PDA

View Full Version : Electrical License/certificate needed for NY, NJ, CT?

Lawn Designers
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I have been doing lawns only for the past 2 yrs, mowing, mulch, trees and was very interested in getting into the low voltage lighting. I have always referred these jobs when my customers ask but I want to get involved. I plan on taking the appropriate classes, readings, and working with someone on the first few projects. I recently heard you need a licensed electrician even though it is low voltage, is this true? I know not all of my competition abides by this? Are the laws enforced? Fines? Please respond for above states.:nono:

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Contact Glen Nyhuis in NJ @ 973-518-2717. He can fill you in on everything you need to know regarding this issue.

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
New Jersey and Connecticut both require an electricians license. New York does not. I would check with your local inspectors to see if they require you to have one or not.

Lawn Designers
10-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I want to do this right and legal, but I think I would lose so much profit using a electrician to basically just put a plug in an outlet! I don't understand its low voltage, an electrician doesn't seem to be necessary. I will call Glen and see what he says, thanks Joe.

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 03:40 PM
I want to do this right and legal, but I think I would lose so much profit using a electrician to basically just put a plug in an outlet! I don't understand its low voltage, an electrician doesn't seem to be necessary. I will call Glen and see what he says, thanks Joe.

Its the elctrical union who are making a stink. They did the same thing in the north west a few years back. They see that the landscapers are making a bunch of money doing lighting and they feel they should be the ones to get the money becuase lighting involves wire nuts! I see their side but comeon, we are talking low voltage lighting. Next they will want the rights to wire your irrigation clocks and valves too.

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Its the elctrical union who are making a stink. They did the same thing in the north west a few years back. They see that the landscapers are making a bunch of money doing lighting and they feel they should be the ones to get the money becuase lighting involves wire nuts! I see their side but comeon, we are talking low voltage lighting. Next they will want the rights to wire your irrigation clocks and valves too.

This is it exactly but here's the kicker, they don't want to install the damn lighting!! The electricians don't want to mess with low voltage, they just don't want someone else to be making money on any kind of electrical work!! This is one of the reasons the the AOLP is so critical. We need to get the membership up so we can be a national voice that will be taken seriously in issues of this type.

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
There you go Lawn Designers, after speaking with Glen make sure you check out the AOLP website and join up. We need to strengthen our voice to help guys like you!!!