PDA

View Full Version : Strangest jobs you have done?

Fieldman12
10-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Okay, what is the strangest jobs you guys have done. I guess moving rocks is one for me. I have a buddy that has been paid $350.00 dollars before to lift a small tree out of the back of a pickup with a skid steer and set it where they wanted it.

Fieldman12
10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I guess moving rocks is not really that strange I guess because people do want it done but not as common of a job.

RockSet N' Grade
10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Everyday is different and that is what makes the work fun. The thing I find most strange now, is the variety of excuses people can come up with not to pay.....especially when the work has been completed and they no longer need you.

I had a woman call and wanted two 3' rocks moved from their old house to their new house across town. OK with me.......ended up those two rocks were the only things she had left that her father had given her. The most unpleasant job I get called to do is by the vet or homeowner to dig a grave for a horse they are going to put down. So I dig, vet puts the horse down, and then we bury the horse.........it breaks my heart everytime I do it.

Fieldman12
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I would have to say digging a hole for a horse would not be fun.

kreft
10-17-2007, 08:06 PM

I second that.

jd270
10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
i once did a job for a guy that involved moving his old hot tub off his deck and put his new 10,000 dollar one in its place .......of course the deck was at just full lift of the loader and backed up to a pond on a slope ....as far as moving boulders i do it all the time people will pay an amazing amount of money for a rock

P.Services
10-17-2007, 08:36 PM
had a lady call and said she had a rock in her yard she did not want any more, so i load up the skidsteer and pick-up to go and see this rock that was mine now. this thing was bigger then my truck!!! needless to say the skid wasn't the machine for that job.

kreft
10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
had a lady call and said she had a rock in her yard she did not want any more, so i load up the skidsteer and pick-up to go and see this rock that was mine now. this thing was bigger then my truck!!! needless to say the skid wasn't the machine for that job.

WOW! How did you get it out, what machine did you use?

P.Services
10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
we buried a 50 ton low boy and pushed it on with a pc200 excavator and a d61 dozer. then drove the truck out of the hole. i know of one thats so big both of those machine couldn't even budge it. i want it so so so bad but the guy wont sell it to me it just sits out in his field. don't find to many rocks that big in your life.

Mike33
10-17-2007, 08:56 PM

I buried a dog one time impossible to hand dig and it was very hot. Dog was large had to be a deep hole. Funny thing we just built 2 walls and re did yard and i wondered how this lawn would ever due with this dog walking and crapping every where. 2 days after job was done we got a call if we would bring back our equiptment to bury dog.
mike

Scag48
10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
I got a call last year to go out and spread some dirt in a yard that was less than 300 square feet. They wanted the topsoil brought in and someone to spread it. Of course our crew was busy on a job, so I just dropped some dirt with the dump trailer in the AM, came back with our 303, move the dirt about 10 feet behind a small planter box wall, loaded up and left. I was there about an hour from unload to load. $250 was the bill, I had other stuff going on and basically pocketed that cash from the old man :drinkup:

capelawncare.com
10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
I know a guy who circumsized elephants at the zoo, pay wasnt that great, but the tips were huge!

SiteSolutions
10-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Have dug a few shallow graves for cats, which i don't mind to bury. I would have a hard time burying something both practical and beautiful like a horse.

As for out of the ordinary, I dug a pit for a septic tank with my loader one time. Not a strange job, just not the normal machine to do it with. Also used a mini ex to reach out into a creek and bust up a beaver dam. And a month or two ago, a guy came by a job I was doing and asked if he could have a little gravel, so I loaded his little plastic wheel barrow using a mini ex. He was elated. Guess I saved him having to shovel it in there; I just wanted to get him on his way and not have him around while I was digging.

cddva
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
I got to dig my first grave for a horse about a month ago. I believe it had passed about 24 hours earlier. She had me dig close by the body which was a good thing. The odor was getting a little unpleasant but all went pretty well. It was kind of a somber experience. I did this for a neighbor and figured I wouldn't charge anything. After wards she asked what she owe'd and I said no charge. She insisted on paying me and said how about $100. I said OK I'd appreciate that and she said she'd drop a check by later. I'm still waiting. I didn't really know her very well but I think I have a good read on her now. Next time she calls in desperation asking for help (like she did for this).....well, enough said.

