PDA

View Full Version : Best wall washer

irrigatingguy
10-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Can you guys tell me what you think the best wall washer is? I have used the Kichler 15361AZT. What about just a wide flood instead? What is the right bulb for washing lighter colored walls? Should the wide floods have a hood or not? Thanks for helping a new guy out.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
I really like the light output of the kim KLV215...or the Unique Stellar or starburst...

NightScenes
10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I really like the Kichler 15396 and 15385 for a wash light.

Lightscapes
10-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Another vote for the Kim KLV215. The optional barn doors are a great addition for glare control.

Pro-Scapes
10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Now ones to stay away from. While I admire the cast line and thier quality I gotta say thier was light is about best used to light your sign on a job. Its unadjustable and often times the desired angle places the stake at an unacceptable angle so its NOT sturdy in the ground. Once cast puts a knuckle on it like the bullets we got a winner.

The Kichler paul mentioned are good but pay particular attn to the stellar and starburst lights. I have not used the kim was lights but if they are anything like thier other fixtures they are super robust and built like a tank altho with thier price tag they will not be for everyone.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-16-2007, 12:20 PM
For Soft wall washing techniques I would recommend the Nightscaping Softliter, and MiniWashliter. They are very nice copper fixtures using miniature lamps and have accessory glare shields available.

For larger wall washing and flood lighting I like the Vista GR5103 and GR5212. I will use the Hadco WAML14A on occassion too but they have socket issues in the long run (like most hadco products!)

Have a great day.

irrigatingguy
10-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Paul - which do you use for wall washing residential homes - like some of the ones on your website? Beautiful website, by the way

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Paul - which do you use for wall washing residential homes - like some of the ones on your website? Beautiful website, by the way

Thank you. For smaller areas I use a bullet light (Kichler 15384). For areas that are a little wider I will go to the 15396 and for even wider areas I will use the 15385. It's pretty much a judgement call on each project depending on the building materials and the size of the area I need to cover.

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Thank you. For smaller areas I use a bullet light (Kichler 15384). For areas that are a little wider I will go to the 15396 and for even wider areas I will use the 15385. It's pretty much a judgment call on each project depending on the building materials and the size of the area I need to cover.

Not being familiar with that fixture, I Googled the Kichler 15384. Seems like they are readily available to the public online with prices ranging from $40 to $55 ea. and use an MR-16.

For a "wash-light" I'm thinking more subtle. As an example, check out the FX SI-5/ SI-10/ SI 20.

http://www.fxl.com/products/documents/11568891292912712.pdf

One could use the FX RS series with a frosted lens, but it just depends on the light level you're trying to achieve.

http://www.fxl.com/products/documents/11568873402908735.pdf

I've never installed a Kichler fixture, so I don't know how they hold up... but my supplier has told me about problems with regards to parts availability and warranty issues...

This fixture looks equivalent, and is probably in the same price range. That's why I'm making a comparison.

Unlike so many other brands of powder-coated aluminum fixtures I've either installed or encountered in the field (incl. Hadco, Vista, Nightscaping, Lumiere, and Focus) especially in wet locations, FX is the absolute standout winner as far as my never having had to replace a fixture based on finish or materials failure.

As far as I'm concerned, when I want a powder coated aluminum fixture, FX is the first place I look, despite all the silly Italian names that sound like the owner or marketing people got over their heads into a bottle of Chianti late one night.... :)

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Our 2 most popular floodlights!

