PDA

View Full Version : History of Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting???

NightLightingFX
10-17-2007, 05:12 PM
For my personal reference and curiosity, I am trying to create a timeline / history of low voltage lighting. This is what I have so far. What other info can you guys give me and is what I have so far right?
-1960’s Bill Locklin developed low voltage outdoor lighting and begun
Nightscaping
-1975 Compact MR16 light source developed for projectors
-70’s & 80’s ??? what kind of low voltage lighting was being used? What
manufactures were around?
-1988 The International Dark Sky Assoc began (IDA)
-late 80’s early 90’s what kind of low voltage lighting was being used? What
manufactures were around?
-1992 - Janet Moyers Book
-Mid & Late 90’s ????????
-2000 Nate Mullen / Unique develops the hub system
-2007 Inception of AOLP
Thanks
~Ned

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
93 Nate Mullen teams up with an Electrical Engineer to wind the first Multi Tap transformer to 22v.

Nate did this becuase he discovered that the VD theory Nightscaping was teaching was incorrect.

Soon there after Unique Lighting was founded.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 06:07 PM
oooh Ned! This is going to turn into a doozie of a thread. I wan't to be the first to say "please no bashing!" This will be a good thread for some interesting info. Please don't spoil it with personal preferences and/or defensive attitudes. Please? :waving:

Chris J
10-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Ned, do you want ANY info regarding LV lighting such as when each manufacturer came into the market? Or are you specifically talking about major developments? When was the LVLIA established?

NightLightingFX
10-17-2007, 07:03 PM
I would love to know about when manufactures came in and also when the LVLIA began. I am interested in all kinds of historic lowvoltage lighting info.
~Ned

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow, this is going to be fun. I'll be back.......

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
93 Nate Mullen teams up with an Electrical Engineer to wind the first Multi Tap transformer to 22v.

Nate did this because he discovered that the VD theory Nightscaping was teaching was incorrect.

Soon there after Unique Lighting was founded.

Damn, sounds like someone is rewriting history...:laugh:

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 09:41 PM
oooh Ned! This is going to turn into a doozie of a thread. I wan't to be the first to say "please no bashing!" This will be a good thread for some interesting info. Please don't spoil it with personal preferences and/or defensive attitudes. Please? :waving:

Awww shucks...:rolleyes:

Chris J
10-17-2007, 09:41 PM

I did say please, didn't I?

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Don't forget to mention the very brief entry in to the market by Rain Bird called Night Bird.. they were all stainless fixtures as I recall, around 1990 maybe...

JoeyD
10-17-2007, 09:46 PM

Which Part?

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
This is straight from Nightscaping's website. A little wordy, but you can pare it down to the basics:

Before there was Nightscaping® Bill Locklin was a Redlands, California electrical contractor who specialized in agricultural electrical services and maintenance. In his spare time he would experiment with 12-volt lighting powered by automobile batteries and headlight lamps to see what kind of effects could be created with this more efficient light source. This hobby earned him a call from a client who wanted outdoor landscape lighting for his home. Locklin learned this client was expecting some very special guests and the lighting had to be completed before their arrival.

Locklin immediately went to work devising a plan. He began designing inconspicuous outdoor fixtures from mayonnaise jars, painted coffee and fruit juice cans, automobile lamps and 12-volt batteries. He improvised and experimented. He invented low-voltage landscape lighting and coined his lighting motto, "See the effect and not the source."

The client was so impressed by the professional lighting system Locklin had provided on such short notice he invited Locklin to meet his special guests, President Eisenhower and his wife, First Lady Maime Eisenhower. This chance meeting resulted in another lighting job for Locklin. The president himself wanted a lighting installation at his vacation retreat for an upcoming event.

The installation for Eisenhower was such a success that the politicians, foreign dignitaries and social elites who attended the event wanted this kind of lighting for their homes. Thus Nightscaping®, Locklin's landscape lighting manufacturing company, was born.

The success of his hobby that as he says, "got out of hand," motivated Locklin to further his industry and craft. He continued doing lighting installations for everyone from the Sultan of Brunei, the CEO of Honda Motors, and all of the Mrs. Joneses living on your street U.S.A. As others in his industry began to more fully understand the lighting ideas, moreover the business he pioneered, competition began to infiltrate his market. Locklin was inspired. His creation that had sprung forth from the bottom of a coffee can was revolutionizing the landscaping industry.

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Which Part?

Well, lets talk voltage drop formula, but lets take it over to a new thread and not clutter up this one.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Darn it Gregg you beat me to the punch! I was just rooting around for a copy of Bill's book to put a similar synopsis on here.

You gotta move fast to stay ahead of Gregg... he is wikipedia personified.

50 Bonus points to the person who can post up here the year that Nightscaping was formed as a company.

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Darn it Gregg you beat me to the punch! I was just rooting around for a copy of Bill's book to put a similar synopsis on here.

50 Bonus points to the person who can post up here the year that Nightscaping was formed as a company.

Wikipedia personified? Me? That means I'm full of questionable opinions represented as facts, huh?
Just remember mister, I've got a search engine and I know how to use it!

Ummmm... As Loran, Inc.? 1959? Just guessing.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 10:40 PM
What happened to the Skull logo Gregg? It was growing on me. Didn't suit your taste?

irrig8r
10-17-2007, 10:43 PM
What happened to the Skull logo Gregg? It was growing on me. Didn't suit your taste?

I was supposed to represent Halloween/ Dia De Los Muertos/ All Souls Day, but it scared me too much. Here it is if you care to use it for anything.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Jeez! No, I don't wan't to use it. Now I've got to go piss.

ccfree
10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Here are a few facts that I know.

1959: Nightscaping introduced their low voltage lighting line on the market
1960-1969: Kim introduced their low voltage line
1970: Malibu plastic lighting kits introduced
1974: Toro and Luma introduced their low voltage line
1975: Hadco introduced low voltage plastic line
1976-1984: Adjusta-Post-BK Lighting

1985: First MR-16 low voltage lamp introduced. Vista, Lumiere, and Intermatic introduce metal line of fixtures
1986-1987: Rainbird "Night Bird" low voltage line introduced
1989: FX Luminaire and Greenlee introduced line
1990-1991: Focus Industries introduced line
1991: Nightscaping introduced stainless steel transformers
1992: Vista and Sylvan introduced stainless steel transformers
1996: UL 1838 low voltage standards written
1996: Nightscaping introduced H30 transformers and IQ
1997: FX Luminaire introduced stainless steel multi-tap transformers
1999: FX Luminaire introduced first modular component transformer
2000: Nightscaping introduced modular component transformers, Focus introduced stainless steel transformers with 2 clocks, FX Luminaire approved for UL 1838 safety standard.
2002: Currently 50+ manufacturers of low voltage lighting on the market.

NightScenes
10-17-2007, 11:02 PM

How about July 10, 1962. That was the date that the name Nightscaping was first used.

Chris J
10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
By the way, how's your law suit coming?

Chris J
10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Craig seems to have a bunch of info! Is this some kind of passion of yours, or an OCD?

ccfree
10-18-2007, 07:26 AM
I guess you could say it has been a passion of mine for over 10 years. Can't get enough of it.:weightlifter:

NightLightingFX
10-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Craig
Thanks for the info. No I feel enlightend
~Ned