PDA

View Full Version : did some tree removal last weekend

josh1981
10-17-2007, 01:17 AM
did some tree removal last weekend with my stihl ms 290 farmboss chainsaw and ms180c miniboss chainsaw. cut V in front, put piece of wood in front V, cut V in back, then backcut. trees came down nicely. had to use piece of wood cause I dont have any wedges. Used my stihl br600 backpack blower to blow off yard after.

pictures:

videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooXZP6AF6Ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4eQ2YCIHks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzPfXoW1S0

Runner
10-17-2007, 03:00 AM
LOL. Two things...Sharpen your chain. Tighten the chain on the 180, and oh yeah,...did I mention SHARPEN THE CHAIN? :dizzy: :rolleyes:

treedoc1
10-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Do you work in a deli at the local Food Lion? Or do you get paid by the slice for tree work too?

Oh yea, what Runner said...............................sharpen your chain

:)

Positive score on the PPE:clapping:

02DURAMAX
10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
I see no point on the clean-up video...and yes sharpen your chain!!!

Ron Marston
10-17-2007, 09:52 AM
i think i have a butter knofe sharper...sry

Petr51488
10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
First video- I think you shoulda made sure that the chain saw was warm so you didn't have to try starting it for 5 minutes lol

DoetschOutdoor
10-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe your chain is dull because you made like 4 cuts to saw down a 2 foot tall stump....??? Wouldnt it make more sense to just cut that little stump down at the bottom in one cut and be done with it?

gilatplc
10-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Maybe your chain is dull because you made like 4 cuts to saw down a 2 foot tall stump....??? Wouldnt it make more sense to just cut that little stump down at the bottom in one cut and be done with it?

second that!!!

another thing, I lend you a chain bro,, holy!~@#$:hammerhead:

climber
10-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Ya those videos were pointless get some of the cherry going over... And dont wear gloves using a chain saw you cant get a good feal for the saw and its easier to slip out of your hands... And Cherry isnt that heavy so do one or two stump cuts at the most. O and your vocabulary needs to be boosted talking about trees ok first the "v" cut is called a notch. And never do a back cut on an angle make it flat.

Dan

bugthug
10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
You just made my buddy the logger piss his pants. I however think you did a fine job

haybaler
10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
sharpen chain, buy bigger saw. buy a wedge, there only 4 bucks. it looks like a beaver cut these trees down.

josh1981
10-17-2007, 11:07 PM
new chains going on both saws (I have 2 chains for each). Im going to buy 2 wedges (1 for small trees, other for big ones). First video i ran out of gas lol. so why it took a while to start.

what kind of feel for the saw can I expect not wearing gloves?

haybaler
10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
oh, you one of those guys that doesn't know what a file is. please don't cut trees down on anyone elses property.

Petr51488
10-17-2007, 11:55 PM
new chains going on both saws (I have 2 chains for each). Im going to buy 2 wedges (1 for small trees, other for big ones). First video i ran out of gas lol. so why it took a while to start.

You're able to control the saw better without cloves. He has a valid point. It is alot easier to drop the saw, and thats the last thing you want to do when the blade is still spinning.

josh1981
10-18-2007, 01:30 AM
You're able to control the saw better without cloves. He has a valid point. It is alot easier to drop the saw, and thats the last thing you want to do when the blade is still spinning.

ill try it without gloves, but still will wear helmet, pants, boots

SimonCX
10-18-2007, 03:19 PM

If there new chains then your probably pushing too much, the rpms are dropping too much and it makes the saw bog down. Try not pushing the saw into the tree as hard and keep the rpm's smooth. I don't like wearing work gloves when cutting, I prefer thin tight gloves when working up in the tree or on the ground they give me better feel of the saw. Also it can be very bad to run out of gas in the middle of a cut you can seize up the saw if your pushing the engine hard.

climber
10-18-2007, 04:06 PM
You get a better feal for the saw meaning if your cutting up trees alot you'll know that people put all kind of crap in them. Such as nails and what not and with out gloves you'll be able to feal if you hit the nail. And when you can feal something hit you can pull your saw out before you damage the chain to a state of non repair. O and one other like the other guys said dont push hard on the saw just keep a slight pressure on the saw and the saw will cut fast and have a sharp chain longer to. (Let the saw do the saw, not you!)

Dan

daveyo
10-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm proud of you for wearing safety gear, if its cold wear tight, total feel gloves with grips, with a little more familiarity with the saws and how they work you'll be fine. Remember we all started somewhere, be safe.

josh1981
10-19-2007, 12:21 AM
thanks everyone. yea im still learning, getting there though. i will definately take everyones advice. more chainsawing to do coming up, more practice.

Uranus
10-19-2007, 12:44 AM
I like the deli slicer comment. Looked like you were slicing cheese. "Is this thin enough?"

ExclusiveLawnCare
10-19-2007, 02:36 AM
I like the deli slicer comment. Looked like you were slicing cheese. "Is this thin enough?"

Nope may I get alittle Thinner plus. Thank You.

Herrick
10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Please don't hold the saw like that while you're starting it either... place it on the ground and put the toe of your boot through the handle. One hand goes on the bar, the other pulls the cord. Wouldn't want you to cut your face in half...

climber
10-19-2007, 02:34 PM
The drop start is ok but just put the chainbreak on and you'll be ok...

Dan

haybaler
10-19-2007, 07:26 PM
The drop start is ok but just put the chainbreak on and you'll be ok...

Dan

ya, if your experienced. it's much safer to put it on the ground. the chain can still cut you pretty good even when it's not spinning.

josh1981
10-21-2007, 12:57 AM
practiced without gloves today. can feel the difference big time.

climber
10-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Thats good Josh I know it sounded like we were harping on you earlier but its all just to get everyone to do things better and safer.

Thanks Dan

josh1981
10-21-2007, 02:45 PM
its cool. i do the same thing. im going to read my manual again too to refresh myself on some things.

Thats good Josh I know it sounded like we were harping on you earlier but its all just to get everyone to do things better and safer.

Thanks Dan