PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone

Michael J. Donovan
10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I just wanted to make a statement here in the Landscape Lighting forum for all to read. We do have a great bunch of people here, and we want to continue to build this lighting forum for everyone with the free exchange of ideas and good discussions. I realize that not everyone is going to agree with each other, and you may like some members more than others, but please, let's just all do our best to respect each other.

It is very possible for all to coexist on the forum and act in a professional manner without having to resort to name calling, personal attacks, etc. Also, if there is a problem or you do not get along with another member or feel that you cannot have a civil discussion with another, please utilize the "ignore" feature or try to respond in a manner that is both professional and appropriate.

We do not need this thread to turn into a bashing thread either. This is meant to be a blanket statement in order to continue building this forum in a positive way

JoeyD
10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Keep it Clean, Fun, and Informative!

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Thank you Michael, this forum is much more fun when not having to argue.

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Keep it Clean, Fun, and Informative!

And keep it clean. Please for the kids keep it clean. Thank you

David Gretzmier
10-16-2007, 01:41 AM
many have used the ignore feature here with some success. Mike Gambino is pretty much gone from this forum becuase of it. He had ton's to offer but also took things personally very quickly. so you kinda had to tiptoe around him and be careful how you disagreed with him. even then you were risking his wrath.

when you post here and it seems to generate negative comments consistantly from one person it tends to get on folks nerves who posted in the first place. You can ignore it, and ignore thier posts, threads, but it would be my wish that people would just be respectful. people on here can tell the difference between sincerety and someone just throwing mud.

I'd say also to keep it clean, ( for the kids? I thought this was a business owners website) but then you just need a couple of clicks over to find the swimsuit pictures on this same website.

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 02:05 AM
many have used the ignore feature here with some success. Mike Gambino is pretty much gone from this forum becuase of it. He had ton's to offer but also took things personally very quickly. so you kinda had to tiptoe around him and be careful how you disagreed with him. even then you were risking his wrath.

when you post here and it seems to generate negative comments consistantly from one person it tends to get on folks nerves who posted in the first place. You can ignore it, and ignore thier posts, threads, but it would be my wish that people would just be respectful. people on here can tell the difference between sincerety and someone just throwing mud.

I'd say also to keep it clean, ( for the kids? I thought this was a business owners website) but then you just need a couple of clicks over to find the swimsuit pictures on this same website.

I meant the young ens who might be in the room while mommy and daddy are reading or posting here who may get a gander at the computer screen. That Gambino , he may have been before my time. too bad he was a real hot head and overall one bad unsavory dude. Anyway he got what was coming to him. Your atta here buster. At least we still have Eden. Does anyone live east of Eden?

irrig8r
10-16-2007, 02:17 AM
...<snip>...That Gambino , he may have been before my time. too bad he was a real hot head and overall one bad unsavory dude. Anyway he got what was coming to him. Your atta here buster. ...<snip>...

I've been busy with sprinklers and away from this part of lawnsite.com for a while. Sounds like I missed something... cuz last time I browsed around here Mr. Gambino was still contributing a lot... Anyone care to PM me and fill me in with a short version of what Pete is talking about?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-16-2007, 02:17 AM
but then you just need a couple of clicks over to find the swimsuit pictures on this same website.

Huh? really? where? Is there an irrigation manufacturer with photos of swimsuit models running under some spray heads or something?

pete scalia
10-16-2007, 02:21 AM
I've been busy with sprinklers and away from this part of lawnsite.com for a while. Sounds like I missed something... cuz last time I browsed around here Mr. Gambino was still contributing a lot... Anyone care to PM me and fill me in with a short version of what Pete is talking about?

Maybe they can post it here cause I'd like to know too.

irrig8r
10-16-2007, 02:41 AM
Well, it looks like Mike's most recent post was on 8/16. But I don't have the time to look through to see where he upset anyone... in fact, Mike seems to like rocking the boat... so finding just that one post that "broke the camel's back" might be difficult...

I've learned a few things from listening to Mike... he's not a bad guy, he just has a few strongly expressed opinions....

:hammerhead:

It's a matter of style more than substance...

irrig8r
10-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Huh? really? where? Is there an irrigation manufacturer with photos of swimsuit models running under some spray heads or something?

Well, if it's a secret it's not very well kept. It's in the Off-Topic forum under 2007 Calendar Girls.... something like that.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170468

I ran across it once a few weeks ago...

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Well there goes my productivity!!! geez...nobody even bothered coming back to the lighting forum after that!!!

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Man I had to bail last night. My brain was about to expode, I must say it was fun!!

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Man I had to bail last night. My brain was about to expode, I must say it was fun!!

That's where I thought your brain was Joey!! LOL

JoeyD
10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
LOL....I was in rare form. I just couldnt get enough of all this good stuff. We were having such great convo on the Par 36 Lamps, Thread starters, AOLP, we were firing on all cylinders! When I got into the office at 6 this morning I couldnt wait to see what I had missed.

