PDA

View Full Version : ?????am I On Track????

milsaps118
10-15-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm blowing out on average 6-8 zone systems. For 6 zones it's taking me about 20-25min and on 8 zones about 30-35min. Thats from the time I get out of the truck to the time I get back in and leave, I'm also solo. 95% of the time I have to go inside to find the shut off. Am I on pace or on the slow side? I'm also jumping usually 2 zones at a time and am going to try 3-4 tomorrow. I'm running a 185CFM, is this enough to do 4 zones at once?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
what is the average amout of GPM per zone?

many heads?
it takes us about 2 mins a zone with 12 gpm zones average off of 3/4 and 1' pipe with the average of 5 pgp's per zone, with a 40 cfm skid mount.

milsaps118
10-15-2007, 10:28 PM
what is the average amout of GPM per zone?

many heads?
it takes us about 2 mins a zone with 12 gpm zones average off of 3/4 and 1' pipe with the average of 5 pgp's per zone, with a 40 cfm skid mount.

I would say 12-20 gpm/zone. Most are Hunter PGP or I20 w/3.0-4.0 nozzles at 4-5 heads /zone. Most systems I'm doing are installed w/1" pipe, some of the bigger systems w/1-1/2". I try to do 3-4min per zone but I think I'm letting 'em go closer to 5min. I timed it at 2min/zone and didn't think that was long enough.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
I would say 12-20 gpm/zone. Most are Hunter PGP or I20 w/3.0-4.0 nozzles at 4-5 heads /zone. Most systems I'm doing are installed w/1" pipe, some of the bigger systems w/1-1/2". I try to do 3-4min per zone but I think I'm letting 'em go closer to 5min. I timed it at 2min/zone and didn't think that was long enough.

IMHO you only need 80% of the water out..
::hides::

milsaps118
10-15-2007, 10:39 PM
IMHO you only need 80% of the water out..
::hides::

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just get so friggin nervous that if there still enough water to freeze and burst the pipe that its going to come back and haunt me next spring. I keep blowing until I can hardly see the water vapors blasting out then I move on to the next 2 zones.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-15-2007, 10:41 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just get so friggin nervous that if there still enough water to freeze and burst the pipe that its going to come back and haunt me next spring. I keep blowing until I can hardly see the water vapors blasting out then I move on to the next 2 zones.

Try 1 otherwise for an expirment..

I know a installer/owner of a big comapny that only drained his backflow ever year.here anyway..never a problem..

just try it.

Mjtrole
10-15-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm blowing out on average 6-8 zone systems. For 6 zones it's taking me about 20-25min and on 8 zones about 30-35min. Thats from the time I get out of the truck to the time I get back in and leave, I'm also solo. 95% of the time I have to go inside to find the shut off. Am I on pace or on the slow side? I'm also jumping usually 2 zones at a time and am going to try 3-4 tomorrow. I'm running a 185CFM, is this enough to do 4 zones at once?

If your are using a working compressor you should be able to do 4 at a time if these are 8 zones with say 4 rotors per zone 12 sprays per zone type of houses. I winterize a 9 hole golf course with a 185 so it's got plenty of push. It also might be easier and less time consuming to pop the valve boxes off and do it manually.

Also, if you don't use a hose reel look into getting one if you don't use one keep the one side of the hose hooked up to the compressor and run it up the tongue into the pickup or the van window if that is what you are using.

Take a good look at getting tags made for the sprinkler shutoff valves and next year have the customer shut the valves off so they don't have to be home. All of our customers, besides the very elderly ones, shut the water off for us because they realize that the faster we go the longer we can keep our prices down at a reasonable rate.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-16-2007, 06:20 AM
If your are using a working compressor you should be able to do 4 at a time if these are 8 zones with say 4 rotors per zone 12 sprays per zone type of houses. I winterize a 9 hole golf course with a 185 so it's got plenty of push. It also might be easier and less time consuming to pop the valve boxes off and do it manually.

Also, if you don't use a hose reel look into getting one if you don't use one keep the one side of the hose hooked up to the compressor and run it up the tongue into the pickup or the van window if that is what you are using.

