2nd on my the list believe it or not. I even seal up the holes on the sides of the machine to keep dust from entering the hydraulic compartment which can get sucked into a tight cab. Keep a california duster in the cab, wipe up the dust, and bang outside. Also, when you are in a dusty enviroment, wait for the dust to settle before opening the door or at least turn off AC and change the pressure a bit. My cab's stay fairly clean considering what I use them for in dusty texas but i'm always looking for new ways to seal the cab. I also partially covered my clean air filter opening on the back of the cab. Yes, it sucks dust in from there and I still get some fresh air and haven't died yet by doing that.

Hope this helps. Any other ideas?

SiteSolutions
10-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Also, when you are in a dusty enviroment, wait for the dust to settle before opening the door or at least turn off AC and change the pressure a bit... I also partially covered my clean air filter opening on the back of the cab. Yes, it sucks dust in from there and I still get some fresh air and haven't died yet by doing that.

Hope this helps. Any other ideas?

When I have got the outside dusty, I wait for things to settle a bit and then partially open and slam shut the door to knock the loose dust off the door. Wait a few seconds for that to settle then step out. no good if you're in a hurry of course but helps a little.

What do you cover the exterior cabin air filter with? Do you think it would help to put a pre-filter on it? Maybe cut out some foam or sponge material, maybe even soak it in oil? Or a piece of cloth?

Construct'O
10-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Deere ag dealer here has a lot of different rubber weather seals for there tractor cabs that would give options for sealing little to big cracks,holes so forth.

Considering!!!!! the cost wasn't that bad and they had some 3M glue to hold it in place and it worked great.I'm a believier of 3M stuff!!!!!!!

Good luck:usflag:

dozerman21
10-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Deere ag dealer here has a lot of different rubber weather seals for there tractor cabs that would give options for sealing little to big cracks,holes so forth.

Considering!!!!! the cost wasn't that bad and they had some 3M glue to hold it in place and it worked great.I'm a believier of 3M stuff!!!!!!!

Good luck:usflag:

You're spittin' the truth about the 3M.:usflag: They have the best products of anything they make. I bought some weatherstripping that I'm going to use to hopefully block some of the dust. When I get some free time, I want to hit all the places where light gets in, like YellowDog said. If you have a place that you can't see, that expanding foam would probably work good. It can be messy though. It's kind of like Bondo for air.:laugh:

YellowDogSVC
10-15-2007, 11:31 PM
What do you cover the exterior cabin air filter with? Do you think it would help to put a pre-filter on it? Maybe cut out some foam or sponge material, maybe even soak it in oil? Or a piece of cloth?

Just duct tape over the vents on the back of the cab. I leave a few inches so I get fresh air. I have tried the air precleaner cloths like you would have in a house with floor vent registers but they got filthy quickly. I just bang out my inner cab filter or blow it out with the compressor. I usually get dust around the corners of the front of the cab so I know I still have leaks under the front door seal which is a ridiculous fix if you ask me. Bobcat should have put a rubber gasket around the entire cab frame.

When I got my last machine delivered, I could put my fingers through the holes where the cab meets the machine frame. Bobcat obviously doesn't care as I never got a satisfactory answer from anyone when I questioned why my door leaked so bad and the machine wasn't sealed.

YellowDogSVC
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
yeah, forgot about expanding foam. I used lots of that stuff! Don't forget the horn! It's open right to the cab and the gasket doesn't seal.

I wonder how well the new CAT cabs really seal out dirt. Anyone know?

dozerman21
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
yeah, forgot about expanding foam. I used lots of that stuff! Don't forget the horn! It's open right to the cab and the gasket doesn't seal.

I wonder how well the new CAT cabs really seal out dirt. Anyone know?

So far it seem like the Cat cabs are doing great... going by the guys who have ran them.

I've demoed some new dozers with factory cabs, and they're great. I ran them in pure dust clouds and I stayed clean at the end of the day. :cool2: I definetly am not used to that.

YellowDogSVC
10-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Well bobcat has definitely rested on its laurels. I made complaints years ago and they were ignored. You know those little surveys they send you? I think the only time they take it to the top is when someone complains about a dealer.

JDSKIDSTEER
10-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Chances are they are working on the problem. Cat just came out with pressurized cab and I know the others are working their butts off to come up with a cost effective way. Until they pressurize like Cat you will always have a dust issue. The key words here is cost effective.