PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Guys Do if squirrels chew up wires?

Dunn's
10-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Just wondering if you fix it for free or if you have a service charge you add in, Or if you came up with a way to stop this from happening. I ask because we do a pretty big display here at our house and every year we have atleast one wire chewed up by squirrels. We know it is squirrels because one year it was really bad and though someone was cutting them because they didn't like it. But sure enough keeping an eye out finally paid off when we saw the little critters chewing on them one morning and where they chewed it looked a knife cut them it was so clean.

turf hokie
10-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Funny you mention this. We would just fix it as part of the service. But like you my house is the only one that this has happened to so far. Had a chipmunk chew thru on of my c-9 wires on the driveway last week (Halloween display is up now)

David Gretzmier
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
we fix this as we go. I did 2 fixes like this on a property last year, and left the lights on 24 hours a day. next fix, removed deceased squirrel. next fix, removed, etc. no more fixes.

(wi) Roots
10-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Have the tree's trimmed. This is usually the first access to the top of the roof in the first place!

44DCNF
10-21-2007, 12:11 AM
I don't do lights, so I hope you guys don't mind me poking my head in here. I had a customer that asked me if I saw anyone messing with their lights (the ones on the shrubs and trees (wi)Roots). They had lots of cuts in them. I told them it was squirrels but I don't think they believed me. Anyway, I was wondering if spraying them down with pepper spray before uncoiling them and installing them might work. I kind of doubt it, figuring they probably don't do much tasting or they might realise it is not a branch. I am thinking the size and location makes them think it is a fresh youg stem with a nice juicy cambium.

Dunn's
10-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Have the tree's trimmed. This is usually the first access to the top of the roof in the first place!

Most Of the chewing occorences have happened on our near the ground.

(wi) Roots
10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Traps may help. Then it's a matter of relocation!

Rick Suddes
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Spray Rataway from www.Rataway.com It stops squirrels, rats, chipmunks, raccoons,
mice, dogs, cats, woodpeckers, coyotes, etc... from chewing & nesting

Use Rataway to protect farm equipment, bosts, motorhomes, homes, tc cables, electrical
boxes, water sprinkler's & drippers, plastic waterlines, car engines, trucks, heating & air conditioning equipment, attics, lawn chairs, bird feeders,etc....

David Gretzmier
10-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure I want to spray Christmas lights with a liquid that smells bad, as these lights get warm and will act as incense burners. Just a thought.

Rick Suddes
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Dear Dave

Rataway spray has a slight smell and it is not bad at all. I use it everyday in my air conditioning business.

hotrod1965
10-02-2008, 09:07 AM
seems like the time and cost to spray things might out wiegh just replacing a couple strands per year...