PDA

View Full Version : The Zahn

mikecaldwell1204
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Has anyone on here seen the Zahn that ditchwitch came out with? It looks pretty sweet.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Link please I'm curious and too lazy to hunt for it.

Mjtrole
10-16-2007, 06:13 PM
http://www1.ditchwitch.com/equipment.asp?equid=32

Kinda rinky dinky for sprinklers but doesn't look too bad for some small landscape work, the 420sx sure looks nice though

Mike Leary
10-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Dingo...look out!

bobw
10-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Interesting... wonder how much difference you'd find between these and the mini-skids.

JeffY
10-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Our ditch witch representative stopped by the other day and gave us a brochure of this. He did this because we have been dropping our 255sx off at the shop repeatedly because it is vibrating itself apart and things are breaking too frequently. It has over 420 hours and he says that's about the limit for these 255sx. I sure would like to demo one for a little while before we commit to getting one. We have a 410 by the way for the bigger jobs we do, but we do do small residential homes that I feel the 410 is just way too big for.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Our ditch witch representative stopped by the other day and gave us a brochure of this. He did this because we have been dropping our 255sx off at the shop repeatedly because it is vibrating itself apart and things are breaking too frequently. It has over 420 hours and he says that's about the limit for these 255sx. I sure would like to demo one for a little while before we commit to getting one. We have a 410 by the way for the bigger jobs we do, but we do do small residential homes that I feel the 410 is just way too big for.

420 hours? I'm not a trencher expert but if it runs two hours a day that is only going to give you 210 days use. What am I missing?

JeffY
10-16-2007, 10:53 PM
We have had this machine for 5 years that we picked up from a company we bought out. I don't quite remember off the top of my head how old the machine is, but I believe it had around 200 hours. Now you and I can take care of the machines we use, but how do we know if our employees are taking care of it the same way? I left for vacation two seperate times this summer for a week each and both times when I came back, the machine was in the shop. First time, hydraulic line busted loose and squirted the operator in the eye. He lost his sight for a day and then had a moncromatic vision for about a month. He has recovered. The second time, the whole back end of the plow that the blade is attached to just fell and they had to have two guys hold up the back end while driving it onto the trailer to take to the shop.
Our company has had a hard time dealing with equipment breakdowns that we have had to resort to witholding pay if we felt it was negligent such as no oil in the machines.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Almost seems worth the inconvenience to rent. One of the reasons I decided full time service was more profitable than installation was the elimination of the heavy equipment expense. I can see how that trencher can 1000 dollar you broke. Not factoring in health claims from hydraulic fluid blinding and insurance.

Dirty Water
10-18-2007, 01:07 AM
420 hours is ridiculous. Is it diesel or gas?

If its a diesel, 420 hours is barely broken in on the engine. DW has seriously gone down in quality if the rest of the unit still isn't in good shape.

We had one trencher that was starting to nickel and dime us at about 1300 hours, but its past life was at a rental yard, and you know the abuse they get.

JeffY
10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
It is gas. It really isn't the motor that we are having problems with but mainly broken hydraulic lines, parking brake keeps breaking even though we are using it correctly, hydraulic filter vibrated itself lose and got a gash resulting in hydraulic fluids all over the clients grass. Fortunately it happened behind a shed so they don't really notice it. I love the 255, but to have to keep taking it in every month or so because of something is not kosher.

Wet_Boots
10-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Do a lot of work in clay and rocks? How well-maintained are the blades? I recall a demo of a Ditch-Witch VP-12 (or later model of same design) I expected to do miserably in heavy soil, but the salesman had a brand new blade on the thing, and it pulled 2-inch poly without a strain. Most plow blades I see are well-worn, and that makes the plow work harder.

Dirty Water
10-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Do a lot of work in clay and rocks? How well-maintained are the blades? I recall a demo of a Ditch-Witch VP-12 (or later model of same design) I expected to do miserably in heavy soil, but the salesman had a brand new blade on the thing, and it pulled 2-inch poly without a strain. Most plow blades I see are well-worn, and that makes the plow work harder.

We ran a VP-12 for almost 15 years. Going through three motors before the machine itself was just tired.

We then parked it for a 410, but kept it around for tight pulls.

Great machine.

BrandonV
10-18-2007, 07:28 PM
this thing looks cool, i like the articulation...

JeffY
10-18-2007, 11:31 PM
That's the weird thing. At the start of this season I got a new blade put on it. Sure pulls with ease now. Just more breakdowns. We rarely run into rocks and clay up here, it's pretty much old farmland that's being turned into housing developments. This year we haven't really focused on smaller residentials that we usually do but athletic fields or high end residentials. Like I said, I can't vouch for how the guys are using it because I'm not always on site, but I know we've spent pretty big bucks this year on repairs for it.