PDA

View Full Version : how do you all explain the pricing to the customers?

Dunn's
10-17-2007, 04:37 PM
How does everyone explain how you price when the customer first calls for Christmas light hanging. We have set a $400.00 minimum does this sound about right our do you thing it will scare them off. We are just wondering because we don't want to drive all over town giving estimates and not get any takers. So we figured that a minimum of $400.00 would help eliminate that. Because when you think about $400.00 isn't that much when you have to come out to hang them, come out to remove them and store them if they purchase the product through you. SO any ideas you have to help along in the selling of these services and our pricing would be greatly appreiciated and you can PM us any time about it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Team-Green L&L
10-17-2007, 05:02 PM
How does everyone explain how you price when the customer first calls for Christmas light hanging. We have set a $400.00 minimum does this sound about right our do you thing it will scare them off. We are just wondering because we don't want to drive all over town giving estimates and not get any takers. So we figured that a minimum of $400.00 would help eliminate that. Because when you think about $400.00 isn't that much when you have to come out to hang them, come out to remove them and store them if they purchase the product through you. SO any ideas you have to help along in the selling of these services and our pricing would be greatly appreiciated and you can PM us any time about it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Around here we just rent the lights to them and charge them $45.00 a mh to set them up. They don't want to keep them and they will never own them. WIN WIN.

Dunn's
10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey team green thanks for responding. Just wondering do you have minimum charge for these services. We where thinking $400 min. that is what we have told the two customers that have called so far. We where thinking maybe making it $360.00

wurkn with amish
10-17-2007, 05:16 PM
tell them up front about your $400 min., sound confident its worth it and let them go friom there

turf hokie
10-17-2007, 07:13 PM
We tell them our minimum and then tell them our average sale. This eliminates the tire kickers right off the bat. We did a $500 minimum last year and realized that once we installed, serviced, removed and stored the lights we really were not making that much so we raised our minimum this year.

David Gretzmier
10-17-2007, 11:24 PM
stay away from the renting and per hour thing. when people own the lights they are more likely to use you next year. once you have custom cut lights for a home you have to re-cut them for another home etc. per foot is the way to go. Christmas lights are too dangerous to do for 45 bucks an hour. we had 5 accidents on 2 crews last year full time, one accident already this year. we'll do 150 properties or so this year with 3 crews. you've got to make more than 45 bucks an hour to make this worthwhile. I can make 60 bucks an hour on the ground. In Arkansas.

I don't have a minimum, but I say on the phone last year our cheapest job was 380 ( insert minimum here), that house was a cute little 800 square foot cottage that was a quick job and was perfect when we were done. the largest job was a house 5, 6 times that size, wreaths, mini-lights, garland, steep roof and took a ton of time. it was around 5500 dollars ( insert dream number here, we actually say 12000 now because we do 1 or two jobs around 10 grand, one last year was 60 grand ). how big is your house? the answer is usually 2500-4000 square feet. they'll get it.

turf hokie
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Definately stay away from the per hour. But we rent the lights. That way they cant try to do it themselves or try to find someone cheaper in years 2and 3. Also, when something needs to be replaced we will just replace it and not have to go back to the customer for a replacement charge. Makes life easier. But I guess it boils down to what works for you.

(wi) Roots
10-21-2007, 12:16 AM
An itinerary of options is helpful. Are we talking about roof, windows, sidewalks, driveways,daytime decor, or all above? When porposing let your customers know it is not an all or nothings choice. But, let them decide what they wish to light. As far as not wanting to drive and give an estimate, that is your choice. Which bring me to ask why thread in the first place?

Dunn's
10-21-2007, 11:56 AM
There is a big difference in driving to customers, who have a genreal idea of a price of service and also no matter what are going to get someone to do it, like cutting their grass. But most people have no idea on what it will cost to have lights hung. Most think under $100 is plenty. :laugh: :laugh: and once they find out the cost they A: either get their lazy @$$ out there and do it themselves. Or B: Realize they can not afford this luxury service that truly is for the wealthy only and put no lights up at all this year.

(wi) Roots
10-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Do a market search I mean you'll find most folk who ask for installation of Christmas lights will have the following in mind: Don't have a clue where to start. Don't want the risk of injury by someone falling off the roof. Unable to cllimb the latter. Didn't get the effect they wanted the first time around. Don't have the time. Want to give it away for a gift. Yes, I've installed lights for someone who want to give it as a gift. Having company over. Want to show off. Wanting to keep up with the Jones's. On and on.............. So, what I'm saying is unless you absolutely know your market. I think your selling your self short to some untapped potential.