Chris J
10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Dear Mr. Michael J. Donovan and the Moderator Family:
Since you and your staff insist on deleting practically every post that I and others submit, I would appreciate it if you could give us a few guidelines on what we can or can not say on this forum. We have tried to tip-toe around sensitive issues, yet we still have a voice and think that others should hear our opinion on certain matters. Even when we are polite, and do not mention names, our posts are still deleted. Is there someone or something that is causing you to do this? As I said in an earlier post (that was deleted) it is very aggravating when one can't express his own opinion in a polite and calm manner when this type of censorship exists.
Again, it would be helpful if you could tell us what we are not allowed to say. Lately, I am assuming that I am not allowed to say anything as it will be deleted. If this is the case, please let me know.
I would also appreciate your response here, and not by PM. I'd like everyone else to also know what the limitations are as I know they are frustrated as well.

Sean Adams
10-22-2007, 05:00 PM
I will address.....I will make it very short and simple....this is a landscape lighting forum....discuss landscape lighting here.....if there is a member you do not like, then ignore him and do not post about him or insinuate things about him etc.... if you want to discuss anything other than landscape lighting, do it in the off topic forum or not at all.....this isn't difficult.

Chris J
10-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Yes it is difficult when you have someone, who no one knows anything about, insulting everyone else! Would you ignore me if I were constantly saying derogatory things about you and your business? I think not.

irrig8r
10-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Sean, whoever has been doing the deleting in the last 24 hours has been rather ham-handed about it.

My comments, that were not intended to offend, were deleted from a couple of different lighting threads. I don't want to rehash, but I'd only ask that before you start wiping out parts of threads that leave other parts kind of disconnected, could you at least send a warning to those whose posts are considered offensive?

And, as I've suggested in different forums here, how about extending the time we are allowed to edit our own messages? Sometimes a deep breath and a little time to reflect will change the way one might have expressed himself.

Ideally, we might all do that BEFORE we send, but it doesn't always work that way.

Chris J
10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I would be willing to contribute a significant dollar amount to fund a private section of this forum to be used as a "chat room" of sorts. A no-holds-barred part of the lighting forum where members only could discuss the topics of their choice; good or bad. I'm sure several of the others would contribute as well. Of course I would insist that each member would be a verified lighting professional, and not just any passer-by. Your thoughts Sean?

Sean Adams
10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Sean, whoever has been doing the deleting in the last 24 hours has been rather ham-handed about it.

My comments, that were not intended to offend, were deleted from a couple of different lighting threads. I don't want to rehash, but I'd only ask that before you start wiping out parts of threads that leave other parts kind of disconnected, could you at least send a warning to those whose posts are considered offensive?

And, as I've suggested in different forums here, how about extending the time we are allowed to edit our own messages? Sometimes a deep breath and a little time to reflect will change the way one might have expressed himself.

Ideally, we might all do that BEFORE we send, but it doesn't always work that way.

Gregg,

I agree with you - a deep breath would be nice....hard to do, even for me at times...I'm not pointing any fingers here, I mean that.

The problem with the mods being selective in terms of editing is simple....if there is a thread with 20 posts for example and there is one or two posts that don't fit or may cause problems then those posts should be removed....but if you have a 20 post thread and 11 of the 20 are out of line or causing problems, the whole thread is going to get yanked.

Sean Adams
10-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I would be willing to contribute a significant dollar amount to fund a private section of this forum to be used as a "chat room" of sorts. A no-holds-barred part of the lighting forum where members only could discuss the topics of their choice; good or bad. I'm sure several of the others would contribute as well. Of course I would insist that each member would be a verified lighting professional, and not just any passer-by. Your thoughts Sean?

So you are saying a private, paid landscape lighting section where anything can be said and discussed, with entry being a fee and verification of certification, etc....?

Chris J
10-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Absolutely. Entry would require some type of verification in the biz, and proof of identity ie, driver's license, state license, certification, etc.. The point is that everyone would know exactly who they are talking to, and not a ghost or impersonator. I'll be the first to sign in. Would this be a viable and profitable solution to our dilemma?
Oh, I forgot to mention that a full and complete profile should be filled out so that everyone could investigate if they so chose. (I'm sure you already understood this, but I wanted to make sure)

Mike M
10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
That Chris guy makes a good point, guys aren't this rude when hanging out at the pub after work when they can see each other face to face. Or at least if they are, we all laugh and nobody starts crying.

Better idea: do everything he said but don't charge us, I'd be willing to give my business license, along with true mailing address, permitting you to distribute my name on a list to green industry businesses.

Keep in mind, I'm just starting in this biz, you may not care what I think.

Chris J
10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
That Chris guy? You're a trip. Unfortunatley there are costs associated with creating a service like this. I'm positive it would be a hit, but the cost associated with entry would be a factor in the sucess of it. I'm anxious to know what Sean can come up with, and what the final numbers will be. Would any of you guys be interested in having a private part of the forum....Never mind, time to start a new thread.

steveparrott
10-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I agree that sometimes the deleting of posts is questionable. In the statue lighting forum, I posted a pic of bare buxom bronze mermaid statue that was lit and photographed beautifully - it was deleted in a few minutes.

If Sean felt that the users in this forum would be offended by such a photo then I don't think he knows us very well.

Mike M
10-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Sounds like one for the 2008 Landscape Lighting Calendar Thread.

David Gretzmier
10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
I think a private forum would be great, but I want it shielded from google. I don't know if that is possible.