Dirt Digger2
10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
i've loaded a wheel barrow with a Cat 943, went down into an existing septic tank with 4 feet of risers on it, had a guy ask me to drive down the road with my 943 to give him a bucket of dirt (i didnt)...nothing too wierd though

bobcat9957
10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
About 3 years ago we dug a large foundation like 80x40 and the form guys came and poured it then we backfilled it. A week later the called and found a new plan they liked better so we went back and caved the new foundation in and redug it. I guess some people just have to much money. Luckly for them I am not afraid to take it.

2004F550
10-19-2007, 12:48 AM
dug quite few graves for horses and other things, some dogs:cry: , moved the soccer goals on and off the fields for the local soccer assoc. with a loader, 4 times a yr, kinda different work

GreenMonster
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM

You ever owned horses? It's not so bad.

We graded out a riding ring this spring for a gal in town. We brought in a load of sand, and she wanted us to add in her pile of shavings and horse manure... it made it "softer" for kids if they fell off the horse.

It's wasn't extremely pleasant harley raking the ring with all the shavings blowing into the cab. I had one of our guys installing a fence at the same time. He would run for cover everytime I made a pass near him so he wouldn't get nailed with flying horse poo.

Fieldman12
10-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Well, I use to be in horses in 4H when I was young. All we ever had was a pony. I use to ride the neighbors horses.

GreenMonster
10-20-2007, 11:53 PM
We had a very mean horse we had to put down. She had a split door in her stall. The top was only about a 1.5' opening because when you walked past her stall, she would try to lunge out at you with teeth showing. She got me once in the riding ring while my wife was taking her saddle off. Horse bites hurt. Finally, she reared up one day and tried to come down on my wife with her front legs. That was her last mistake.

backhoe1
10-21-2007, 11:17 PM
So far this summer I've:

Dug 2 horse graves

Dug holes for 2 trampolines to be installed level w/ ground

Completely excavated 1 side of a garage to remove huge rocks that were in the way for the HO to install a trellis.

Probably more strange ones if I think hard enough

Construct'O
10-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Back in my younger days i hand dug the holes for a outhouse:rolleyes: Does that count?????:usflag:

gammon landscaping
10-22-2007, 12:11 AM
i have a few grave digging stories. first we had a neibor that had a 20 y/o poddle that had been blind for 5 years. well on day it died and she called dad at 6 am and told us it had passed, she wanted us to bring a backhoe of a job so that we could bury it. dad told her that we would just hand dig it when we got in from work. well we get in from work go to her house and the dog is still laying in the living room where it died. well she then tells us that she has a box to bury him in, this thing was huge probbably 2'x2'x3' well she was crying so we just put the pup in the box and asked where she wanted it buryd. well the dog apparently peed on the same dead pine tree every day and she wanted it buryed there, so we started digging. she then tells us that it should be 6' deep we tell her 4' deep is fine. well we get the hole dug the dog in the box and the box in the hole, we start to cover it then she comes out and askes if we made sure the dog was looking at his tree...... so we had dig him back up turn the dog around (now keep in mind that the dog had been blind for 5 years and now is dead and is 4 feet in the ground) so that is the oddest burial i have done.

i have dug many a grave for cattle and houses, i guess the oddest is the first one dad sent me to do by my self. now normaly we just dig the hole really close to the cows back then just slid him in the hole. well i show up and they tell me were the cow is ......at the edge of there property in the woods which is in the middle of a rock pile. i had to take the back end of the hoe and drag the cow 150yds to a place i could dig a hole. the ole girl was pretty rough by the time i got her to the hole. kind of poked a few holes in her and probabbly broke some bones also , felt really bad about this but i got it in the ground

RockSet N' Grade
10-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Gammon........we always bury a horse with the head facing to the east (native american tradition, the east is the place of new beginnings).

Constructo: I worked on a ranch in Colorado and the septic system overflowed. We had to clean the septic tank out.........with 5 gallon buckets. We called ourselves "honey-dippers".

