PDA

View Full Version : Hyd wheel motor wanted for a scag

firedude26
10-15-2007, 08:32 PM
looking for hyd wheel motor for a scag tiger, any help would be appreciated.

P.Services
10-15-2007, 09:28 PM
go to j thomas in white lake and get one. or jthomas.com

teeca
10-15-2007, 10:42 PM
i just got one from them, you might also need a pump per scag when i called them. said the pump won't take out wheel motor, but a wheel motor will most likly take out a pump... hope this helps

firedude26
10-15-2007, 11:36 PM
what happened is the woodruff key broke, then it tore up the outer shaft, motor turns ok just screwed up the shaft and the hub. hard to believe the mower has 200 hours on it. was hoping to find one cheaper than $500 bones.
scags wont sell just the shaft.

teeca
10-16-2007, 06:57 AM
bummer... we have scags with 5K + hours on them, the meters have quit working, there 9yrs old and still going. granted everything has been replaced several times over and the frames have more welds then a steel building due to stress cracks. had a wheel motor go out last friday and it wiped out the pump. $1000 bucks later back on the road, well turf anyway. good luck

CrewKut
10-16-2007, 02:03 PM
what happened is the woodruff key broke, then it tore up the outer shaft, motor turns ok just screwed up the shaft and the hub. hard to believe the mower has 200 hours on it. was hoping to find one cheaper than $500 bones.
scags wont sell just the shaft.

If this is something that you need to put back in service immediately, then you may have no choice but replace the motor. However, if you can make do with it out of service for a while it may allow for more options. If it is not wrecked too bad, repair may be an option. I used to work at a machine shop and we would do this type of work from time to time. When a machine would break and parts were not available, we had to fix it. Sometimes people would walk in with motors or shafts that were damaged and ask us what to do. Sometimes we could repair them, other times we fabbed a whole new part. We used to love doing this kind of work because it broke up the monotony and was a challenge. We rarely charged more than the cost of materials.

We repaired many shafts like this. Sometimes we would weld the shaft to build it back up and then turn it on a lathe back down to specs and cut a new keyway. If you know someone that works at a machine shop (or even if you don't, go in and introduce yourself), it might pay to check with them. I'm sure they will tell you if it can be repaired or perhaps make a new one. You may be able to trade labor for it and pick up a new customer in the process.

If you do end up replacing the motor, then keep the repaired one as a spare. Hope it all works out well for you.

Dan