Stellar-B25-20-WB
Perfect for wall washing smaller architecture and plant material. Comew w/ a 20w Xelogen lamp and a designer lens pack including frosted, liner and dimpled spreads. Stake, and 25ft of brown 16/2 pre fitted to the fixture as well. Solid brass construction, LIFE TIME WARRANTY regardless of what ever products you use in conjunction.
http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/STELLAR.htm
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/stellar.jpg

Starburst-B25-35-WB
Perfect for wall waching and uplighting where you need a broader more powerfull light. The Starburst comes with a 35w Xelogen lamp for that softer sread lighting. This lamp would plug into the side mounted socket. The Starburst aslo comes with a 35w FMW MR16 for use when you need more pop! Order the Starburst w/ a 20w lamp if you desire a less intense light. It also comes with a designer lens pack including Frosted, linear and Dimpled spread lenses. It too has a 25ft brown 16/2 cable attached and a stake.
http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/STARBURST.htm
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/starburst.jpg

Again both lights are life time warrantied and come with lamps and lenes you need to obtain your desired effect. It doesnt get a whole lot better when it comes to wall waching fixtures, cheaper but not better.

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Not being familiar with that fixture, I Googled the Kichler 15384. Seems like they are readily available to the public online with prices ranging from $40 to $55 ea. and use an MR-16.

For a "wash-light" I'm thinking more subtle. As an example, check out the FX SI-5/ SI-10/ SI 20.

http://www.fxl.com/products/documents/11568891292912712.pdf

One could use the FX RS series with a frosted lens, but it just depends on the light level you're trying to achieve.

http://www.fxl.com/products/documents/11568873402908735.pdf

I've never installed a Kichler fixture, so I don't know how they hold up... but my supplier has told me about problems with regards to parts availability and warranty issues...

This fixture looks equivalent, and is probably in the same price range. That's why I'm making a comparison.

Unlike so many other brands of powder-coated aluminum fixtures I've either installed or encountered in the field (incl. Hadco, Vista, Nightscaping, Lumiere, and Focus) especially in wet locations, FX is the absolute standout winner as far as my never having had to replace a fixture based on finish or materials failure.

As far as I'm concerned, when I want a powder coated aluminum fixture, FX is the first place I look, despite all the silly Italian names that sound like the owner or marketing people got over their heads into a bottle of Chianti late one night.... :)

This is not personal but I do need to say something here in regards to the Kichler warranty because I DO use the product and therefore have first hand knowledge of it.

I have NEVER had a warranty issue with ANY Kichler product and don't know anyone who has. I talk to CONTRACTORS all over the country and have yet to find one who has had any complaints about the Kichler product warranty. I can see that a distributor or manufacturer of another product might say something negative because they want to sell THEIR product lines. I have personally installed thousands of Kichler products. I have had to replace a few (less than 25) and have never even been questioned. They just gave me a BRAND NEW one. On the other hand, I have had an issue with an FX fixture where they told me that I had to send it in for repair. (I still haven't done it because I just haven't gotten to it.) Why not just give me a new one like Kichler? With the Kichler product you really don't need parts because they will just give you a new fixture.

Anyway, I just thought that someone who actually uses the product should say something.

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 03:35 PM
I cant speak for FX nor would I, but I can say for us Paul, we always have to get the fixture in question back if it cannot be repaired in the field with us sending out a new part. The reason is because we have people who will take advantage of the life time warranty, take the lights into the distributor, tell them the lights are broken, they dont check, they give the contractor new lights, then we get back lights from the distributor that are issued credit only to find out that the contractor only had burnt out lamps!!! We get hosed beucase now we are stuck with perfectly good fixtures we cant sell, on top of that we just gave the distributor full credit and the contractor just got brand new lights for free.

So we request the light back, as our policy states it is for repair or replacement. We get it back here and asses it and in most cases will replace with a new one. Now when we have contractors who we have worked with and know that do everything possible to not have to remove the light we make exceptions and will get you the light so that you do not have much down time. But we have to protect ourselves from being stcuk with a bunch of perfectly good non resellable products.

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Point taken Joey. Did you get my email today?

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 04:17 PM
You know Paul, I did not??????

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
This is not personal but I do need to say something here in regards to the Kichler warranty because I DO use the product and therefore have first hand knowledge of it.

