PDA

View Full Version : did 32 blow outs today.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 04:11 PM
me and the old timer..

boy we cooked it!

We were in 3 towns that spanned a radius of 20 miles.. Most were the average 3-5 zone systems but if everyone was home/water off we could of done 40...

Boss grossed over 1700 in work today with 2 men 1 truck....

whew...

I'm tired..
How was everyone's day?

EagleLandscape
10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
uh oh, someone got the magic touch of the moderator:)

jimmyburg
10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Capt. mabe i missed the post from eariler why, but why dont you start your own company? from reading all your post you seem very well educated on irrigation.

Mike Leary
10-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Boss grossed over 1700 in work today with 2 men 1 truck....

Pikers....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Capt. mabe i missed the post from eariler why, but why dont you start your own company? from reading all your post you seem very well educated on irrigation.

I could..I still have a little more to learn before I start to..
I have down basic design
proper water usage
installation:from bid>pull with the 255>bury sprinks
I can get 90 % of the trouble shooting right off the bat.

I just need 2 more good years of service work>trouble shooting>turn ons/blow outs to say I know enough.

It seems that Where I live there are many Phonies/real tradesmen....
The phonies underbid the tradesmen buy a large amount.Example we charge 12 $ a zone. there is a brazillian renting a ingersolland compressor charging 6$ a zone...NO LIE! I couldn't in a million years compete with that.
I wish someone would walk up to me with a couple hundred accounts and say here, you do the work I give you a percentage.

that would be sweet..

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Pikers....

???

what is a pikers?

jimmyburg
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
dose your state req. lic, with our lic. we have to take ceu and the offer trouble shooting classes.

Mike Leary
10-15-2007, 04:44 PM
???

what is a pikers?

Don't you have a dictionary? It's PIKER..look it up. We charge $80 to $125
for small systems....$160 hr. + surcharge for compressor + fuel after 12
zones. 2 journeymen..two trucks.payup

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 04:46 PM
dose your state req. lic, with our lic. we have to take ceu and the offer trouble shooting classes.

God no...I actually wish they would to get some of this wastefull cr@p out of the ground...I also wish they would be tighter with water regulations and watering black top ect....It will happen eventually i feel.I actually took a course with Ben Fisher on how to pass the Texas LIC test...The numbers are the only thing that could stump me on it...but hey you only need 70% right!!!!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Don't you have a dictionary? It's PIKER..look it up. We charge $80 to $125
for small systems....$160 hr. + surcharge for compressor + fuel after 12
zones. 2 journeymen..two trucks.payup

dude your boss must of loved you!
And if you were the boss why did you leave?

see people around here wont pay that..They would rather have JUAN VALDEZ do it for the half the price...we are about middle as far as HIGH/LOW charges on Cape.

Mike Leary
10-15-2007, 04:57 PM
And if you were the boss why did you leave?.

Boss lost two field leads in a short period, one to meth & the other to bad
breeding that I discovered too late. At age 62, I did not have it in me to
train another..so burned. Hank Reardon came along, had a high end lawn
service, offered to buy me out. Still do my projects, use his help, let him
make the % on parts & labor..works very nice..will do the winterize with
him this year & on the 7th of November..southbound.:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Boss lost two field leads in a short period, one to meth & the other to bad
breeding that I discovered too late. At age 62, I did not have it in me to
train another..so burned. Hank Reardon came along, had a high end lawn
service, offered to buy me out. Still do my projects, use his help, let him
make the % on parts & labor..works very nice..will do the winterize with
him this year & on the 7th of November..southbound.:)

I'm sorry to hear about that...It's hard to come by those who know whats going on in the field...Thats good you found a happy medium.. My buddy ronnie is 67 years old and i think he is going to try and to it till he is 70...Granted I do 99.9% of the hard/labor intensive work, but we have a good time.

You must be excited about this souther venture!!!I tip my cap to it!!!
is there a Mrs. leary that will be joining you?

Mike Leary
10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
is there a Mrs. leary that will be joining you?

30 years of marrige...heavy duty babe..had to be to handle me! Aussie
Shepard "Rosa Rugosa" travels with us in Airstream.:)

zman9119
10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
...They would rather have JUAN VALDEZ do it for the half the price...

Juan Valdez is Colombian, not Brazilian.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Valdezad.jpg

If you wanted someone from Brazil... lets try Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

:) Sorry... its been a long day :dancing:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Juan Valdez is Colombian, not Brazilian.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Valdezad.jpg

If you wanted someone from Brazil... lets try Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

:) Sorry... its been a long day :dancing:

OMFG..........

thank you I needed that!!!

