PDA

View Full Version : Does any manufacturer make...

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-17-2007, 05:15 AM
A self-propelled dethatcher that also has a catcher for the debris as well? From what I've found it seems like one or the other.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
OOOK is that a no?

P.Services
10-19-2007, 11:07 PM
classen i think, and i have one for sale its not self propelled but i will give you a DEAL on it. its been used about ten times looks brand new come get it.

Jason Rose
10-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Bluebird used too... I never rented one personally, but I heard from several people that did that they were a total waste of time. If they weren't clogged up you were having to empty the bag every pass of two.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-20-2007, 07:45 AM
BrianDennis1470, Check your private messages.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Bluebird used too... I never rented one personally, but I heard from several people that did that they were a total waste of time. If they weren't clogged up you were having to empty the bag every pass of two.

Well that's not too promising then............
Thanks for the reply though. I know Bluebird made/makes a model (PR22) that has a collection bag, but as far as I know I dont think they had a self propelled model with a bag too. I could be wrong. I'm still not sure what would be the bigger advantage. I can either push the things around like I always have, which is a lot of work while emptying the bag every pass or so. Or I can have one that is self propelled but I still have to clean up the debris after. In years past I have just used a mower with a bag to clean up the thatch debris after. Really even if I have to empty the bag on the power rake often, it's still the same amount of debris that would have to be picked up anyway so I figured why not just do it in one step. At the same time I can see how they probably clog up before the bag is very full as there's not the air flow like with a mower and also it might be really hard to push it with a bag full of debris.

I really wish someone made one with both features. I'm sure someday it will happen. Probably right after I buy one with only one of the features. :cry:

John Gamba
10-20-2007, 08:04 AM
A self-propelled dethatcher that also has a catcher for the debris as well? From what I've found it seems like one or the other.

Toro made a sit down one with fingers:cool2: Look at there golf stuff.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Toro made a sit down one with fingers:cool2: Look at there golf stuff.

Thanks John I'll take a look.

John Gamba
10-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks John I'll take a look.

I dont know if they make it anymore.They are out there used.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I dont know if they make it anymore.They are out there used.

Yeah, I just checked their website and it looks like they currently only have the tow behind models. I'll have to keep my eye out for one of the used sit-on style ones you are talking about.
Thanks

jeffinsgf
10-20-2007, 09:48 AM
This isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but....

A tow behind lawn sweeper would be a lot faster and efficient than going over the thatched area with a mower and bagger. The sweeper holds about 5 times more than a collection bag, and has a 4 foot swath. I use mine for leaves every year. It also comes in handy if I wait just a little too long to mow and I get some windrowing. I can sweep the heavy areas without having to use my catcher for the whole yard (and losing the advantages of returning most of the clippings to the turf). It will even pick up the plugs after aeration if you want to get rid of them.

LindblomRJ
10-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Jeff

What brand of sweeper do you use?

I have been toying with the idea of a sweeper.

To answer the question of the dethacher I rented one once. Not very efficient. Seemed to spend more time un loading the bag than running the machine.

wahlturfcare
10-20-2007, 12:47 PM
i have a older bluebird that is not self propelled and has abagger but it works great. the only thing i dont like is that it takes for ever to use.
i use the one that i made for the front of my walkbehind/rider more as i can get a job done faster and bag everything at the same time.

jeffinsgf
10-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Jeff

What brand of sweeper do you use?

I have been toying with the idea of a sweeper.

Its Sears top of the line. I think it is made by Land Pride -- looks just like theirs.

Grass Happens
10-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I just follow the thatcher with a lawn vac that I picked up for 25$. I really really dont like dethatching...