PDA

View Full Version : Greeeeaaaaatttttt News!!

scottm1
10-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Nobody could possibly be happier than I am right now as I am here in southeast Missouri standing at my back door in pouring rain, casually watching the 600 lbs of fescue I planted a week ago wash down the hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't that the greatest news!!!!!!!! [obvious sarcasm]
I COULD NOT BE F'N HAPPIER!!!!!

scottm1
10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Sorry, I just needed to let off a little steam about that.........Anybody have any idea of what to do now?

mow town
10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Was the seed insured?

carcrz
10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
seed again once the rain stops. Really about all you can do. One thing I really try hard to do is water in thoroughly right after overseeding so that the process can begin. I guess I always hope that it will help your problem from becoming mine.

mow town
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Sorry, scott. Couldn't help myself.

cantoo
10-17-2007, 11:02 PM
On jobs like this I try to seed only 1/3 to 2/3 of the seed and then go back and overseed later if I don't get a good enough catch. If I do get a good catch I keep the seed for the next job. I also throw some wheat down to hold back the seed some. Course 2 weeks ago I was doing a lawn and we got a sudden downpour and I mean downpour when I had about a 1/3 done. First the wind blew most of the seed away then the rain took the rest away. I just started over the next day as if I had never been there. I've been afraid to go back to see how it looks. Maybe tomorrow.

scottm1
10-17-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm not really sure how much damage has been done. I have never seeded a brand new yard from the very beginning before. This is a new house with a yard started from nothing. I bought a 2 acre wooded hillside and built the house. 2 weeks ago there was nothing but dirt that had been tilled and box bladed. The new grass is actually coming up quite well in many places. I don't know if all of the rain we are having will damage the grass that is already coming up or not. I do see ruts in the mud on the hillside already and I think it is suppose to continue to rain all night here. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

JB1
10-17-2007, 11:31 PM
look at it as your own contribution of stimulating your local econmy when you buy more seed.

big_country
10-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Blow straw if you decide to redo it, sounds like you didnt use any.

DuallyVette
10-18-2007, 12:41 AM
600 lbs of seed? Must be a big lawn. I'll pay for the seed if you can send me 5 inches of rain tomorrow, and another 5 inches of rain in a couple of days. Thanks in advance.

scottm1
10-18-2007, 01:04 AM
I did straw it after seeding. THe lawn is 1.5 acres. Yes 600 lbs is a lot, and I knew it was more than required from everything I read, but I figured a little more would be better. I did put down starter fertilizer before spreading the seed, then blew 80 bales of straw, then I put down 18 bags of calcium. I have been watering the heck out of it the last week and a half and it has been doing real good........right up until this heavy rain tonight has probably washed it away. I think it has rained around 2 inches today so far, and expecting more tonight. We'll see

scottm1
10-18-2007, 01:05 AM
I did straw it after seeding. THe lawn is 1.5 acres. Yes 600 lbs is a lot, and I knew it was more than required from everything I read, but I figured a little more would be better. I did put down starter fertilizer before spreading the seed, then blew 80 bales of straw, then I put down 18 bags of calcium. I have been watering the heck out of it the last week and a half and it has been doing real good........right up until this heavy rain tonight has probably washed it away. I think it has rained around 2 inches today so far, and expecting more tonight. We'll see:walking:

DuallyVette
10-18-2007, 01:17 AM
It sounds like you did all that you could. 60,000+ sq ft 600 lbs seed- 10 lbs per 1,000 sq ft on bare ground...sounds right to me.

So... wheres my rain, I'll send the check

loom-gen
10-23-2007, 10:47 PM
So what's the deal? it's been a week. hows the lawn? I'm on the edge of my seat here.

scottm1
10-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Well it is raining like a bit## here again. Been raining all day today and yesterday too. After the first rain that provoked this thread, the damage wasn't as bad as I first thought it would be, but still bad enough. The areas that were already coming up survived pretty good, but the areas that was still seed got some washout. The hillside got some gulleys that I am sure are getting deeper and wider as I type. I am going to be doing some dirt work next spring to fill them back up, and planting more seed. What is the latest a person can seed the areas that got washed away? IS it getting too late this year. WIll I have to wait till spring to reseed?

loom-gen
10-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm in KC area and we had some gully washers here too. I had only two if my renovations washed away though. Its a bit#@ but I will dormant seed and they should be happy. I gave a guarentee but sometimes it has to be done to get the job.