I hope your blow outs are going well.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 07:15 PM
30 years of marrige...heavy duty babe..had to be to handle me! Aussie
Shepard "Rosa Rugosa" travels with us in Airstream.:)

I love that name for a dog..

on the other hand the plant is downright nasty...

DYK its from new jersey?

Wet_Boots
10-15-2007, 07:23 PM
New Jersey and Nasty - perfect together

(go Tribe!!)

BSME
10-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Don't work for yourself.

enjoy getting paid overtime and having time after work to drink beer.

BrandonV
10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
^ haha no joke, my brother "left" the family business for a high paying engineering job (he still helps out w/ cad & computer stuff but he told me one day (after growing up in the family business) "man it feels good, just to go home and you know, not be working." I of course don't know any different so I guess as long as I don't know what its like on the other side I won't be tempted.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
^ haha no joke, my brother "left" the family business for a high paying engineering job (he still helps out w/ cad & computer stuff but he told me one day (after growing up in the family business) "man it feels good, just to go home and you know, not be working." I of course don't know any different so I guess as long as I don't know what its like on the other side I won't be tempted.

HEAR HEAR, Ignorance is bliss for us self employed.

Mike Leary
10-15-2007, 08:58 PM

Well said, thank you Brandon. You've echoed most of us.

EagleLandscape
10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
clock out? a day off? whats that?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-16-2007, 06:19 AM
::calls in::

just kidding..

have a good day everyone.

DanaMac
10-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I once did 30 by myself in one day. Once. Long time ago. Younger, better shape. didn't have to manage the business as much. very long day. No way I could do that now. and I had scheduled the best, tightest route ever. Some homes I would just unhook the hose from one house and drag to the neighbor's house. then pull up 2-3 houses and do it again.

Brett's Cutting Edge
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
I usually do 20-30 a day and it is awsome becasue i am able to make what i do in a week of lawn cutting in a day or so doin sprinklers. In southeast michigan there is alot of peopel that jumped on the bandwagon and figured out it was quick wasy money. i used to get 50 to where now i get 35 for the same house.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-16-2007, 05:10 PM
add another 20 to the list so thats 52 in 2 days...

::slows down::

Wet_Boots
10-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Thirty-Five? Please join with your fellow unlicensed scrubs in a hearty toast with Jonestown Kool-Aid.

(I don't mean you, Chowdah-Boy. Just those buffoons who undercharge, and help cut the industry's collective throat)

Mike Leary
10-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Thirty-Five? Please join with your fellow unlicensed scrubs in a hearty toast with Jonestown Kool-Aid.
(Just those buffoons who undercharge, and help cut the industry's collective throat)

Yep........it's called cutting one's throat & everyone else downstream!:hammerhead:

BSME
10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
I usually do 20-30 a day and it is awsome becasue i am able to make what i do in a week of lawn cutting in a day or so doin sprinklers. In southeast michigan there is alot of peopel that jumped on the bandwagon and figured out it was quick wasy money. i used to get 50 to where now i get 35 for the same house.

sigh.... this is what reputable sprinkler companies in my area deal with.

Why would you ever show up for $35?

Mike Leary
10-16-2007, 07:37 PM

I don't get out of bed for less than $80.00.:)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
sigh.... this is what reputable sprinkler companies in my area deal with.

Just shows you how lousy the profit margin is in lawn maintenance. He thinks he is getting a great profit for his time. I hate it when people who have screwed up their profit margin go screw up somebody elses. I can see how frustrating blowouts can be when these seasonal johnnies show up to make money for one month.

Flow Control
10-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Don't work for yourself.

enjoy getting paid overtime and having time after work to drink beer.

I had an employee leave last year and he took part of a customer list without me knowing at the time. Said he was going to start his own lighting biz and not do any irrigation work. Well I was shutting down a customers house today and low and behold there is the mofo shutting down someone that was a customer last year. I asked him a few questions: 1) If it was his own company 2) How business was. All he said was how hard it was trying to be on his own and how nobody wants to pay enough money.

And as he was turning away I had to ask him one last question: What did it feel like............to steal my customers when he has two kids that he is trying to be a role model for. He just turned and waddled away.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 06:10 AM
I had an employee leave last year and he took part of a customer list without me knowing at the time. Said he was going to start his own lighting biz and not do any irrigation work. Well I was shutting down a customers house today and low and behold there is the mofo shutting down someone that was a customer last year. I asked him a few questions: 1) If it was his own company 2) How business was. All he said was how hard it was trying to be on his own and how nobody wants to pay enough money.