Dunn's
10-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't see untapped potential if they aren't willing to spend our minimum of $400.00. If anyone see's how we are missing untapped potential. We would sure love to hear of a way to get this market, But like I said under $400.00 is not a market and we could not make any profit doing this at all.

Not trying to be rude, just don't understand what your are saying is all.

cpel2004
10-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Next time take a baseball bat with and a big dude name BUBBA! They'll get the message.

Dunn's
10-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Next time take a baseball bat with and a big dude name BUBBA! They'll get the message.

What?.....................

turf hokie
10-22-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't see untapped potential if they aren't willing to spend our minimum of $400.00. If anyone see's how we are missing untapped potential. We would sure love to hear of a way to get this market, But like I said under $400.00 is not a market and we could not make any profit doing this at all.

Not trying to be rude, just don't understand what your are saying is all.

Our minimum is almost double your number. We started out with 400 as our minimum 3 years ago and found that you really dont make much money at that price. But it was a good start to get business flowing and get our name out there. Besides the customer doesnt much for $500 anyway. The $500 crowd is not who we cater too. If they arent willing to spend around $1000 then they probably dont understand or arent serious about the service we provide

Team-Green L&L
10-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey team green thanks for responding. Just wondering do you have minimum charge for these services. We where thinking $400 min. that is what we have told the two customers that have called so far. We where thinking maybe making it $360.00

We don't have a minimum in writing, because of the light rental pricing, but the average home is at $150.00 mo. for the setup. We leave them up for 3 mos..

So, I guess the answer to your question is that our "minimum" is $450.00, but we are supplying the lights.

Dunn's
10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Well we have our first real estimate tommorrow So we will see how it goes and have to figure out our pricing with the bright lights.

(wi) Roots
10-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Simple door hanger placed out in area's you wish to install your lights. Sign on your vehicles, signs on your job while your installing and after. hat's and uniforms. All are marketing tools to help in your sales. As far a minimum 400.00 You know your market better than I. When I started out and wanted to get my name out there I gave 3 installment free to area of potential. Getting your name out there for us was primary. Everything else was considered support activities. Anyway, by giving your clients choices, you are in fact horizontally intergrading future work should they consider next year to have some other lighting choice that was not in the budget this year. They can refer to your list as a way of calibrating expense to future work. This is what I'm saying.

David Gretzmier
10-23-2007, 01:35 AM
we did a few key houses for free. got nothing off it, and folks complained. advertise, send postcards, do an article for the local paper announcing the new division in your company. allow yourself to hang the customers lights for a year or two to get work and experience. the first few years are rough in the Christmas biz. dave g

(wi) Roots
10-23-2007, 09:12 PM
What were the complaints? I completely agree with you dave on the first year. However, for me it was never my intention to land the job I lit for free. But, exposure to my company. Being a new start up three years ago I built my company with Christmas lights. Now, I've grown to offer mowing, fertilization and weed control, and Christmas lighting. In this way, I am able to cover most of my bases here where competition is tough. But, not impossible.

Dunn's
10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
How do you guys do payments? Do you have 100% up front or do you have 50% down and the other 50% once the display is up and working? Or any other ways?

hotrod1965
10-25-2007, 06:22 PM
We take 50% down and rest do once installed.

David Gretzmier
10-28-2007, 11:28 PM
50% down on new work for the total of install, takedown,storage. other 50% is due upon install completion.

TXNSLighting
10-29-2007, 10:38 AM
My biz partner wants me to do holiday lights but im still on the fence. Im not the biggest fan of heights, and its getting a little late in the year to start. but we got one house to try it on, i guess ill see how that goes.

BrandonsLawnAndSnow
10-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Does anyone Know where I can purchase a fake wreath, something bright, 3 ft diameter, for out doors?

hotrod1965
10-30-2007, 09:17 AM
I can get you nice wreaths when I put in my next order. PM me and we can talk about it.

BrandonsLawnAndSnow
10-30-2007, 11:43 AM
I can get you nice wreaths when I put in my next order. PM me and we can talk about it.

I', not sure how to P.M.,,i am new to this, is there a website that you can give me? Give me a call alter today if possible after 6.
(313) 304-6719

Thank you