PDA

View Full Version : Another Christmas Light Story

Chris J
10-15-2007, 12:42 AM
I've got an Uncle who wants to start a Christmas Light Biz. He sent me this website to look at, anybody got any info on them or advice? (Really, it's an Uncle, not me)

http://www.nidagroup.com:80/Course.html

Thanks,

David Gretzmier
10-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Chris- That website looks like a company like myself, maybe older, that has written a book and it is for sale for 500 bucks. If I had to write down everything I knew about Christmas lights, I'd probably want 500 bucks too, but the buyers are few.

The most important thing your Uncle needs to know is this: you only have about a month to make money in the Christmas light Biz. November 1st to December 1st is the absolute money making time. 70% of customers will NOT let you install before Halloween, and those same 70% want to be hung before Thanksgiving. This year that is literally a 22 day window.

SO... You Uncle needs to make the most money in that 21-30 day window. How? you have got to only service the high end, and offer products that no one else has. and get them quickly. I have looked at most, bought from most, and the only game worth playing right now is Holiday Bright Lights. have him call Bruce, get a catalog, buy a sample wreath( 4 foot Noble flat), buy a sample case of Light Links, and wholesale price list ( he does not have to buy a membership). put ads in the local papers and go.

This first year he will get a few jobs, HBL will be available to answer his questions on the phone about bidding installing, etc. and will be worth Thousands of dollars in class time. I learned more on my first two installs than I have in 7 years of class time.

at this point right now, He needs to move quickly to get a uniform, literature in his hands to sell jobs and make him look credible. in 2 weeks he will be too late.

rockytopseahawk
11-08-2010, 02:10 PM
so, today is Nov. 8th. is it too late to get started? i am a landscaper/irrigation co. owner looking for additional revenue. there are many high end areas in my immediate area so there are lots of possible jobs out there. thanks.

Pro-Scapes
11-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Funny I got people now begging me to get the landscape lighting in before holiday parties. I couldnt even fathom it if I had to worry about holiday lighting too.

David Gretzmier
11-10-2010, 11:34 PM
take a look at the posts over on the Christmas trees and holiday lighting side of lawnsite. most posts about Christmas lighting are there. If you get 25-50 yard signs that say "Christmas Lights Installed" and place them at key intersections over the next 3 weeks, the phone will ring and you should be able to pick up some clients this year to get you started. Once you get your feet wet you can go full storm next year.