Backhoe1: I live in the land of no birth control, where the mentality is to "set the souls free" and most families have 5 plus kids. Tramp pits are an everyday occurance here........if you can't afford to cloth them, at least you can have them bouncing up and down in your back yard. Some home insurance companies will not give you home insurance unless your trampoline is flush to the ground.

Construct'O
10-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Gammon........we always bury a horse with the head facing to the east (native american tradition, the east is the place of new beginnings).

Constructo: I worked on a ranch in Colorado and the septic system overflowed. We had to clean the septic tank out.........with 5 gallon buckets. We called ourselves "honey-dippers".

Backhoe1: I live in the land of no birth control, where the mentality is to "set the souls free" and most families have 5 plus kids. Tramp pits are an everyday occurance here........if you can't afford to cloth them, at least you can have them bouncing up and down in your back yard. Some home insurance companies will not give you home insurance unless your trampoline is flush to the ground.

East new beginning??????? All this time i thought it was the other way around "Go west young man":confused:

As far as clean the septic, with the outhouse you just moved over and covered up the pooooooooo!:dancing: :usflag:

Dirt Digger2
10-22-2007, 02:45 PM
cleaning septics...i never thought it was a "odd job" but i pump poo a lot...it really isnt that bad..cleaning porta potties is far worse

Fieldman12
10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
So allot of you guys dig holes to bury animals. What do you charge to do a jobs like that? Do you still charge the same as any other job or less? I think some said you have done it for free. By the way I have hauled allot of manure over the years when I worked on the hog farm and injected it into the ground. I remember the baby pigs when they would die we would load them up in a regular manure spreader and spread them on the field. We would then disk them in like any thing else. We had a bone pile in the woods for the big sows and bores.

dozerman21
10-22-2007, 05:18 PM

What do you guys charge on average for a tramp hole? Average round, 12-15ft., or whatever they are. I've never dug one. Do you just dig down a few fet and level, place the trampoline inside, and use the dirt generated to make it flush and grade out? Is there more to it than that, and what's an average charge? I'm sure I'll be asked to do one sometime. We have them all over the place. You even see them in the backyard of a half million dollar house.:rolleyes:

Fieldman12
10-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I know what a trampoline is but have not seen a tramp pit around here. Anyone have any pics??

backhoe1
10-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I always charge atleast my normal hourly rate.

Tramp holes-I only dig hole HO hasto install tramp into hole, I don't want responsibility for when it falls in on a big rain. Unless of course they want a retaining wall built inside but most only want a hole!!!!

RockSet N' Grade
10-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Trampolines around here are either 14' or 16' in diameter. I overdig 1'. Use a laser for the bottom, and usually dig the bottom 6"min. deeper than the 30" high trampoline. No gravel on the bottom, no grading of the material that comes out of the hole. I can dig one with a flat bottom and round sides in 1 1/2 hrs. I charge $450 min. plus transport fee (min $150). Most "happyhomeowners" around here want to build their own round support wall and put the gravel base in themselves. They make a real nice metal ring with a rubber top, but it is about $1300.......so alot of folks try all sorts of things from cinderblocks, 4x4's, home depot build it yourself blocks.......you name it, I've seen it and usually come back in a year or two and put the metal ring in.

RockSet N' Grade
10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Fieldman.........I will avoid doing the horse burial all I can......My emotional index is pretty high when it comes to horses and I have dreams that are not pleasant that still bother me. My last burial was two at one time side by side. $1,ooo. is what I charged.........I prefer to price myself right out of that market. I sat there while the folks said their good-bys, watched the vet shoot them up and watched them drop over stone dead. Dealing with the emotion of that whole deal is just not worth a dollar amount to me anymore. I guess I would do it as a favor for a friend

Construct'O
10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Trampolines around here are either 14' or 16' in diameter. I overdig 1'. Use a laser for the bottom, and usually dig the bottom 6"min. deeper than the 30" high trampoline. No gravel on the bottom, no grading of the material that comes out of the hole. I can dig one with a flat bottom and round sides in 1 1/2 hrs. I charge $450 min. plus transport fee (min $150). Most "happyhomeowners" around here want to build their own round support wall and put the gravel base in themselves. They make a real nice metal ring with a rubber top, but it is about $1300.......so alot of folks try all sorts of things from cinderblocks, 4x4's, home depot build it yourself blocks.......you name it, I've seen it and usually come back in a year or two and put the metal ring in.

