PDA

View Full Version : Server Busy......ALWAYS!

PlatinumLandCon
10-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Why do I get a notice that the server is too busy, try again later almost every time I try to click something or post a reply.

Supper Grassy
10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Mostly at night right

PlatinumLandCon
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
I actually tried to post this thread since 4 this afternoon.

carcrz
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
It's every night @ about 7 - 8:30 for me.

Supper Grassy
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Mike, or MODS
Are there any plans to upgrade the severs for less "down" time or time that they are busy?

PlatinumLandCon
10-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree with super grassy. We're at 2 million posts and 62000 members and its looking like the server is getting maxed. What is the capacity of the server anyways?

robbo521
10-20-2007, 02:21 AM
i dont think anybody looks at the Server Busy post because its been going on for a long time and nothing done yet.i get it every night and late in the day.as much as these sites bring in and stuff it should not be a problem to do a upgrade.

mkroher
10-27-2007, 07:47 AM
the server itself probably doesn't need an upgrade. It's the way the webserver is configured. With the amount of hits this site gets, I hope it's' on a dedicated server and not a shared box.

Sean Adams
10-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry guys - I haven't been ignoring you, I have been checking into this and we are seing what can be done to make things run smoother - lot of people, lot of activity so we are trying to see what our best option is....focusing on it through the weekend and will let you know....in the meantime, I apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

carcrz
10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the update Sean.

Supper Grassy
10-27-2007, 03:33 PM
sean thaks for the update and i am sure that no one is mad because you haven't posted we all(most of us) understand that you are doing your best.

robbo521
10-27-2007, 09:23 PM
thank you and keep up the great work.

Sean Adams
10-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks Guys - I am workin on seein what can make this server situation :weightlifter:

Dirty Water
10-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Sean, its time to put this server on a dedicated host, if its not already.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to hire an admin to setup the server properly. Given the number of database errors I see here, it looks like a lot of optimizing could be done.

chuckwk
10-28-2007, 07:17 PM
LawnSite has had dedicated server service for many years now... the database is spread out over more than one machine (to share the load over quite a few cpu's) if im not mistaken.

Dirty Water
10-28-2007, 09:40 PM
LawnSite has had dedicated server service for many years now... the database is spread out over more than one machine (to share the load over quite a few cpu's) if im not mistaken.

I doubt you are clustering the database for a simple Vbulletin forum. If you are, thats pretty sad for mySQL.

We serve around 300,000 hits per day with a single SQL Server box.

topsites
10-29-2007, 04:13 AM
Two things I can think of are server optimization and resource overhead reduction...

For example, with 21 sponsor buttons, are these buttons 'saved' to the server's hard-drive and loaded locally, or are they, as is often the case, still being loaded from the sponsor's server (remote)? If so, each of these connections is just one more thing to bog down the visitor's experience, any one of them slacks and it pauses and hitches and glitches.
If the referral link itself isn't good enough for tracking, time for another sponsor was always my attitude.

I hate to say it but I never made any real money from sponsors over the years, google was one exception but that petered out over a year's time, there was one or two others, and at one time the revenue was considerable but still it far from covered even the most basic of my costs. I lost much of the drive in all of that, but my attitude today is if I have to run a site for free then I can do that without sponsors.

They never did nothing for me except treat me like they're the boss and I'm their employee, the master-slave relationship irked me to no end at some point, I couldn't do it anymore, much less for the pennies a month they were paying, more than a few times did I suspect one or more was skimming, too... Sure enough, my site ran FAST without them, wow I was really amazed.

One thing that did work out for a time was to 'sell' the space out right, I set it up via online payment and more than a few folks purchased space on my site over time... At 25-30 dollars a pop it was still a loss leader for what was then permanent placement, but it was 5-10 times the revenue I made the old fashioned way, that much I did notice.

As for the server, all too often an admin runs unnecessary services, things such as Tomcat come to mind... Honestly I think the only thing a server absolutely needs are http, email, spam control, a light version of statistics tracking, sql php and perl, maybe python.

Beyond that there are *nix config files that can be tweaked, I believe httpd.conf is one of them, among many there exist more than a few tweaks that can be executed which help considerably.

I used to serve just over a million hits / day on a 900 mhz duron, it wore me out to keep up with it, but supposedly that same server should've been good for 10-15 million data requests / day... Honestly speaking thou, I think much past 2-3 million would've started the hitching.

I can't remember the exact configs, but I ran it as bare bones as I could get away with, whether the traffic required it or not, server optimization to me is sop for a sysop.

Don't forget to back up everything first :laugh:

Charles
10-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Sean, its time to put this server on a dedicated host, if its not already.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to hire an admin to setup the server properly. Given the number of database errors I see here, it looks like a lot of optimizing could be done.

I haven't had a data base error in a long time. Maybe some have.

TLS
10-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I haven't had a data base error in a long time. Maybe some have.

And at 5:19AM you likely never will! :laugh:

DLCS
10-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I get them every so often, usually during busy times in the evening.