I have NEVER had a warranty issue with ANY Kichler product and don't know anyone who has. I talk to CONTRACTORS all over the country and have yet to find one who has had any complaints about the Kichler product warranty. I can see that a distributor or manufacturer of another product might say something negative because they want to sell THEIR product lines. I have personally installed thousands of Kichler products. I have had to replace a few (less than 25) and have never even been questioned. They just gave me a BRAND NEW one. On the other hand, I have had an issue with an FX fixture where they told me that I had to send it in for repair. (I still haven't done it because I just haven't gotten to it.) Why not just give me a new one like Kichler? With the Kichler product you really don't need parts because they will just give you a new fixture.

Anyway, I just thought that someone who actually uses the product should say something.

Well, my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that there simply are no parts available and that the fixtures are manufactured in China. the distributor I mentioned is not Ewing, and had no axe to grind with Kichler.

I'll ask him again what the issue was, but the way I recall it was warranty-related and he was waiting for replacement fixtures months later.. I'll try to find out and let you know here tomorrow. As I understood it, he stopped selling their product because they weren't backing it up.

Could it be something simple like maybe the rep. he deals with is not as competent as the one you deal with?

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I cant speak for FX nor would I, but I can say for us Paul, we always have to get the fixture in question back if it cannot be repaired in the field with us sending out a new part. The reason is because we have people who will take advantage of the life time warranty, take the lights into the distributor, tell them the lights are broken, they dont check, they give the contractor new lights, then we get back lights from the distributor that are issued credit only to find out that the contractor only had burnt out lamps!!! We get hosed beucase now we are stuck with perfectly good fixtures we cant sell, on top of that we just gave the distributor full credit and the contractor just got brand new lights for free.

So we request the light back, as our policy states it is for repair or replacement. We get it back here and asses it and in most cases will replace with a new one. Now when we have contractors who we have worked with and know that do everything possible to not have to remove the light we make exceptions and will get you the light so that you do not have much down time. But we have to protect ourselves from being stcuk with a bunch of perfectly good non resellable products.

Makes perfectly good sense to me... Same reason Nightscaping requires distributors to bench test transformers before sending them in under warranty.

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Could it be something simple like maybe the rep. he deals with is not as competent as the one you deal with?

This could be it. On occasions that I've had, my distributor just picked up the fixture (or fixtures) in question while making a delivery and gave me credit for the units. If I needed a new fixture, they just brought one with them for the exchange.

As for parts, Kichler does have a parts kit that can be had. I find it much easier to just replace the fixture with a brand new one. This takes much less time than a repair and the client loves the idea of getting a new fixture instead of a repair.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Gregg,
I would think that there is some underlying problem with either the rep or the people at the distributorship. I've also used Kichler products for 8 years, and the trouble you are describing is amazing to me. The folks at Kichler have always bent over backwards to satisfy my needs and have really gone too far at times. The parts thing used to be kind of a problem as we couldn't easily acquire parts. Kichler's remedy was to provide whole fixtures instead of just the part. We now have a full parts list, and we can stock just about any part for any fixture Kichler supplies. They will still replace whole fixtures "no questions asked" but it is sometimes easier to carry replacement parts on your truck and repair the fixture in the field while you are there.
Again, I don't know who you have been talking to but I really think they need to get in touch with Mike Southard to discuss their problems. I assure you the problems will be fixed pronto.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I think it comes down to the competence of the distributor...I've tested many good fixtures that come back as bad...I always test anything coming back...I never make anyone feel like its a burden just making sure its the fixture and not something else in the system...guys love it...now...I supply fixtures all over the world and can't do that for everyone...so there are items I field destroy without testing and kichler, hadco, anyone has never given me grief about the credit and I've never given a contractor grief...I like field destroy so Joey, look inot it and I would suggest charging your distributor a fee for sending a good item back or a blown bulb and they'll learn their lesson...the reps need to put their foot down!

I fly to houston twice a year to look at RMA material from a guy i know there...awww shucks...its just an excuse...but talk about an area where aluminum gets eaten alive...no aluminum in houston!!!!