Hy! Rock
how do you get the perfectly round sides to come out.Start in the middle and work yourself out to the outside ? or dig the cirle first like footings then clean the center out of the circle.

Never built one of those,in fact never see any here either.Probably because the hole would be full of water here,unless your installed a drainage system.

Ours would be dual purpose pits ,pool when not in use for the tramp players:rolleyes: :usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
10-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I stick a stake in the middle with a nail on top. Hook my tape on the nail and then pull either 8' or 9' radius and spray paint circle. My 36" bucket has side cutters, so that helps. Level up machine with grading blade down and start cutting outside ring about 1/2 way. Back out machine and move to area where I haven't cut and start cleaning out from there and continue to clean and cut as I go so now at least 3/4 of the hole is done. Reposition the machine one last time so I can track around the outside of the pit and clean the last of the sidewalls and finish the bottom as I track around the last 1/2 of the pit. That is the fastest way I have found. The key for me is I have side cutters and a butterblade on my 36" bucket so it makes for a nice floor and nice side cuts. Did I explain it ok?

Construct'O
10-22-2007, 10:14 PM
On the minis the crowding of the bucket to the outside of the trench doesn't seem to be the toughest.So you have to cut and crowd the trench hard to keep your side coming down straight.

I didn't know if you was starting in the center and coming out to the outside edge. That way you would be cutting straight into the bank when you got to the outside an come straight up the bank when you got to the outside edge.

Work it in sections like cutting a pie,slicing the circle.

Two help the sidecutters work better i would guess you making the outside edge cut first to help hold the bucket tight to the outside.

I liked the spray paint idea.Good going .Better then using flags for this job.I'll have to keep that in mine for a few of my jobs.Thanks!!!!:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Constructo, I cut the first half of the circle like a trench, maybe a little more than half, then reposition back and around into the area where I didnt cut facing into the circle. Start cleaning out my "trenched area" and out into the center area as much as I can as I back out of the circle. Now, I am out of the circle, reposition so I can track around the last half.....finish cleaning the side walls and clean the floor as I go around the second half.....If anyone can think of a faster way, let me know, I am all ears......

Construct'O
10-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Making that outside circle edge is the hitch that takes time looks to me,without having a lot of overcut.Your probably doing it as fast as you can sounds like.

As GR would say there is always dynamite.:rolleyes:

The other thing! That would only have taking me 5 minutes!!!!!!:) *trucewhiteflag*

Thats the responses i usually get.Of course anyone can reach in their magical blackhat and pull a better number out.Right !Carry on.

Thanks again, you old softy you.I read your horse post.

You never anwsered the headed east question yet tho????:usflag:

Fieldman12
10-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Actually when I just got my skid and before I got my teeth for the bucket a neigbor came over and asked if I could bury his dog with the machine.

RockSet N' Grade
10-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Constructo....thought I answered. Native American way of thinking, in a nut shell, is that there are six primary directions: North- the way of strength, West- the way of the old, South-the way of the child, East-the way of new beginnings, Above and Below. As far as "Go West Young Man", those days are done........the population migration seems to be from both coast's inward toward the heartland right now OR if you are talking about the super-rich, they are buying the east coast of Mexico, dredging channels inland for boat access and building multi-million dollar week-end retreats. It is fascinating to me that the general real estate market is falling in value, but the homes from $7 mill and up are continuing to rise 1-3%.......at least that is the case in California in that price range.........Anyways, there's the nutshell on NSEW for ya.......

Kepple Services
10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I got mine just this week. I get a call at 8am monday. Seems overnight around 12:30am someone decided to steal a loader from a local jobsite and attempt to remove 2 ATM machines from a local bank. All they managed to do was push them, and the surrounding wall 5 feet into the building. I go to remove the ATM's from the bank so they can retrieve the cash that is left in them(the would be robber or robbers didnt get a dime) as well as clean up the total mess that was left. Took about 4 hours to complete.

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 09:57 PM
You should have told them what was on the ATM's should be enough to cover your services. :)