Take a good look at getting tags made for the sprinkler shutoff valves and next year have the customer shut the valves off so they don't have to be home. All of our customers, besides the very elderly ones, shut the water off for us because they realize that the faster we go the longer we can keep our prices down at a reasonable rate.

well said.::tips hat::

Greenguy1
10-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Just make sure the homeowner opens the lower ball valve on the bac-flo if they turn off after you blow out, water is trapped in the hole of the valve and will push out the side of the valve when it freezes. I replaced several last year due to this problem, one I refused to replace and lost his account this year, he hires scab mowers so don't really care, let his mower take care of his sprinkler sys. bet he can't and won't

DanaMac
10-16-2007, 07:36 AM
If you are having to go inside and shut down the water, and also talk with the customer and get a check, then that is typical. If the water is off and you don't need to even ring the doorbell, you're slow. On a 6-8 zone system, if there is a blow out port, 1/2" or 3/4" thread, I can show up, blow out, and be gone in 10-15 minutes if I don't meet with the owner. if I have to go thru the testcock valve, 15-25 minutes. Add 10-15 minutes for dealing with customer.

We need to remember though, this is a service oriented, customer service business. You wouldn't just drop your truck off and not talk to the mechanic about what's wrong. But yes, it would make it so much easier if the water was off and never had to meet with anyone.

Ground Master
10-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I've actually timed alot of my blowouts this year so that I can schedule them tighter.

14 to 23 minutes from getting out of van to driving off to next one. Biggest system has only been 8 zones so far. I've had to shut them all off inside except one or two.

This is with a 30cfm machine. Hose reel helps a little too.

I've been routing/scheduling them at 40 minute intervals, unless they are close together (30 minutes in that case).

And , like Dana eluded too RENTALS are a pain to schedule. They all want 5pm time slots and/or weekends. On a side note I've been amazed at how MESSY/DIRTY alot of the rental homes are. Many of them are middle to upper class homes too.

Mike Leary
10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Do most of you have quick couples with the same key hooked uo to the
compressor? Seems like a few of you are taking too long..is it the hook up
or are you blowing too much air?

milsaps118
10-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Do most of you have quick couples with the same key hooked uo to the
compressor? Seems like a few of you are taking too long..is it the hook up
or are you blowing too much air?

My hose connections are all the same. I leave 100' hooked up at all times but have to pull it all back into the bed by hand when I'm done (no hose reel), Also, I think I blowing to much on some of these.

I was way faster today, 10-12 zone systems I was in and out in under 20min. thats going inside shutting down H2O, and collecting the check when I was done. 6-8 zone systems in and out in about 15min. I got smarter and made a 4 wire jumper (Mjtrole had mentioned) and was blasting 20 heads out at a time. I did 6 houses on a 1 blk stretch and finished just under 1.5hrs(had to shut down H2O and collect on all). Some of the things that I have to do tack on about 2-3 min of xtra time per job. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get it all down to a science and see how much quicker I can get.

Mike Leary
10-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to try to get it all down to a science and see how much quicker I can get.

Don't go too fast..keep a eye out for air bubbles indicating cracks/breaks.
Check heads for wiper seal failures..you want winter/spring work & the system operating at max potential.:)

milsaps118
10-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Don't go too fast..keep a eye out for air bubbles indicating cracks/breaks.
Check heads for wiper seal failures..you want winter/spring work & the system operating at max potential.:)

I take notice of all the places I blow out, and so far I'm guessing I already have a solid 2 days of service work for next Spring. I always take notes if I see something wrong and at the end of the day I call the customer (if there not home when I'm there) and notify them of what I find wrong. 10 times out of 10 they ask if I can fix it for them next year.

Mike Leary
10-16-2007, 07:12 PM
I take notice of all the places I blow out, and so far I'm guessing I already have a solid 2 days of service work for next Spring. I always take notes if I see something wrong and at the end of the day I call the customer (if there not home when I'm there) and notify them of what I find wrong. 10 times out of 10 they ask if I can fix it for them next year.

Yep...good for you..just don't get too busy to do those little repairs.
(Never happened to me:rolleyes: )