And as he was turning away I had to ask him one last question: What did it feel like............to steal my customers when he has two kids that he is trying to be a role model for. He just turned and waddled away.

wow.....

ZINGGGGGG!

daddy is a thief.

BrandonV
10-17-2007, 07:02 AM
wow that's the best confrontation i can imagine... HAVE A NICE day!

DanaMac
10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
me and the old timer..

boy we cooked it!

We were in 3 towns that spanned a radius of 20 miles.. Most were the average 3-5 zone systems but if everyone was home/water off we could of done 40...

Yeah, but how many phone calls did you handle as well? :) The calling and scheduling is what kills me. Monday I had over 60 calls to manage. Yesterday over 50. Some of these are new calls, some are return calls - phone tag type calls. Looking to get office assistant next year.

BrandonV
10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
rotor doesn't take phone calls... I've tried twice now, just some chick reading off his number to me.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
rotor doesn't take phone calls... I've tried twice now, just some chick reading off his number to me.

He's too busy digging himself out of the trench he dug with Hunter Industries.:laugh:

BrandonV
10-17-2007, 05:40 PM
haha i read that, guess he won't be going over to the supply side anytime soon

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:45 PM
haha i read that, guess he won't be going over to the supply side anytime soon

I e mailed his resume to Lawn Genie & Orbit.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I e mailed his resume to Lawn Genie & Orbit.

ouch..
ML=on fire today.

I admit it was funny/worth it to voice my opinion.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Damn rite..thats as funny as we've had it for a while!:cool: :drinkup:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Damn rite..thats as funny as we've had it for a while!:cool: :drinkup:

:drinkup: to you mike..

Brandon-pm= sent...sorry about not pickup up the phone...Since my boss doesn't provide me with a phone for the blow outs, I use my own to make sure
water is off or the pump breaker is off or some one will be home, or the key is under the brick...So needless to say on a few occasions these home owners have called me after work"make sure things went ok" or to "make sure i locked up after I left".... and the most famous call I have received is "to make sure I got all the pipes drained"..

So doing this has kind of made me not pick up weird numbers....
moral of story is as follows:

my boss=cheap
my minutes on the phone=dwindling
which causes me to not to pick up weird numbers.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:42 PM
which causes me to not to pick up weird numbers.

::After alienating himself to Hunter, ROTAR proceeds to dig himself deeper,
spacing Brandon, who IMHO runs a neat operation in the south:::::dizzy: :hammerhead:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 06:46 PM
::After alienating himself to Hunter, ROTAR proceeds to dig himself deeper,
spacing Brandon, who IMHO runs a neat operation in the south:::::dizzy: :hammerhead:

Mike you are en fueago now...

I'm going to leave a message @ his work office...

or should i just end it right now?

you choose mike...

please select wisely....

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Mike you are en fueago now...

I'm going to leave a message @ his work office...

or should i just end it right now?

you choose mike...

please select wisely....

I think he's a cool guy with a hot operation, check his website...have you
other options?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I think he's a cool guy with a hot operation, check his website...have you
other options?

So far his operation looks the best....I love the fact it's on the east coast, not to far from home...I actually googled tomscreek>left a message @ his office...

I will prob call tomorrow during the work day for another stab @ it....

Every day I tell Ronnie "I'm sick of working up here,I'm going south for the winter and never coming back"

Even if it doesn't pan out with Brandon I'm still going down south with a mattress in my truck/a few tools and shovels and seeing where the wind takes me....I figure if I pay for my AC schooling right now and go down with 2 G's I can last a little while....

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I figure if I pay for my AC schooling right now and go down with 2 G's I can last a little while....

I've gone out with a lot less..never regretted it..go.

BrandonV
10-17-2007, 07:44 PM
haha believe it or not there are a bunch of out of work landscapers in the south right now with all this drought, but I don't think it'll last forever. as for me, when you've been around for 76+ years you'd better be good and busy.
no problem rotor, I do provide phones... or actually 1 man has a vz phone so he gets a stipend. and I too don't give my cell out, frankly you'll drive yourself batty answering phone calls, pay people good money to do that.

Mike Leary
10-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Give ROTAR a tin can & string when he first starts out.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Give ROTAR a tin can & string when he first starts out.

If my current boss gave me even that I would be shocked.

jimmyburg
10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Rotar, by 2009 Texas will have their new irrigation rules in place and all cities, 20,000 plus, will be required to hire a Irrigator Inspector. is that something you would like to do?