PDA

View Full Version : Too late to aerate ?

BonesMalone
10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
When is it to late to aerate? Our first ave. frost is 3rd week of October. Really cold is normally is at least 30-60 days from now. But with the weather we had this year nothing is normal anymore. Just wondering what the risk is in aerating too late.

jeffinsgf
10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
I think it depends mostly on the type of grass. If you have cool season grass, you don't want to aerate when the grass is in or preparing for dormancy. Since fescue around here (SW MO, a couple hours south of you) usually doesn't go dormant until around Thanksgiving or after, I would think you'd be good through the first week of November, but not much after that. In KC a few years ago, I verticut and overseeded my lawn about a week before Halloween. Everyone said I was way too late. We had warm weather most of November, the seed germinated beautifully, and I had the best looking lawn in the neighborhood the next spring. Could have gone the other way, though...if it had gotten cold in November, I might have lost my seed.

Stillwater
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
you are fine....

SouthShoreLandscape
10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Its never too late to aerate unless the ground is frozen, however you DO want to seed when you aerate so....find out when your type of grass grows best/temperature, so that you dont waste your seed.
Here in new york below 60 daily, you dont want to seed.
Its like 65 now during the day, however, I would do it for a one time customer, but not a regular customer whos gonna ask me why the seed didnt come up.

willietd2
10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Its never too late to aerate unless the ground is frozen, however you DO want to seed when you aerate so....find out when your type of grass grows best/temperature, so that you dont waste your seed.
Here in new york below 60 daily, you dont want to seed.
Its like 65 now during the day, however, I would do it for a one time customer, but not a regular customer whos gonna ask me why the seed didnt come up.

wont your seed go dormat and germenate in the spring?

SouthShoreLandscape
10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Some of the seed will lay dormant, Most of it will succumb to erosion and birds.

Stillwater
10-17-2007, 10:02 PM
wont your seed go dormat and germenate in the spring?

some will some will not

SouthShoreLandscape
10-17-2007, 11:16 PM
I write " Most of It will succumb to erosion and birds" and some will come back,
Then this highly educated gentleman writes" some will and some will not"
Very good.....well written!
Your reply shows you took time to think before you wrote your response!

Stillwater
10-18-2007, 01:10 AM
I write " Most of It will succumb to erosion and birds" and some will come back,
Then this highly educated gentleman writes" some will and some will not"
Very good.....well written!
Your reply shows you took time to think before you wrote your response!

As a matter of fact I am educated enough not to take offense to your choice to criticize my post that did nothing but serve to reinforce what you posted. It is only my educated guess that maybe you are the type of person that needs to beat complete strangers down to make yourself feel better if so thats ok, I am hear for you. But SouthshoreLandscape I do want to apologize for posting such a inadequate response to a basic question. In the future I will try to to better.

SouthShoreLandscape
10-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I sincerely apologize for "beating you down" on a public post.
It wont happen again.
I agree my reply was a little harsh.
Matt

Stillwater
10-19-2007, 03:36 AM
I sincerely apologize for "beating you down" on a public post.
It wont happen again.
I agree my reply was a little harsh.
Matt

Thanks Matt No hard feelings were good....

jeffinsgf
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Its never too late to aerate unless the ground is frozen, however you DO want to seed when you aerate so........

Everything I have ever read on the subject says that aeration should be done when the turf is healthy and actively growing. That excludes mid-summer for cool season grasses, early spring for warm season grasses, and late fall and winter for all grasses.

Overseeding isn't absolutely necessary with aeration, again depending on turf health and species.