PDA

View Full Version : fall clean-up

mow town
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
If I'm charging $60. for a mowing that takes 1 hour, how much should I be charging to collect the grass with a bagger?

Now that the leaves are falling customers want their lawns looking clean. How much more can you charge for mowing and bagging grass and leaves?
Have to take into consideration I will probably have to cart the waste off for disposal. I need some advice.

carcrz
10-16-2007, 09:18 PM
depends on the quantity & how much cost you have involved in time & disposal of the extra debris.

dominion Lawns
10-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Yes, the customer wants an extra service, you charge them for it. The standards in our industry should not be less than others.

mow town
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks Dominion. I'm looking for what someone like yourself would charge for (1) Bagging grass vs. just a mowing; (2) Bagging grass, because grass is still growing, but now we're bagging the leaves that are falling also. So it seems obvious each step before a full fall clean-up would mean additional labor for equipment and us. Can someone give me an example what you charge for a situation like this? I wouldn't think this to be an uncommon practice. I want to be fair to the customer and myself.

mow town
10-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Listen! I know I should charge more for bagging but some guys in my area aren't. Not having the knowledge and experience I'm looking for what help this fraternity can provide. So hypothetically: You have a lawn you mow for $60. and it takes 1hr. You now bag the grass and it takes .5hr. more. So let's say you now charge $90. and you have to cart the grass off. Am I in line?

Now, I'm mowing & bagging grass & leaves and taking 2.5hrs. I feel me and the equipment are working harder which makes me wonder just doubling my mowing price may not be enough. Does anyone have a similar situation? And how do you price it?
And

naughty62
10-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Here is were you will learn about staying in communications with your regular customers.some people want one mow/leaf removal,some will pay for a mow then a end of the season one time leaf clean-up and other will not tolerate a single leaf drift on thier property.but if you dont talk to them face to face if possible , you may end up with a few angry customers.Some customer will try to take you for a free ride .Some nice mowers are boat anchors when it comes to fall clean up .Some worthless stamped metal wire tine dethatchers can become usefull.This fall will be a good time to evaluate you equipment and let your customer know you are going to stretch thier wallets open a little further.charge for all the work you do.

loom-gen
10-23-2007, 08:34 PM
If you have to bag leaves and grass plus mow you should definately charge more. I moniter my customers each seperately but all are charged for more work. Some reduce their mows to ten to fifteen days and are charged double or tripple the cost of a mow depending on the amount of debris. Some continue a weekly basis and are charged only five to ten bucks more because the debris accumulation is minimal. Don't sell yourself short, the work is too hard to do it for free. or worse yet, loose money.

mow town
10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your input, 66 & loom-gen. It's the type of info I need to know.